Where do we go from here? This is sad information

TWU informer

Veteran
Nov 4, 2003
I hope this is not a sign of times to come for use here at AA.

Political commentator and radio host Glenn Beck took a shot at an American Airlines flight attendant on his radio show Tuesday.

Beck, who lives in Westlake in Tarrant County, said he was treated like a "subhuman" on a flight home to DFW airport.

Said Beck: "On the way home I flew American Airlines, a Texas-based airline. I, unlike all of the other passengers, was not offered the option of courteous service.

"My flight attendant nearly -- merely barked the word 'breakfast' when he came to me. When others were politely asked if they cared for anything to eat and given the choices, I was just barked at. When he delivered a soda, he slammed it down so hard, I hesitated to even open the can for fear that it would spray all over other passengers in the cabin. By the way, the other passengers, nobody else had to open their can. He opened it and poured it for them. Never once did he look me in the eye. Never once did he offer a kind or even a neutral word to me. I had service unlike I have never had ever before in my life, and I have had rude service before. I lived in New York City. I have never had service that was specifically designed to make me feel subhuman. Oh, I had it. He put on quite a show as he fawned over the other passengers proudly and loudly performing his life story about being a former Israeli soldier and how he was so proud of the very liberal cities in America."

Beck said he will never fly American again.

Said Beck: "So as I was deplaning, as he was standing next to the pilot, I said to him, 'I want to sincerely thank you for not treating my children the way you treated me.' His response? 'It was my pleasure. You deserved it.' The pilot didn’t say anything, nor did the other passengers, but they probably didn’t know what was going on. I remembered yesterday, as I was driving home from the airport, the airlines used to make an announcement at the end of the flight that says, 'We know you have a choice in airlines and we’re glad that you chose us.' I wondered if American Airlines was happy that I chose them. Are they happy that other conservatives even fly in their planes? Are they glad to be based in Texas, or is this just an unfortunate stopover on the way to one of those many liberal cities their employees are so proud of? I know yesterday I did have a choice and I chose wrong. I chose to fly with American Airlines. I do have a choice. And my family will never choose American Airlines again. I and my family will choose another carrier. If this is the kind of people that American Airlines likes to hire in the service industry."
At 48, Beck has taken many career twists and turns, beginning with stints as a radio disc jockey that evolved into his delivering political commentary on CNN and the Fox News Channel.
Last summer, he moved into a big house in Westlake and now operates his radio program from a studio complex in Irving.

"I’ve lived in Texas in the last few months and I had forgotten why I needed my security detail,"

Beck said. "It’s funny because as I compared New York and Texas, there’s not everybody in Texas agrees with me. There’s a lot of liberals in Texas. It’s funny. We all have a neighbor here in Texas who is an Obama supporter. All of us do. But we’re neighbors first, Texans second, and Republicans and Democrats somewhere way down on the list."

Beck went on to opine more on the situation with the flight attendant:
"I watched him and I wondered: Does this make him feel better somehow? It’s sad because I think it did. As I sat there, I wondered how many things we would actually agree on, how many things did he actually believe about me that aren’t even true. I wondered if he was ever made to feel like a second class citizen before. I wondered if he had any friends and family in the dark years of Europe that made them feel less productive. I wonder if his friends and family ever felt like they were less than a welcome member of society because of their faith or who they were or what they believed.

"I had lots of time to ponder things. I wondered what I had done to this flight attendant from American Airlines that caused him this much pain that he as a grown man felt justified and uplifted by taking his pound of flesh. What had I done to him personally? Did I wrong him personally? Or was he just taking his pound of flesh and acting out for the collective? Would he tell stories later in the day about how he treated me? Would he revel in those stories as he told his friends? Would he laugh -- would they laugh and jeer with him and tell him how proud they were of his behavior? I wondered. I wondered if a guy like this flight attendant for American Airlines, if he were in a group of like‑minded people and that group of people were in power. I wonder if he and his friends would feel it rational to march me through the streets with a sign around my neck mocking and frightening anyone away who might want to stand with me. I wondered. Surely not. This somehow was different. This was just a small indignity."
"... You see, I grew up in a family-run business. 'The customer is always right' is what my father taught me. I wasn’t trying to make a point. I just wanted to be treated as a human. Apparently that’s not the way at American Airlines anymore, unless they vote the way you do, unless you vote the way they do. I lost my cool as I walked off the plane, as I was told I deserved to be treated worse than any airline attendant would have treated a dog. I shouldn’t have lost my temper."

This is what AA does not take in consideration. AA expects best service at the cheapest rates, it just do not work that way. The employees must be treated with respect and that is something that AA lately seens to have no clue. Get profitable at the employees expense is not a smart move, thats looks easy but have a high cost. AA have to be more creative.

Reactions: 2 people
American cannot afford poor customer service to ANYONE at this point in time. Customer satisfaction has to be the #1 priority. In the information age we live in with the grassroots power social networking, we should not be rude to anyone, because anything can go viral at this point. Mr. Beck is a person with a lot of influence and a huge platform. This should serve as a sobering reminder that we work in the service industry and EVERYONE (even people you disagree with politically) matter. I have seen thousands of people post on his Facebook and website today that they will NEVER fly AA again. Hope the damage is not irreversible.

Reactions: 1 person
So it is alright to spew your hatred for all on the radio, but you can't show contempt for someone in person? Humm, it doesn't seem like he missed out on anything, just that he didn't like how it was delivered. Seems like he may not like the "new" AA service we are all being taught. I say in jest. Sad that a customer didn't like his F/C service, but at least it sounds like the rest of the fam did.

Reactions: 3 people
Never, as in wont buy a ticket on AA today, all forgotten by tomorrow. Just like all the people who weren't ever going to fly United again after they"lost" the kid last week. People have really short memories.

Histrionics from Beck? I'm shocked, just shocked!

Conveniently missing from this overwraught tale of woe is the other side of the story. 'Course equal time isn't exactly one of Beck's strong suits...

So it is alright to spew your hatred for all on the radio, but you can't show contempt for someone in person? Humm, it doesn't seem like he missed out on anything, just that he didn't like how it was delivered. Seems like he may not like the "new" AA service we are all being taught. I say in jest. Sad that a customer didn't like his F/C service, but at least it sounds like the rest of the fam did.
Really your a clueless dolt that just doesn't get it. I truely hope your not an AA FA

Go ahead Mr. Beck, Fly on someone else. You will probably get the same treatment on the other carriers the ones that you cheered when they screwed their employees over as they lost their pensions,pay,and benefits. What goes around comes around.

Reactions: 2 people
I never said the FA was wrong. I am agreeing that Beck has a very large platform from which to tell his story and the FA has to deal with any results from a customer service point of view. If the FA batted right-wing radicals, if that is what Beck is to the FA then don't let your employment become jeopardized.

I listen to Glenn Beck, and by the above quote, you must listen to him as well. While you were listening to his show, what exactly did he say that was "hateful?"

Exactly, Glen Beck is as from a person of hate as I could think to list. He might be conservative, he might have contemp for Government, but hate? No way.

I would like to know from the F/A how successful AA would be and his career also if only "certain" and agreeable customers were allowed on AA Aircraft. No doubt this was "political", but AA, and the employees need customers more than anything else to survive.

I bet this F/A demands to be treated fairly, and that tolerence be given to his views and way of life, and then he steps out and treats someone badly because of their views. Can you spell H-Y-P-O-C-R-I-T-E?

Reactions: 3 people

Latest posts