IAM contract proposal

[quote name='Work'n short' post='361285' date='Mar 9 2006, 01:03 PM']hmmm not a good time to try and get re-elected, huh
:down: :down:[/quote]

Absolutely not a good time to be running for office....It is however a good time for all of us in the IAM to revamp the leadership. Hopefully, come June (I think that's when the elections are???), there'll be some new/good names on the ballot.

In my opinion, the best possible outcome for a guy like DePace would be to have to come back to the "floor" and work under the onerous conditions he's been peddling for the last few months.

P.S. Did you happen to see his picture in the Star Tribune yesterday? He looks like he hasn't slept in a week...

To anyone in the IAM; what happens if one of the books ends up striking. Does that mean that all of the IAM members strike, or would it just be the members under that particular book?

For example, what if all of the books end up with consentual agreements except the simulator technicians group (42 members I believe) that voted down their contract. If that tiny faction chooses to strike, would all 10,000+ IAM members follow suit?

To anyone in the IAM; what happens if one of the books ends up striking. Does that mean that all of the IAM members strike, or would it just be the members under that particular book?

For example, what if all of the books end up with consentual agreements except the simulator technicians group (42 members I believe) that voted down their contract. If that tiny faction chooses to strike, would all 10,000+ IAM members follow suit?

All of us would walk.

==========================================================
finman,

"And just when you thought it was SAFE to go in the WATER again" !!!

NH/BB's

Actually, in all fairness to P(os)T O, he has'nt got a friggin' CLUE as to what "this" all means.

(He's probably "huddling" with the former AMFA members..NOW SCABS.., asking a ZILLION questions)

NH/BB's

Absolutely not a good time to be running for office....It is however a good time for all of us in the IAM to revamp the leadership. Hopefully, come June (I think that's when the elections are???), there'll be some new/good names on the ballot.

In my opinion, the best possible outcome for a guy like DePace would be to have to come back to the "floor" and work under the onerous conditions he's been peddling for the last few months.

P.S. Did you happen to see his picture in the Star Tribune yesterday? He looks like he hasn't slept in a week...
The last time I seen a picture of him he was selling Dunkin doughnuts.....time to make the doughnuts :lol:

Finman--

As a follow up to my earlier "lengthy" post.
The sim techs example you ring up is an interesting one...I forgot to add earlier that they are technically under the ESSC group's CBA, so how they go we go, and vice versa.

"Hey DePace! Those lavs won't service themselves"[/i]

Shrek: "Do you know who I am?! I used to be the President of DL143, damnit! "

LGA Chief: "Yeah, I know who you are, and I got your proposal right here (points to crotch)... get moving."

You gotta have a dream, right? :lol:

All of us would walk.
With all of the contingency planning that has been going on in preparation of an IAM strike, what are you're thoughts on how well NWA could operate during a brief and/or prolonged strike? Do you think NWA would be as successful as they were replacing AMFA, or would this situation be much more operationally difficult to pull off?

Finman--

As a follow up to my earlier "lengthy" post.
The sim techs example you ring up is an interesting one...I forgot to add earlier that they are technically under the ESSC group's CBA, so how they go we go, and vice versa.
Here's the "picture" in my mind......
Timeline: July 2006(ish)

LGA Chief: "Hey DePace! Those lavs won't service themselves"

Shrek: "Do you know who I am?! I used to be the President of DL143, damnit! "

LGA Chief: "Yeah, I know who you are, and I got your proposal right here (points to crotch)... get moving."
You gotta have a dream, right? :lol:
Great picture!.....I needed a good laugh...on another note,it's funny you mentioned the proposal thing.The day after that POS came out someone hung a contract book next to the toilet in the op's breakroom,they hung it so the pages hang downward...over the top was printed "pull down to wipe". :up: :up:

With all of the contingency planning that has been going on in preparation of an IAM strike, what are you're thoughts on how well NWA could operate during a brief and/or prolonged strike? Do you think NWA would be as successful as they were replacing AMFA, or would this situation be much more operationally difficult to pull off?
They are going to find out how hard it will be to operate with or without this proposal.How many burger king flunkies already left MSP after the pay cut?..how many people do you think they have standing in line to work outside in the freezing cold,loading hundreds of bags for 9 bucks an hour?...they farmed out the US ramp here 1 year ago.The outsource people employ about 30 rampers total.In one years time they have turned over 68 people for those 30 positions,and they even give them health insurance.Why bust your #ss in the eliments when BK is paying 8.50 and you can chow all the whoppers you can in a nice and warm hole in the wall?????...... :eek:

Actually, in all fairness to P(os)T O, he has'nt got a friggin' CLUE as to what "this" all means.
(He's probably "huddling" with the former AMFA members..NOW SCABS.., asking a ZILLION questions)
NH/BB almost gets it right for once. I am slightly impressed. You are correct about me no having a "friggin" clue as to what this all means. Most of this really has nothing to do with me and I could almost care less. The book thing is a bit interesting but as you said I haven't a clue. MY guess is that they are simply different work rules that cater to the different types of jobs that the IAM represents. Just a guess so don't hang me.

There is one small part of the contract that does affect me and every other mechanic in maintenance and that would be the Tech Ops Support. Now that does have the AMFA Scabs kind of stirred up, they are also saying that it is a major reason the contract was voted down. This is what they are saying but reading here that doesn't seem to be the case. Maybe it’s just a matter of where you happen to work as to the reasons one voted one way or the other.

The issue the mechanics are having is that they are wondering who is going to sign off the work for them? Servicing oil and tires is pretty routine and mundane work but it still requires attention to detail. I think we have gotten away from the oil cap thing and think we should keep it that way. As far as huddling and asking a zillion questions you couldn't be more wrong. If the IAM strikes they will be replaced just as AMFA was and NWA will have delivered yet another devastating blow to unionism.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

First off, for this "tentative" to get voted down, means that either DTW, or MSP, or BOTH voted it down.

NW has to be very careful about throwing the ESE contract out, because if EITHER hub walks out, NW can not operate !!

AND "THEY" KNOW IT !!!!!!!!!!!

NH/BB almost gets it right for once. I am slightly impressed. You are correct about me no having a "friggin" clue as to what this all means. Most of this really has nothing to do with me and I could almost care less. The book thing is a bit interesting but as you said I haven't a clue. MY guess is that they are simply different work rules that cater to the different types of jobs that the IAM represents. Just a guess so don't hang me.

There is one small part of the contract that does affect me and every other mechanic in maintenance and that would be the Tech Ops Support. Now that does have the AMFA Scabs kind of stirred up, they are also saying that it is a major reason the contract was voted down. This is what they are saying but reading here that doesn't seem to be the case. Maybe it’s just a matter of where you happen to work as to the reasons one voted one way or the other.

The issue the mechanics are having is that they are wondering who is going to sign off the work for them? Servicing oil and tires is pretty routine and mundane work but it still requires attention to detail. I think we have gotten away from the oil cap thing and think we should keep it that way. As far as huddling and asking a zillion questions you couldn't be more wrong. If the IAM strikes they will be replaced just as AMFA was and NWA will have delivered yet another devastating blow to unionism.
It wouldn't be that easy, these jobs don't have the allure they once did. Gee, I'll make $17 an hour in ten years and no bene's? Most of what they would attract would end up costing more in lost time and theiving.

Most of this really has nothing to do with me and I could almost care less.

Take a clue from the other SCAB mechanics...this will probably have something to do with you and you should care. :p

[/quote]There is one small part of the contract that does affect me and every other mechanic in maintenance and that would be the Tech Ops Support. Now that does have the AMFA Scabs kind of stirred up, they are also saying that it is a major reason the contract was voted down.[/quote]

Funny how a SCAB labels a SCAB an AMFA SCAB. ;)

[/quote]The issue the mechanics are having is that they are wondering who is going to sign off the work for them? Servicing oil and tires is pretty routine and mundane work but it still requires attention to detail. I think we have gotten away from the oil cap thing and think we should keep it that way.[/quote] news flash what YOU think doesn't matter.
SCAB mechanics are having an issue with this and heres where you probably should be concerned also...you all will probably be required to do any work your manager tells you to do including throwing bags, tech ops etc...unless of course you can prove that its not in your contract:p

I don't think they'd be able to pull it off. Or rather, by the time they had figured out how to make it work, it'd be too little too late, and NW will have gone the way of other fallen carriers.

The sheer volume of work carried out by the IAM work group would be insurmountable (sp?). To put it in perspective, not every leg flown by an A/C needs an AMT, but every last one needs to have passengers checked in (at least at the gate), and to have their bags loaded.

I'm sure NW has "workshopped" the idea of doing to the IAM what they did to AMFA (actually, I know they did to a certain extent; the former regional director from where I'm at was tasked with coordinating vendors at various cities both in the event of a station closing, and the event of a strike). I imagine that they found that replacing all of us wholesale was not operationally feasible. I can't begin to guess how they'e going to do it in the smaller cities that will close now that the Grey Book has been ratified, let alone how it'd be systemwide

An interesting note for the day: Six rampers came into the zone today wanting to know how to apply for the Tech Ops Support jobs. I didn't get to hang around to find out any details. I just thought it interesting that the Rampers would be warming up to this idea.

Back