When Carry-ons Don't Fit

So if I am a customer that pays 1200.00 to fly coast to coast, that isn't more then covering the costs? So you would then be able to defend to me, the customer, spending 1200.00 for the luxury of sitting in a center seat, unless I pays the 15.00 for an aisle? That 1200.00 doesn't include:

15.00 for an aisle seat in coach
6.00 for checking 2 bags (3.00 each)
30.00 for two carry-ons (your proposed 15.00 each)
10.00 for a meal
5.00 for a headset
10.00 for the two rum bottles (5.00 each)
2.00 for the two cokes (1.00 each)
5.00 for a pillow / blanket pack

So what did US Airways give me, the customer, for my 1200.00? We needed another 83.00 for all the "perks" of flying a "full service" "low cost carrier"? And that is just one way! :shock: 166.00 round trip for all the "perks".

So if I am a customer that pays 1200.00 to fly coast to coast, that isn't more then covering the costs? So you would then be able to defend to me, the customer, spending 1200.00 for the luxury of sitting in a center seat, unless I pays the 15.00 for an aisle? That 1200.00 doesn't include:

15.00 for an aisle seat in coach
6.00 for checking 2 bags (3.00 each)
30.00 for his two carry-ons (your proposed 15.00 each)
10.00 for a meal
5.00 for a headset
10.00 for the two rum bottles (5.00 each)
2.00 for the two cokes (1.00 each)
5.00 for a pillow / blanket pack

So what did US Airways give me, the customer, for my 1200.00? We needed another 83.00 for all the "perks" of flying a "full service" "low cost carrier"? And that is just one way! :shock: 166.00 round trip for all the "perks".

I'm not a numbers guru, my forte is people, my guess is your 1200.00 ticket is subsidizing 85 people who paid less than 350.00 to be on the same flights!

Also, if you paid 1200.00
All your drinks would be free
Your meal would be free
Your headset would be free
You would be allowed to bring on 1 bag and a personal item for free
You would only be in a center seat if that’s all we had at the time you booked your seat. Priority seating would apply to YOUR ticket. In the name of service I would reassign a discount customer out of a window/aisle to make you happy.

OK, so let's look at a family of 4 going to Disney World. Traveling Tuesday - Tuesday in June. Ticket price per person: 185.00.

740.00 for tickets then there is the "perks":

30.00 for (2)aisle seats in coach so the family can sit together
12.00 for checking 4 bags (3.00 each)
90.00 for (6) carry-ons (your proposed 15.00 each)
40.00 for (4) meals
20.00 for (4) headsets
10.00 for (2) beers for Dad 5.00 each)
3.00 for (2) cokes and a juice (1.00 each)
10.00 for a pillow / blanket pack for the kids....

Total of $215.00 EACH WAY for "Perks"! Now, WN is a competitor in the PIT-MCO market.

Ticket price is 740.00

No charge for Aisle seats (and because I have kids I can board in group A)
No charge for checking a bag
No charge for carrying a bag on
No meal - so we stop at Mickey D's for half the price
No inflight entertainment - guess we bring more crayons
10.00 for Dad's beer
No charge for sodas and juices
No charge for pillows and blankets.

You do the math.....215.00 for perks on US or 10.00 for (2) beers on WN and no inflight entertainment. Where is the benefit of flying a "legacy" carrier?

BTW - subsidizing customer traveling on lower fare tickets is not going to make me happy that you want to nickle and dime me to death. You have to have a better arguement then that......

Also, if you paid 1200.00
All your drinks would be free
Your meal would be free
Your headset would be free
You would be allowed to bring on 1 bag and a personal item for free
You would only be in a center seat if that’s all we had at the time you booked your seat. Priority seating would apply to YOUR ticket. In the name of service I would reassign a discount customer out of a window/aisle to make you happy.

How am I going to get free drinks, free headsets, free meals, free checked and carry-on bags? Now you are creating inconsistent policies. So if I pay 350.00 I get service charged to death, but if I pay 1200.00 I get everything free? what happens when I pay 600.00? I get a free carry-on? With every B class fare purchased I get a coupon for a free checked bag? When I am in Coach, do I have to show my ticket stub and credit card statement to prove I am entitled to a free meal, headset and drink? And I would just love to see the knock down, drag out fight you would get trying to move Bob or Art out of their window/aisle seat when they paid their 15.00. Do you think Bob or Art care that I paid 1200.00 for a ticket. They would probably laugh me off the plane because I was stupid enough to do that in the first place. :blink: :p

andyperkins,
You need to subscribe to the KISS theory. For years I heard the crews complain about the cheap tickets in the back or too many frequent fliers gouging the system. Yet, when any of the crews had to go buy an actual airline ticket, they went for the cheapest fare. This is the way it is now. You're right, your job isn't numbers nor is it figuring who paid what on the plane. It's all about giving good customer service. Keep up the good work and the rest will follow.

Eye

Y'all, please keep in mind that "Nazi" is an incredibly emotionally and politcally charged term.
Many people still find it offensive, and don't like to hear it thrown around casually as a joke.
That said, I am not one. I used to use the term myself until someone called me on it and I was ashamed.
When we are out of room, I will not argue w/a pax who wants to bring their bag on anyway and try to find a space. Half the time they are successful!
I tell them, go ahead and look, but if you can't find a space, bring it back up here and we'll check it.
Most realize they don't want to be the one all are watching as the futiley look for a spot, and then delay the flight as they have to drag it back to the front.
But, hey, no letter in my file for 'arguing' w/pax!

PS, If you physically assault flight crew, you will most definitely be yanked from the flight and be in more trouble than it was worth, you will wish you had just checked the dang bag.

How can you justify using the sizers when they aren't even close to being the actual size of an overhead? I carry 2 bags that don't fit in the sizers but absolutely fit in the OHB w/o any difficulty at all. Why should I check a bag in that situation when I know it will fit? Don't you think you're being unfair to the pax?

It is not a matter if the bag will fit or not. It is a matter of limiting the size of that bag so others may SHARE that overhead bin. If your bag takes up all the room.....no one else can put a bag in. Get the point?

Y'all, please keep in mind that "Nazi" is an incredibly emotionally and politcally charged term.
Many people still find it offensive, and don't like to hear it thrown around casually as a joke.
That said, I am not one. I used to use the term myself until someone called me on it and I was ashamed.
When we are out of room, I will not argue w/a pax who wants to bring their bag on anyway and try to find a space. Half the time they are successful!
I tell them, go ahead and look, but if you can't find a space, bring it back up here and we'll check it.
Most realize they don't want to be the one all are watching as the futiley look for a spot, and then delay the flight as they have to drag it back to the front.
But, hey, no letter in my file for 'arguing' w/pax!

PS, If you physically assault flight crew, you will most definitely be yanked from the flight and be in more trouble than it was worth, you will wish you had just checked the dang bag.

desertgal,
You've got the right attitude letting the passenger try to find a space. You'd be surprised how many of your colleagues do not even allow the opportunity to let a passenger find space. Like I said, I am finding more flight attendants on the west side that seem a little too eager beaver to make people check bags when there is space on the aircraft. I think many of these folks have not been flying awhile. I don't have this problem flying with the east crews. I just think they've been flying long enough to know what fits and what doesn't just by looking at it. I've been sitting up front a lot lately on west flights and I see and hear the confrontations first hand. The majority of time there is space in the back. Let people try. BTW, the "Nazi" term is intended to be a put down; political correctness does not apply to this terminology.

Eye

Management says to check bags if a delay is to occur when the bins are full.THIS IS A ON TIME ISSUE. Why not let the plane sit there and we go thru the bins and rearrange the carryon to accommodate all carryons.Because ON TIME is the driving force here. Management is expecting and demanding front line employees not to get delays on this issue. It is all about ON TIME. You want it management wants it the front line workers have to deliver it. Ground time could be extended to accommodate carryon but stage length would be jeopardized. Bottom line we don’t take delays do to carryons. This is managements directive.

... Two elites with the 3 suit bags that fold over with semi rigid frame. The[y] do fit in the overhead but are at minimum twice legal size. Maybe we as customers need to have this rule enforced? ...

Every now and again, passengers remind the gate agent about one + and then go on to point out people with to big or to many bags. Once, the gate agent had to explain that reading material and devices for alternatively enabled passengers are exempt, but airport purchases of perfume or cigars where not. Three garment bags, not allowable. One garment bag that fits in the overhead bin but exceeds allowable size limitations, not allowable.

Whatever happened to the screening machines in security having those plastic covers that would only allow a certain size bag through? This would allieviate this problem. If the TSA would restrict it at security (won't fit through the opening) then you cannot bring it on an aircraft.

As far as "elite" or any other self proclaimed status.....rules are rules. Just because Grandma only flies once a year does not mean she must obey and the "frequent complainers" I mean fliers don't have to.
The last time I checked, the United States didn't have royalty and FAA does not recognize ANY frequent flier programs.

As far as "elite" or any other self proclaimed status.....rules are rules.

your magnificence DP has so proclaimed us elites. Bow to the great one.

Oh, you must be one of those I referred to in my post about drink service...rules are rules...until they apply to you i am sure.

Latest posts

Back