AUG/SEPT 2012 IAM Fleet Service Discussions

Status
Not open for further replies.
about out sourcing ......

on the one hand i hate seeing our people lose jobs ......... but on the OTHER hand .........it doesn't make sense to hire full time crews for stations that might get 3 or 4 flights a day ... we need to make sure that our demands remain reasonable ... basiclly , if a station has US airways gate agents up stairs , then they need to have us airways rampers down stairs ...
freedom,
Outsourcing of union represented jobs should not be defined by "mainline" flight departures out of a station as it is now. Many outline stations have a combination of regional and mainline departures that far exceeds 3 to 4 flights a day. IMO... outsoucing language has no business whatsoever in a union negotiated contract. However, if it must exist, it should be based on departures... both mainline and regional. When the language defines mainline from regional it allows the company the opportunity to manipulate the flight schedule to carry out their agenda of outsoucing union represented jobs. Case in point ATL. Flooded the station with regional departures replacing mainline and quickly outsourced Fleet jobs... only to increase mainline flying into and out of ATL for the next 4-5 years. Eventually, the company had to bring fleet service work back in house. Unfortunately, many members who lost their jobs in ATL were long gone. Subsequently, senior fleet flushed and replaced with lower paid newly hired employees. For those 4-5 years the company enjoyed increased profit and return to the shareholders. The agenda will continue until the union leadership and the membership, catches on, and says enough is enough! IMO.. we, as a union, and united work group, must discontinue sacrificing our union represented employees' livlihoods and jobs for the increased profitability of the company and the shareholders.If they are so desperate to increase profitibality I propose they start charging passengers for the lav and oxygen.
ograc

I have worked in both myself. Outline station Fleet agents are responsible for for a wider range of responsibilities on a day to day basis. Hub station job assignments tend to be more specific. It doesn't mean one is more productive than the other. It certainly doesn't mean one should be outsourced while another is not. Unless, you buy into the company's reasoning, agenda and thought process...

I say that, being an LAS employee, there was FAR more downtime when we were a hub. More overtime, but less work.

I have worked in both myself. Outline station Fleet agents are responsible for for a wider range of responsibilities on a day to day basis. Hub station job assignments tend to be more specific. It doesn't mean one is more productive than the other. It certainly doesn't mean one should be outsourced while another is not. Unless, you buy into the company's reasoning, agenda and thought process...
Just trying to make the point that those in the small stations were tossed to the curb even though they did that variety of jobs that you mentioned.

Just trying to make the point that those in the small stations were tossed to the curb even though they did that variety of jobs that you mentioned.
It's quite apparent the company has little regard for the productivity of an employee... wheather they work in a hub or outline station. Their only concern is to outsource Fleet jobs. They will continue this agenda as long as the union agrees, to sacrifice membership and jobs, by allowing oursourcing language in the contract. They're willing to sacrifice customer service and job performance quality for the almighty dollar, profits and return to the shareholders. Our labor contract represents a drag on this agenda. In the end... they would like to eliminate all Fleet Service union represented jobs. IMO... they will continue to pursue the achievement of this goal. Especially, while the union continues to be a willing enabler of this agenda.

It's quite apparent the company has little regard for the productivity of an employee... wheather they work in a hub or outline station. Their only concern is to outsource Fleet jobs. They will continue this agenda as long as the union agrees, to sacrifice membership and jobs, by allowing oursourcing language in the contract. They're willing to sacrifice customer service and job performance quality for the almighty dollar, profits and return to the shareholders. Our labor contract represents a drag on this agenda. In the end... they would like to eliminate all Fleet Service union represented jobs. IMO... they will continue to pursue the achievement of this goal. Especially, while the union continues to be a willing enabler of this agenda.

Ograc,

Aren't we, the members, the union? Aren't we, only as strong as our weakest member? How is the union being a "willing enabler" in the outsourcing agenda? Didn't we, the members, vote to outsource jobs in this last T/A? Which was negotiated primarily by canoli and his merry band of cronies. Are you saying that the current NC is trying to add language to outsource jobs? What point are you trying to make here? Please explain.

Ograc,

Aren't we, the members, the union? Aren't we, only as strong as our weakest member? How is the union being a "willing enabler" in the outsourcing agenda? Didn't we, the members, vote to outsource jobs in this last T/A? Which was negotiated primarily by canoli and his merry band of cronies. Are you saying that the current NC is trying to add language to outsource jobs? What point are you trying to make here? Please explain.
y

Our Weakest Members ??? The HUBS ! IT's all about them with little regard about anyone else ! The company did it once,and they will try it again. They, the company, knows there is strength in numbers.

Ograc,

pj,
The existing outsourcing language in the CBA, was agreed to by past NC committees. Additionally, this "agreed to" language was subsequently ratified by the membership. This history is sad but undisputable. I am not insinuating the current NC is trying to add language to out source jobs. My point is just the opposite. The current NC needs to push to eliminate or at best curtail the said language. My point is the membership needs to stop focusing on short term gains and set their sights on the issues that will have the long term impact on their futures. If we fail to do this there will be no one left to negotiate a contract for. There is strength in numbers! With that being said, my point is... as a NC or union member why would you agree to, or ratify an agreement, that allows the company to reduce your numbers and subsequent strength?
ograc

y

Our Weakest Members ??? The HUBS ! IT's all about them with little regard about anyone else ! The company did it once,and they will try it again. They, the company, knows there is strength in numbers.
Hope777,
The company clearly understands the numbers game. Unfortunately, our members have not yet caught on. Throw a bone to the hubs and they will sell out their Sisters and Brothers in other stations. Rest assurred, if this mindset does not change, they too will be thrown to the curb in the end. It's time the membership, District Leadership and Negotiating Committees wake up to this destructive agenda the company has launched. Hopefully, it's not too late....
ograc

Hope777,
The company clearly understands the numbers game. Unfortunately, our members have not yet caught on. Throw a bone to the hubs and they will sell out their Sisters and Brothers in other stations. Rest assurred, if this mindset does not change, they too will be thrown to the curb in the end. It's time the membership, District Leadership and Negotiating Committees wake up to this destructive agenda the company has launched. Hopefully, it's not too late....
ograc

Amen Brother ! If THEY didnt see what happened to our Brother/Sisters in PIT (who also sold the out stations down the river) They could be next with a possible AA Merger in the works, lets just hope they have the sense to know their butts could be on the line !

Aren't we, only as strong as our weakest member?

I hope not, We've got Freedom!

Seriously, From everything that I've been hearing, both from the membership at large in person and on this forum, as well as from the NC, the overall vibe of the membership is not "me first" nor "MONEY! I want more MONEY!". It's language. Scope. Jobs. Protection. I've no doubt a TA will have increased pay, but I have great hope that we'll be presented with a contract heavy on keeping and improving what we have that's not necessarily directly monetary, but that which protects us as a membership.

Ograc,

The company will outsource whenever and whoever they want to. and the union isn't going to do anything about . just look back at the last round of city's that got closed prematurely. they promised to Arbitrate but pulled out in the 11th hour. causing BUF to be locked out.
and all this was going on while in negotiations. just goes to show how much the company thinks of this union

The company will outsource whenever and whoever they want to. and the union isn't going to do anything about . just look back at the last round of city's that got closed prematurely. they promised to Arbitrate but pulled out in the 11th hour. causing BUF to be locked out.
and all this was going on while in negotiations. just goes to show how much the company thinks of this union
based on existing language in the CBA your opening statement " the company will outsource whenever and whoever they want to.' is meritless. Existing language prevents them from doing this. Without this language, I'm certain the company would do much more outsourcing. This is why the language, in the current contract negotiations, needs to be addressed and strengthened. The company takes what the CBA allows them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back