Wtf Happened In Phl Today?

How long do you think it will take for the place to "fail" once they put him in charge with the outcome being he get fired?

I remember years ago we had a senior VP of Mtc who was told by Gangwal to get the MEL couont down below 100 in one month or else. It was an all out campaign to keep the MEL's up. They steadily stayed at 300. Guess what he was gone. Within days they began to drop and leveled off at 150.

So not really a fair deal, unless you know and like the outcome.

lindy said:
I talked to OCC several times throughout the day. The biggest problem was the computer that keeps tracks of the daily staffing went OTS.
[post="198890"][/post]​

Absolute BS. In fact your whole post is BS. You don't have a clue about the PHL ramp operations.

There were a ton of sick calls. Management tried to make day shift stay (mandatory OT) but no one did. It's only going to get worse.

It was the lead news story on the most watched news program (ch 6) in the PHL area last night at 11:00. They showed a chart that showed only 5 agents working 7 gates on C-concourse last night. It also showed that the minimum should be 21 agents for those gates, and also showed that a couple of years ago those gates were staffed with 46 agents (which was actually all of C-concourse and not just 7 gates).

In all this fiasco and mess, who suffers?

The employees who have to try and make things right. Think of all the man/woman hours and aggravation that we as employees have to put up with.

Yes, it could be managements fault, and yes it could be employees f'n around, but ultimately your coworker has to make it right. :angry:

D M G said:
Absolute BS. In fact your whole post is BS. You don't have a clue about the PHL ramp operations.

[post="198935"][/post]​

1. I know much more than you think.

2. When have you not known the media to sensationalize a story such as this. Give me a break.

Answer me this question. Why do we not have these types of problems in PIT/LGA/BOS? These cities have a history of strong pro-union affiliations. They are working under the same staffing issues as PHL yet they continue to perform well. Flights do not have to wait 10-15 minutes to be parked. Flights do not suffer 90 minute loading delays.

This is not a staffing problem. It is an attitude problem.

Lindy

Lindy,

You do not work on the ramp in PHL, everything you say or gather is all hearsay.

lindy said:

Answer me this question. Why do we not have these types of problems in PIT/LGA/BOS?
[post="198946"][/post]​

Your question belies your statement in #1. PIT/LGA/BOS do not operate with the traditional hub A/C flow like PHL does. Trying to run PHL with staffing per flight similiar to PIT/LGA/BOS is a recipe for delays.

Jim

700UW said:
PITMTC,

PHL management has been changed time and time again, and the station continues the downward spiral, Al C needs to take responsibilty and fix the situation, after all he got $1.2 Million to be the Executive VP of Operations.
[post="198916"][/post]​

You hit the nail sqaure on the head 700. Until A.C. is gone, little or nothing will improve operationally. The local joke is that he has 8X10 glossies of important people doing perverted things.

A320 Driver

Morning radio in Delaware (just south of PHL) called this an employee job action - I have no idea of what is true, but makes one want to book away from USAirways.

lindy said:

2. When have you not known the media to sensationalize a story such as this. Give me a break.

Answer me this question. Why do we not have these types of problems in PIT/LGA/BOS? These cities have a history of strong pro-union affiliations. They are working under the same staffing issues as PHL yet they continue to perform well. Flights do not have to wait 10-15 minutes to be parked. Flights do not suffer 90 minute loading delays.

This is not a staffing problem. It is an attitude problem.

Lindy
[post="198946"][/post]​

1. I'm not going to argue with you or anyone else about who knows more about the PHL ramp and it's operations.

2. The media just reported the story along with interviews of customers waiting in baggage claim. The worst part of the story was that Usaiways wouldn't make any comment when asked by the media. If it was a computer malfunction (as you stated) don't you think it would have been wise for the company to tell the media? A computer malfunction might be a little easier for a customer to stomach than a job action.

Your statement that PIT, LGA, and BOS has the same staffing issues as PHL just shows that you're not informed. There was a period of time in PHL that management had to mandatory seven days a week to get the shifts covered. The ramp was short anywhere form 25 to 50 agents per day, and this was before there was one sick call. This went on for well over a year. That's a staffing issue that I don't think any other city experienced. When R.P. was Station Director things ran smooth in the beginning. There were very few CG delays per week and staffing and equipment weren't an issue. Then CCY started to cut staffing and it's been all downhill the past few years.

Now we have management doing things like covering only every third sick call during the week, instead of getting every shift covered. Then when the weekend rolls around the company expects people to take the overtime. It's not going to happen.

It's a shame that the customers are "caught in the crossfire." Believe me when I tell you that the FSA group wishes there was another way to make a point without involving the customers. The company has come right out and said that these jobs aren't career jobs, and it looks like many workers will treat it as "just another job" from here on out.

DMG,

With all due respect, there is no point to be made by staging a work slowdown. All those employees are doing is driving business away, attracting bad press, and hastening the final nail in the coffin. If they are looking to drive all 28000 employees out of a job they're doing a good job of it.

Regardless of who is at fault, the problem has to be fixed. The actions yesterday only make it worse. While I respect the employees right to be upset and angry at what has transpired, I cannot condone the actions taken yesterday, if proven to be true. I am giving the benefit of the doubt here, but it would not surprise me if what is being said is true.

Like I said before, perception is often reality to those looking in from the outside. There is nothing to be accomplished by yesterday's alleged actions except to hasten the demise of the company. Talk about biting the hand that feeds you..........customers know the employees are upset, and we have been trying to be supportive in what few ways we can, like continuing to fly US when it may not be prudent to do so. They might not have intended to hurt customers but they did, period. And many of those customers will not be back.

My best to you all....

Al Crellin, Computer glitches, manpower shortages, Place the blame where you choose.
But the fact remains that "you get what you pay for" but instead, US Airways management has been depending on employee dedication to run the operation for years.

Now that the dedication is gone it is obvious that management is getting what they pay for.

Managements recent shuffle of job titles that they like to call "management cuts" does not seem to be helping, so I guess a larger pay cut for labor will have to fix the Operational Deficiencies.

linemech.

Latest posts