Wisconsin

We shall see. If the WI supremes take the case and uphold the law then things will get very very dicey

The supreme court in WI is "dicey" already, given that it has it's own dramatic element after this last election.

Meanwhile, the rest of Walker's equally bad budget needs to be addressed as well. He's backed off of some components, but not nearly enough of them.

Justice Department asks state Supreme Court to vacate collective bargaining ruling
http://www.jsonline.mobi/news/statepolitics/122749469.html?ua=iphone&dc=smart&c=y

Madison - The state Department of Justice asked the state Supreme Court on Friday to immediately vacate a judge's decision that voided a plan by Gov. Scott Walker to greatly limit collective bargaining for public workers.

In its filing, the department said Dane County Circuit Judge Maryann Sumi made so many errors in a ruling Thursday that the Supreme Court should throw out her decision even before it hears oral arguments in the case June 6.

"These errors amount to a fundamental denial of due process and reveal the extent to which the circuit court was willing to exceed its jurisdiction in order to invalidate a politically controversial act of the Legislature," wrote Deputy Attorney General Kevin St. John.

That the AG made this move is probably the least surprising development of all. My only question is how long it took from Sumi's gavel hitting until this was filed...

From the article:

The department said the case should be thrown out for several reasons, including because lawmakers are immune from civil cases during the legislative session. The court also acted improperly because no hearing was held to determine whether violating the open meetings law was enough to void the collective bargaining law, the department said.

Whats that sound? The air being sucked out of Sumi's decision!

I regret to inform you...................

Fox News:

Wisconsin's Republican governor has won a major victory: the state Supreme Court says his polarizing union rights law can go into effect.

Gov. Scott Walker pushed the law that eliminates most of public employees' collective bargaining rights and forces them to pay more for their health and pension benefits. He says it's needed for the state to address its budget problems.

The law passed in March after weeks of protests that drew tens of thousands of people to the state Capitol. But the law has been tied up in the courts since a Democrat filed a lawsuit accusing Republicans of violating the state open meetings law during the run-up to passage.

The Wisconsin Supreme Court said the judge had no authority to interfere with the legislative process.

So I guess they'll burn down the state?

Walker and his ilk are doing enough to rip this state apart as it is.

I suspect the protests in the coming days will be as peaceful as they've been all along, if for no other reason than to give the far right fits.

Focus on recalls should heat up as well...

You know, this same issue went down in a neighboring state in 2006 without a whimper from labor....why?

Haha! Can I get a "Yes we can"!

istockphoto_1321911-pink-lips-kiss.jpg

Back