2015 Fleet Service thread

700UW said:
The airline industry is one of the highest percentages of unionized workers, ask yourself why?
Because people want to make 20+ an hour with full benefits making a career out of an entry level job.

I have mixed feelings about that. On one hand FS is very physically demanding. Taking a look at all the old school clerks with all of their surgeries makes that an indisputable statement. The hours are terrible. Holidays and weekends are non existing (until midway or in some cases the end of your career). Having to work in inclement weather. Fleet deserves to be compensated for that.

On the other hand you have someone hiring in doing the same job they most likely will be retiring from. It is hard to justify your value to a company when you learned all you need to know in your first six months and repeat it for 30-40 years.

If you don't agree with that last statement then please interject your opinion. I am curious to hear it.

La Li Lu Le Lo said:
You prefer to work in an environment where you have to start like a day one employee (shift bids and layoffs) if you want to try something new?

You prefer an environment where if your laid off from your current employer you can't apply to their competitor for like pay?

What about UNION employment makes you prefer it?

I seriously want to know, and please don't throw UNION propaganda at me. I want to know from YOUR point of view why you prefer to work under a UNION.

Here is a follow up question. Have you ever even worked a nonUNION job? What was it? How do you feel a UNION would have made it a better experience?
I had a personal experience working for another very well known large Corporation before AA. The fact that I'm with AA and not that former company should give you enough of the story.

I personally would NEVER want to work for another company where I do not have a contract and the protection that comes with that if the company violates my rights.

In a nutshell.

La Li Lu Le Lo said:
Because people want to make 20+ an hour with full benefits making a career out of an entry level job.

I have mixed feelings about that. On one hand FS is very physically demanding. Taking a look at all the old school clerks with all of their surgeries makes that an indisputable statement. The hours are terrible. Holidays and weekends are non existing (until midway or in some cases the end of your career). Having to work in inclement weather. Fleet deserves to be compensated for that.

On the other hand you have someone hiring in doing the same job they most likely will be retiring from. It is hard to justify your value to a company when you learned all you need to know in your first six months and repeat it for 30-40 years.

If you don't agree with that last statement then please interject your opinion. I am curious to hear it.
 Funny I look at it the other way, when I see someone working for a contract company . Why would  you put up with the brutal conditions when you can make the same thing or more at BJs ,at least you will be comfortable and dry and you can look at the babes

Reactions: 2 people
700UW said:
Your still not being truthful, tell the whole story.

If he was put into a situation Bankruptcy or not and the members voted by majority to make his city a class 2 wage city, then yes I can understand his bitterness. Did he have the ability to go anywhere else to gain an increase?

Knowing that his situation more than likely occurred at the hands of a BK gun I'd like to know how does he think the forced cuts should have been negotiated? Should Class 1 cities have voted for less to make the cuts equal?

Where does this member live? US has some very expensive hub locations. Places like LGA, DCA and PHL. Is a cost cut to them the same as a cost cut to him by percentage?

Worldport said:
Funny I look at it the other way, when I see someone working for a contract company . Why would  you put up with the brutal conditions when you can make the same thing or more at BJs ,at least you will be comfortable and dry and you can look at the babes
Or if you're handsome enough you can get a job as oil boy in the summer at some ritzy Country Clubs and maybe find a sugar mama?

Worldport said:
Are you getting confused with  "A Bronx Tale" ?
Nah. There was a scene like that in Flamingo Kid first. They filmed that scene near a bar I hung out at on Roosevelt Ave in Woodside Queens.

WeAAsles said:
Nah. There was a scene like that in Flamingo Kid first. They filmed that scene near a bar I hung out at on Roosevelt Ave in Woodside Queens.
I have the DVD I'll have to check it out maybe in the beginning when he was hanging out with his friends talking about summer jobs

Reactions: 1 person
Worldport said:
I have the DVD I'll have to check it out maybe in the beginning when he was hanging out with his friends talking about summer jobs

I can't remember the name of the bar? I called my friend Danny and he can't remember it either even though it's where I picked up his future ex wife. 31 years ago now.

Im thinking it might have been called Sportsmans Pub?

Worldport said:
Yeah... I have no idea what BJ's is. Apparently it is comfortable, dry and full of babes.

At any rate I am sure those "contract" employees are not planning on making a career out of that job. 

La Li Lu Le Lo said:
Yeah... I have no idea what BJ's is. Apparently it is comfortable, dry and full of babes.

At any rate I am sure those "contract" employees are not planning on making a career out  of that job.
La Li do you have a problem with the fact that many of us decided to make a career out of Fleet Service?

And yes there are people for better or worse who have made a career out of Walmart even. And I also knew a woman where I lived last who had been working at 7/11 for 25 years.

There should be no shame placed on anyone who has a job no matter what that job might be.