Would you drink the tap water?

I was working an F28 one time and the mechanic had to change the water filter, it had long green "booger" type gel coming off it when he changed it out.

All my years working the line as utility we never cleaned the potable water systems, I believe it is only done during an HMV visit or when the water tastes bad.

Now I have drained them and refilled them.

Now the potable water trucks are supposed to be cleaned on a monthly basis and the chemical used was called Purogene, not biocide, biocide was only used in the fuel system.

Before 3R PUROGENE, chemicals were used to purify drinking water; chemicals that took hours to work and left a bad aftertaste. 3R PUROGENE makes water fresh and sweet the moment it enters the container, from a drinking glass to a plastic, metal or fiberglass storage tank.

3R PUROGENE is nontoxic and biodegradable, presenting no harm to the environment or the user. One ounce of 3R PUROGENE will purify up to thirty gallons of water, as well as control the buildup of slime and odor-causing bacteria in any potable water system on boats, campers, trailers and RV units. Two drops of 3R PUROGENE added to an eight-ounce glass of water instantly converts it into a pure, spring-fresh drink. It costs less than 3 cents per gallon for pure, safe water.

3R PUROGENE is EPA approved, as are all of 3R products. 3R is working in cooperation with nature to keep you healthy and free of contaminants.

We currently pay less than 20 cents a bottle for our water…

According to many consumer advocates, most bottled water is no different from… or... is… tap water.

The packaging and marketing of bottled water is one of the most cunning scams to ever be perpetuated on the consumer population. I think it’s even better than the “sugar water and co2â€￾ (Soft-Drink) marketing scam!

Let’s hear it for Corporate America!

The question is how often are the a/c tanks cleaned out? The sediment is nasty after a while.
I don't know what the cycle is at US, but during my time at NWA before the strike, we (maintenance) did the narrow bodies every 14 days and the wide bodies every 30 days. That included draining the system and filling it with a mixture of purogene and vinegar with water as a disinfectant. You then had to run it through all of the spigots and coffeemakers, then let it site for one hour. You would then drain the system and fill it with fresh water and flush all the spigots and coffeemakers again. We had our potable water tested at our station occasionally. I know I was very meticulous in completing this task as. Many times this job was pencil-whipped.

I could understand ceasing free beverage service on short-haul flights, but anything over two hours is pushing it.

Welcome back and yeah...I was thinking they should have just ceased beverage service on all flights under 1,000 Miles...and enable it on Midcons/Transcons/Transatlantics/ and add in TransPacific in the legal language if we ever do China flying,

We currently pay less than 20 cents a bottle for our water…

According to many consumer advocates, most bottled water is no different from… or... is… tap water.

The packaging and marketing of bottled water is one of the most cunning scams to ever be perpetuated on the consumer population. I think it’s even better than the “sugar water and co2â€￾ (Soft-Drink) marketing scam!

Let’s hear it for Corporate America!
It depends on where the tap water comes from. If is from SAN it sucks bad. If its
from PDX it's glorious. Still, like you allude to, folks in PDX are really into
their bottled water.
But I wouldn't drink the PW out of any airplane. Who knows how long its been
there. I would drink the water out of the PW hose just like I would coming out
of my hose at home. Water out of a city water supply is very well regulated
but some tastes better than others.
One spot that I think could be cleaner is the ice we put on the planes daily. Often
some of the melted ice from the day before gets mixed into the new ice. And
the rampers who handle the sometimes bang it on things to break it up. And
no one's watching to see if they've washed their hands either. But this is in the
field stations when flts are not catered. Its probably better in the hubs.

I say drop the charge for H2O and lower the charge for sodas to a dollar. That's
my 2 cents. BF

I won't even wash my hands with tap water on an aircraft and especially a US Airways aircraft. I bring Purell and wet-napkins. With US Airways "filth you can really see" method of aircraft cleanliness, I would advise everyone here to do the same.

Back