NWA F/A's Welcome AFA

What a shame. All the AFA wants is your $$$$! Pat Friend and all her robots don't care about any of you. She is know saying, "Yes! More money in my pocket."

The sad thing is; none of you gave the PFAA a chance.

Just ask your fellow AFA members at United what they think of the AFA.

the bottom line is no matter which union is the worse for the F/As, they still have an uphill battle waging on against the ruthless and themost crooked a** mgmt any airline has ever had since the days of the frank a** lorenzon days at EAL. Good luck to all of you F/As at NWA.

I agree,an uphill battle indeed. Keep the faith! :up:

How many f/as are there at NW?

How many f/as are there at NW?
With furloughs (voluntary and involuntary) included around 9300.

hmmmmm, let's see. Probably the industry leading paycuts could be a start. (I do believe that US and UAL are the lowest paid legacy f/a's, correct?) :unsure:

You obviously haven't seen the mess that the PFAA "GAVE" away in the TA (that was rejected by 80% vote) that NW will be free to impose on July 17.

With furloughs (voluntary and involuntary) included around 9300.
You obviously haven't seen the mess that the PFAA "GAVE" away in the TA (that was rejected by 80% vote) that NW will be free to impose on July 17.
Justanadd is right. PFAA gave MOREthan what was asked. Imagine that. I think that is what set the populous off. :angry: Voting was like a classic Henry O. story for me... which door should I choose?

Thanks for the clarification. It's obvious you had no choice. What a sad state of affairs the industry has become. Good luck to all of you. Unfortunately, AFA doesn't really care about us either.

Credit where credit is due: Good job AFA on finally convincing the release of this report.

FAA Releases Flight Attendant Fatigue Study After Heavy Pressure From AFA-CWA

Washington, DC - After intense pressure for over a year from the Association of Flight Attendants-CWA (AFA-CWA), the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) finally delivered the flight attendant fatigue study to Congress, who requested it at AFA-CWA's urging last year. Originally due back to the Transportation Appropriation Committees in June 2005, the FAA had been ignoring the requests of AFA-CWA and Congress to release the results for over a year.

"Flight attendant fatigue is a chronic problem in the aviation industry and it continues to jeopardize our ability to fulfill important safety and security roles," said Patricia Friend, AFA-CWA International President. "Fatigue has been overlooked for too long which is what makes this study even more vital."

The results confirm that flight attendants are frequently "experiencing issues consistent with fatigue and tiredness" and that "fatigue appears to be a salient issue warranting further evaluation."

According to recommendations cited in the report, "based on the incident reports, flight attendant comments, and the outcomes from the sampling of actual duty and rest time, it appears that the opportunities for adequate rest for flight attendants need to be further evaluated."

The study also mentions that regulations created by the FAA governing flight attendant duty and rest requirements are minimal standards. To truly address fatigue, the regulations must be combined with "sound and realistic operational practices," as well as personal strategies.

Friend also added, "FAA approving the report is one hurdle we have overcome. They have proven that current rest periods are inadequate and need to be re-evaluated. Now it is time to move forward and take the steps necessary to end flight attendant fatigue and enact meaningful regulations that would help solve this problem."

In June, over 50 AFA-CWA flight attendants spent the night in front of the FAA headquarters to show FAA Administrator Marion Blakey that the results of this important study were needed immediately. AFA-CWA and Congress have also formally requested the study several times, all with no response from the FAA.

For over 60 years, the Association of Flight Attendants has been serving as the voice for flight attendants in the workplace, in the aviation industry, in the media and on Capitol Hill. More than 55,000 flight attendants at 20 airlines come together to form AFA-CWA, the world's largest flight attendant union. AFA is part of the 700,000-member strong Communications Workers of America (CWA), AFL-CIO. Visit us at www.afanet.org .

I just read that the newly appointed President and Vice President of the NWA-afa were the same two people that were running the Teamsters at NWA when they were voted out of office.

The NMB results showed a total number eligible to vote was 9115. That includes all active/invol/vol.

Thanks, but does anyone know the actual # of active f/a's at NW currently?

I'm also interested to know how many are involuntarily furloughed and how many have taken voluntary leaves.

Thanks, but does anyone know the actual # of active f/a's at NW currently?

I'm also interested to know how many are involuntarily furloughed and how many have taken voluntary leaves.
Wish I had the breakdown for you. Someone at NW probably could get that info for you. We never had a breakdown of active/invol/vol. We worked from the total number of eligible f/a's which was the 9115. Status to the NMB didn't matter. If you are actively employed or on a leave if you are eligible to be called back you received a ballot. All 9115 received a ballot but only 7044 voted.

[quote name='Nor'Easta' post='394618' date='Jul 7 2006, 04:07 AM']Just ask your fellow AFA members at United what they think of the AFA.[/quote]

I feel compelled to respond to both Nor'Easta's and Fly's comments regarding the AFA. Having come from an airline that had NO union representation, I can tell you my $39 per month is the best bang for my buck. So what has AFA done for me as a United Airlines flight attendant? I will happily respond. When United went into bankruptcy and we went through not one, but two rounds of concessions (not the fault of AFA), the company presented a term sheet containing the list of the give-backs the company sought. The company wanted to make Hawaii, Alaska, Mexico, and Central American/Caribbean flying domestic rates of pay; the company wanted gut all paid holidays (there were ten), the company wanted to eliminate reserve-override pay (currently $1.82 per hour). The company wanted to gut our work-rules such as 30 in 7 (cannot fly more than 30 hrs in a 7 day period), 8 in 24 (cannot go over 8 hours in a 24 hr period).

So what did my union do for me? My union greatly MINIMIZED the give-backs the company wanted. Five paid holidays were preserved (down from ten), all of our work-rules were preserved, all of the international flying that the company sought to pay at domestic pay rates, remained at international rates of pay, reserve-override was preserved. When Hawaiian island turns were introduced for the first time in our work-life (post Chapter 11), our union secured worked rules that guarantee 36 hours free of duty, so that reserve flight attendants wouldn't be stuck doing island turns back-to-back. (Contrast this with flight attendants at ATA who often fly back-to-back island turns). When the company forcefully dumped our pensions onto the PBGC, our union was able to negotiate a company direct-contribution payment, in addition to the company match provisions.

Furthermore, we are the only work group on United Airlines property that enjoyed full medical and dental benefits while on voluntary furlough status...this was in addition to full seniority accrual and pass priveleges while on furlough status. (I took advantage of this NEGOTIATED contractual item and did not work for the company for two years while enjoying full benefits...where in the marketplace does this happen?).

Additionally, I have been an AFA dues-paying member for over 12 years and not once during that time, has there been an increase in my union dues. Finally, through my monthly dues, my union (AFA) has a Political Action Committee comprised of volunteers that lobby tirelessly on Capitol Hill in Washington, D.C. and who have been instrumental in getting FAA regulations established that include, no smoking on any U.S. domestic flights (this later was expanded to ALL flights on ALL U.S. carriers), emergency exit path lighting installed on the cabin floor of all U.S. registered aircraft, smoke detectors installed in aircraft lavoratories, enhancements to the the very inferior duty-time regulations set forth by the FAA. Furthermore, the Political Action Committee has been hard at work lobbying our congressmen and women to prevent the sell-out of our industry to foreign interests, lobbying for better guidelines with regard to flight attendant fatigue, etc. etc.

In the last 12 years (the time I have been a dues-paying member at AFA), the price to fill my gas tank has skyrocketed, my insurance premiums have gone up, the price of food has gone up, the price of electricity has gone up, the price of water and garbage has gone up, etc., etc.

At the end of the day, when compared to the workrules of the rest of the industry (and for additional insight just talk to any AA F/A who don't even so much as get a crew meal provided on an international flight), I can confidently say, the AFA has been a BARGAIN at $39 per month!

Signed,

A PROUD AFA Member ;)

Hey Jamake,

Whatever happened to that "threat" about the 400 LOC's? That is the typical AFA response. Threaten but never follow through. If I pay $12 million per year for a service, I should not have to do the leg work. For that much money, we could have hired Johnny Cockran (could have being the operative word..hehe) and he would have had United jumping through hoops.

Our dues money pretty much does nothing but try to get additional carriers. How much longer until the Delta f/a's get another mailing at MY dues money's expense?

Latest posts