Would you drink the tap water?

The question is how often are the a/c tanks cleaned out? The sediment is nasty after a while.

A look at in RGOB in DCEC (shows a/c undergoing mtc) DECS often shows aircraft being treated with biocide (called kapec or something like that). Something that happens every X many days/cycles? I wonder how often water is tested.

I doubt that heating water for coffee/tea does is the same as "boiling" for the purpose of sanitizing suspect water. But people drink it without ill effects.

Do you think US Airways will put some sort of protocol in place to ensure that flight attendants don't become too generous with the water?
They may try, but most of the FAs pretty much over the silly policies coming out of Tempe.

A few weeks ago the subject of potable water on aircraft came up on another chatboard. A researcher in airline crew health had some interesting links, but that site is down right now. I’ll post a link when it’s back up.

Some people are into the 5 second rule for food too. It might not kill them or make them sick but the floor is still nasty.

I drink from the hose all the time in PHX... If you can still drink PHX water, and have the strength to load 4 flights, I think anybody else across the system can.

It's when the lav driver fills it with blue juice, THAT'S when you don't want to drink it! :p

I think we've just discovered the KoolAid recipe! :blink:

PLEASE tell me that for $2.00 we are going to give individual bottles. I cannot FATHOM selling a "party cup" of water for that price. No way.

Just remember if you see a "way too young Eastie" with an USAPA lanyard and he's way too cute to be an active employee...to...hook him up with the free soda(s) and munchies from up front ;) Y'all know who I am by now with my crazy non-rev adventures across the Atlantic and North America.

I would not drink anything which originates in a US Airways tap.

I remember being on a UA EX (yes, Mesa operated) IAD-PHL CRJ-200 flight a few years back. Still wet behind the ears FA thought she'd make it easy on herself by doing a water only service on the short flight with few passengers. She got her water set up, straight from the tap, no ice. To her surprise, there were no takers. I would have had to have been in the middle of the desert for a few hours with no other options before I would have even thought about trying it.

Biocide is a generic term, it could also be used to purify water.

A biocide is a chemical substance capable of killing living organisms , usually in a selective way and commonly used in fields such as medicine, agriculture and forestry. Large quantities are also used in industrial applications preventing fouling in water and oil pipelines. The distinction between a biocide and an anti fouling agent or a disinfectant is often vague. As an example, chlorine is used as a short-life biocide in industrial water system, but a a disinfectant in swimming pools.

A biocide can be:

A pesticide, which includes fungicides, herbicides, insecticides, algicides, molluscicides, miticides and rodenticides.
An antimicrobial, which includes germicides, antibiotics, antibacterials, antivirals, antifungals, antiprotozoals and antiparasites.

I think we've just discovered the KoolAid recipe! :blink:
Sir, that is just absurd to think that OBEY DOUG PARKER... DOUG PARKER KNOWS ALL, WORK FOR FREE.... they would put anything in the water that affects our judgement.

Oh, and I love Scott Kirby and the IAM!

US Airways is required to "test" water. This is the reason we have had flights operate without water at certain times. I would probably not drink the water unless it's been heated..(coffee, tea), but I wouldn't be afraid of it.

I'm serious, it's just like drinkin from the faucet here in PHX, and like drinking from the hose back in the mid-west!

If you're thirsty enough, you'll drink anything.

Back