Would you drink the tap water?

Runway Girl

Jan 8, 2008
Lancaster, PA
I've just written a blog about US Airways' $2 charge for water bottles, and I'm curious - as a US Airways crewmember, would you drink - or have you ever drank - the tap water? Do you think passengers will be tempted?

When you're tempted to drink the water...
Just how potable is the tap water on US commercial aircraft? That's the question this frequent traveller is asking after US Airways announced it will charge $2 for bottled water in its domestic coach cabins beginning 1 August. The answer, it seems, is "not so much".

MOD NOTE: Please see your PMs

I've just written a blog about US Airways' $2 charge for water bottles, and I'm curious - as a US Airways crewmember, would you drink - or have you ever drank - the tap water? Do you think passengers will be tempted?

When you're tempted to drink the water...
Just how potable is the tap water on US commercial aircraft? That's the question this frequent traveller is asking after US Airways announced it will charge $2 for bottled water in its domestic coach cabins beginning 1 August. The answer, it seems, is "not so much".

Back in the 80s when I first started, we never had "bottled water". We used to use the tap water on the aircraft and as long as the aircraft was not filled in Mexico, it was okay to drink. (We also used to have the small cups dispenser in the bathroom for brushing your teeth) I'm not sure if it has filtered though.

To tell you the truth, I don't care what the company says. If someone is thirsty, I'm not going to deny them water especially in arizona when it can get up to 120 degrees! Even if I have to use melted ice for water, I'm serving them.

They didn't even have bottled water when some of us started flying and it never killed any of us drinking from the tap. The procedures are the same today as they were back then. And look at how many people drink the coffee or tea. It isn't boiled so it does not kill any germs. People are just paranoid. Every single passenger will be "taking a pill" if they think they will get bottled water for free. I am tired of throwing so much waste away around here because people take something because it is offered for free.

working crew members will be able to consume nonalcoholic beverages onboard the a/c free of charge. so no, i will not be drinking tap water while working the flight .

To tell you the truth, I don't care what the company says. If someone is thirsty, I'm not going to deny them water especially in arizona when it can get up to 120 degrees! Even if I have to use melted ice for water, I'm serving them.
actually. the company will not be upset if you do this. they actually expect the f/a to use good judgement in these types of situatons. and you my friend are using good logic and judgement.

I drink from the hose all the time in PHX... If you can still drink PHX water, and have the strength to load 4 flights, I think anybody else across the system can.

It's when the lav driver fills it with blue juice, THAT'S when you don't want to drink it! :p

If you have ever seen them change the water filter, you would not drink it.

And the lav connection from the hose is differant from the potable water so that doesnt happen, lol!

If you have ever seen them change the water filter, you would not drink it.

And the lav connection from the hose is differant from the potable water so that doesnt happen, lol!
The water filter on the fridge with city water is nasty too after a month but I still drink it.

The question is how often are the a/c tanks cleaned out? The sediment is nasty after a while.

Do you think US Airways will put some sort of protocol in place to ensure that flight attendants don't become too generous with the water? Will the carreir monitor how many bottles are being dispensed for "medication" and other requests?

Back