DTW AMFA Local 5 Union Rally

Is 'Cods a man of Conviction? Or just another Scab?

• 'Cods is a coward, he won't show

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 'Cods is not a coward, he will show

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Once again it is not up to the company to keep up with the cost of living in any given area. It is up to the individual person to make themselves marketable for higher wages. You wish to use cleaners as an example so lets take a look at them. What are the job qualifications to be a cleaner? I'll give this a shot, do correct me if I am wrong.

1. Able bodied
2. Pass 10-year background check.
3. Pass pre-employment drug screen.
4. Maybe a High School Diploma or GED.

This job is for high school kids and college students. It is not a career job. To think that a company should pay more than market value is absurd. This job falls in the class of McDonalds and Burger King. I would not expect anyone to be able to buy a house or even raise a family for that matter on the income of a cleaner. I wouldn’t expect one to make it a life long career either. The fact that NWA even went along with paying the cleaners what they did does indeed point towards inept management. I am glad NWA came to their senses.

Education and marketable skills is what drives ones pay. If one does not have the foresight to prepare themselves for todays job markets they should not expect to get premium pay.

For some reason unions ignore this basic law of economics and marketability and then cry foul when it blows up in their faces.

Once again it is not up to the company to keep up with the cost of living in any given area. It is up to the individual person to make themselves marketable for higher wages. You wish to use cleaners as an example so lets take a look at them. What are the job qualifications to be a cleaner? I'll give this a shot, do correct me if I am wrong.

1. Able bodied
2. Pass 10-year background check.
3. Pass pre-employment drug screen.
4. Maybe a High School Diploma or GED.

This job is for high school kids and college students. It is not a career job. To think that a company should pay more than market value is absurd. This job falls in the class of McDonalds and Burger King. I would not expect anyone to be able to buy a house or even raise a family for that matter on the income of a cleaner. I wouldn’t expect one to make it a life long career either. The fact that NWA even went along with paying the cleaners what they did does indeed point towards inept management. I am glad NWA came to their senses.

Education and marketable skills is what drives ones pay. If one does not have the foresight to prepare themselves for todays job markets they should not expect to get premium pay.

For some reason unions ignore this basic law of economics and marketability and then cry foul when it blows up in their faces.

Well Cods', I would hardly call scabbing for NW or working as a transient mechanic a career. You undercut the NW mechanics and someone will eventually undercut you; it is the race to the bottom. Southwest has no problems paying their ramp/cleaners $25 an hour while simutaneously making a profit. Do you think that the bankruptcy lawyers should make $800 an hour? You speak as though education and marketable skills guarantee you a good job; just ask all those computer programmers who lost their job to programmers overseas.

You also spoke of a cleaners job being for college students. The ones that were topped out have been there many years. In some cases 25-30 years. However with what the starting wages are now, they can't get anyone to do the job. In the AA/TWU contract the starting pay is $8 and change an hour. AA had to raise it here in MIA to $10.22 an hour just to get people to apply. I am topped out and my wage IS market rate for similar jobs in other industries.

You also spoke of a cleaners job being for college students. The ones that were topped out have been there many years. In some cases 25-30 years. However with what the starting wages are now, they can't get anyone to do the job. In the AA/TWU contract the starting pay is $8 and change an hour. AA had to raise it here in MIA to $10.22 an hour just to get people to apply. I am topped out and my wage IS market rate for similar jobs in other industries.

A very good example of "supply and demand" and "marketability". I like the way you say AA had to raise the wage, note: no union involvement. You see, it does work.

Well Cods', I would hardly call scabbing for NW or working as a transient mechanic a career. You undercut the NW mechanics and someone will eventually undercut you; it is the race to the bottom. Southwest has no problems paying their ramp/cleaners $25 an hour while simutaneously making a profit. Do you think that the bankruptcy lawyers should make $800 an hour? You speak as though education and marketable skills guarantee you a good job; just ask all those computer programmers who lost their job to programmers overseas.

They should make what the market will bear. If no one pays their prices they will come down. It does not guarantee a job but it does make one more marketable for the higher paying jobs. You should indeed pick a career that is stable and not easily outsourced or replaced. It is a very tough decision one that should not be taken lightly.

Education and marketable skills is what drives ones pay.

Ya think???? I personally know of many people with education and marketable skills that are paid about minimum wage. I've seen ads in the newspaper asking for Masters Degrees offering $9/hr. That's how cheap corporate America is.

You should indeed pick a career that is stable and not easily outsourced or replaced.

Hmmm...considering the doctors are coming from India, and the tax accountants are going TO India, that's a tough one.
Lets see.....hmmm.....Drug Dealer? Prostitute? I'm running out of ideas here....

======================================================

I wonder if he's still riding the bus(the one with the windows blacked out, and with the security guard), up to the terminal, and thru the secure door !!

I wonder if he's come face-to-face with the AMFA guys out on the street ?

NAAA !!

NH/BB's
I am seriously wondering why anybody on the board even talks to the guy. (PTO). The majority of airline employees are unionized, and this is a total disgrace for any of you to be even acknowledging the presence of this unGodly human being. Shame on you all. He is the reason many of your union brothers and sisters are out on the street, not to mention the many more to come. Don't let that UNGODLY presence of a human being destroy what is left of aviation. There is many more suffering to come, on a count of people like him. Don't give him your ear. He is the enemy, nothing short of it. Don't let him feed off of the future of any more aviation jobs. Ignore him, and he will go away. Don't give him a forum to feed off of. It is nothing short of cutting your own throat. Let him go away into the night, like a rabid dog. Shun him, as he so well deserves. Don't give him anything to take away from any of us real aviation people. Choke him off this board.

Wow boywonder you have been digging deep. Have you and boeing787 been drinking beer together? He fears me as much as you do. You have been responding to post after post and now all the sudden you have seen what has been described to me as a danger to unionism. I think its a far fetched joke myself but you must wonder why so may people are afraid if me. I then learned that it wasn't me that you guys are afraid of but what the guest at this forum has to think about you. Before this strike it never was a real problem because you guys had a monopoly on these boards. You guys can't be unbiased so you have no choice but to slam me. The problem with this is you look like scared fools to the guest that visit this forum. Go ahead boywonder do us all a favor and put me on your ignore list. It won't be long and you will find yourself cruising the slums with FM.

I am seriously wondering why anybody on the board even talks to the guy. (PTO).
'Cause he's a hoot. M*A*S*H* wasn't quite the same when Maj. Frank Burns left. That has me thinking...hmmm...Burns and Holihan were banging each other. I wonder if PTO is the result of that??

dont forget PTO SCAB that those cleaners must be able to lift at least 70 or more lbs because in the smaller cities, they must help get the bags off of the planes.

'Cause he's a hoot. M*A*S*H* wasn't quite the same when Maj. Frank Burns left. That has me thinking...hmmm...Burns and Holihan were banging each other. I wonder if PTO is the result of that??
Possible, but I suspect the best and brightest part was left as a stain on the sheets :D

Status
Not open for further replies.