IAM Fleet Service topic 11/26-

Status
Not open for further replies.
Attention CLT Fleet Service. ELECTIONS

For What: Local Lodge Officers ALL positions. President,VP,Recording Secretary,Treasurer,(3)Trustees
Grievance Committee

When: Dec 10 from 6 am - 6 pm

Where: Local Lodge (off Piper lane) NOT at the American Legion where we have meetings

3100 Piper Ln # C
Charlotte, NC 28208-6449
(704) 357-0027

Folks Fleet Service has made great strides in getting more people involved at the local level

It is very important to have a strong Fleet Service presence in our LOCAL. Please come out and support

the people that have Stepped up to run for office. It will only take about 15 minutes out of your day to

come out and show your support. We have Fleet Service people running for the following positions

You will get 2 ballots . One will be for the Local officers and the Other for your Grievance Committee

Vice President, Recording Secretary, Trustees.

Thank you for the information orioleman but I haven't seen who's running for what positions

I am Jesters source in LAS. He is full of himself but he is also true too in what he is saying (sorry buddy!). Ill be furloughed in Feb and I think unemployed b/c of the mess and the bid. I was there when union people was in break room and it was ok until someone asked about the openings and the bid. Things went crazy then and I thought there was going to be a fight. A lot of cussing by some at those guys! Glad I wasnt one of them! People saying our union $#@% them once again. Most of you werent there or in LAS and Im telling you M.M. was telling people and counting the list from bottom as to open spots to bid on. Thats what I did and didnt bid either phl or dca. I might get den or dfw. Nobody told us differnt as packets were given out and I saw N.H. there too and two other guys. I know Jesters a jerk (sorry again!) but he is right about this one. Anyone know if I am furlough when i might try again for something open in phl or dca or somewhere else?

CHP

So I guess that folks at LAS weren't given a chance to resubmit their preferences.

Still believe that.this breakroom hoopla would have been avoided had people become familiar with pp 46 & 47 in the contract. (That seems to be the company's way out of bumping by working that into the contract.) As soon as I got word early this year that I was getting cut at my last station, I hit the contract and got versed on the process. You can't expect the AGC to come in and spoon-feed it to you because it won't happen.

Blame it on the union....that sounds like a good out.

Not the fact that you guys didn't decide to read all of the new agreement before you voted on it, or the contact after it was voted in.

We tried to warn you but all you chose to look at were the dollar signs.

You made your bed now you sleep in it. Next time maybe you'll have learned.

On top of that you always put every city down if you want to stay employed.

The company will not take care of you (so I think you've found out now) so stay informed with the union & the agreement at least then you'll know what you have to work with.

Not the fact that you guys didn't decide to read all of the new agreement before you voted on it, or the contact after it was voted in.

We tried to warn you but all you chose to look at were the dollar signs.
Herp-a-derp durrr....at this point in the game, with the company being in the position it's in, and given their history of disrespecting labor contracts, do you really think they'd let any agreement past, present, or hypothetical keep them from chopping heads if it means immediate cost savings to them?

You made your bed now you sleep in it. Next time maybe you'll have learned.
Get over yourself. You can't pretend to know what personally motivated hundreds of individuals in their decisions to vote the way they did. Me, I just wanted pay parity. Equal pay for equal work. I guess that makes me greedy.

Blame it on the union....that sounds like a good out.

Luggage,

Have you read that section of the contract, as it far from clear on the matter? The section in question has been posted on this board and the people here cannot agree on its intent. You see, this is one of the reasons as why people join unions... in order to provide professional legal and financial advice as it relates to their employment. Otherwise, it would be prohibitively expensive for every employee to consult with a labor attorney or CPA whenever there was a question. In the case at hand, it would appear my friend, Cream, along with others, had the mistaken belief the union representatives knew what they were talking about as furloughs were announced. As I have harped on many times before on this board... get uneducated, untrained people in charge and you will get uneducated, untrained advice in return. Good to see our dues being well spent for subpar results.

So Opines Jester.

Herp-a-derp durrr....at this point in the game, with the company being in the position it's in, and given their history of disrespecting labor contracts, do you really think they'd let any agreement past, present, or hypothetical keep them from chopping heads if it means immediate cost savings to them?

Get over yourself. You can't pretend to know what personally motivated hundreds of individuals in their decisions to vote the way they did. Me, I just wanted pay parity. Equal pay for equal work. I guess that makes me greedy.

Correct. You wanted pay parity but a what total cost? Look back at the forum the majority of the west & small stations saw & wanted pay. We ket telling people to look at the scope of the agreement. Pay is important i agree however it is not everything.

Really? Is this what we always do? What does that sentence even mean? Then again, with the kind of job security afforded to the fortress hub of CLT you can throw out as many holier-than-thou smug told-you-so's with the comfort of knowing you're the farthest from the blade.

That's not totally true. There were packets handed out to the bottom 9 or so fulltimers. Nobody is ever the furthest from the blade with this company or line of work. But you should put down any & every station you can to keep your chances up that you stay in the system. You may not want to go to PHL or DCA or even CLT but if that's what it takes then so be it.
Thanks for sharing.

Luggage,

Have you read that section of the contract, as it far from clear on the matter? The section in question has been posted on this board and the people here cannot agree on its intent. You see, this is one of the reasons as why people join unions... in order to provide professional legal and financial advice as it relates to their employment. Otherwise, it would be prohibitively expensive for every employee to consult with a labor attorney or CPA whenever there was a question. In the case at hand, it would appear my friend, Cream, along with others, had the mistaken belief the union representatives knew what they were talking about as furloughs were announced. As I have harped on many times before on this board... get uneducated, untrained people in charge and you will get uneducated, untrained advice in return. Good to see our dues being well spent for subpar results.

So Opines Jester.

Yes Mr. Jester I have read the contract. It says you may bid available full-time agent positions in other stations. If there are not enough openings you may displace by senority the most junior in the system.

Or you may go part time if there are openings at your station. If there are not enough openings you may displace the most junior part timer.

Or you may accept the furlough.

You may displace part timers if you are full time in your station only if you are senior to them.

I'm not super smart but it seems clear to me.

If you aren't sure about your union reps you need to ask questions & try to get the correct information. There are reps out there that know the correct answers, language & scope of the agreement. Our union isn't perfect but which one is? At least it's better than the past regime we had in that cared more about the compnys kickbacks. If you are not happy you can run to try & change things or even become a dues objector.

I am Jesters source in LAS. He is full of himself but he is also true too in what he is saying (sorry buddy!). Ill be furloughed in Feb and I think unemployed b/c of the mess and the bid. I was there when union people was in break room and it was ok until someone asked about the openings and the bid. Things went crazy then and I thought there was going to be a fight. A lot of cussing by some at those guys! Glad I wasnt one of them! People saying our union $#@% them once again. Most of you werent there or in LAS and Im telling you M.M. was telling people and counting the list from bottom as to open spots to bid on. Thats what I did and didnt bid either phl or dca. I might get den or dfw. Nobody told us differnt as packets were given out and I saw N.H. there too and two other guys. I know Jesters a jerk (sorry again!) but he is right about this one. Anyone know if I am furlough when i might try again for something open in phl or dca or somewhere else?

CHP

Hey Cream Horn,
Please see MM in person when you get a chance at work.

LuggageJockey said:
Correct. You wanted pay parity but a what total cost? Look back at the forum the majority of the west & small stations saw & wanted pay. We ket telling people to look at the scope of the agreement. Pay is important i agree however it is not everything.
Total cost? To whom? I'm still right side up on the deal.

I have pay parity because I weighed the total cost of NOT voting in the affirmative. So how long should I have waited for a different, better TA to have come along? Six more months? Another year? Two? Please indulge me, anyone, this bit I'm dying to know.

I am still of the opinion that this was the best we were going to get and I do not regret my decision. Even if I myself am eventually furloughed I still won't regret my vote because I understand that it is naive and ill-informed to think that, within the context of the grave state of the global economy right now, even the most shrewdly-crafted labor contract would be enough to save all fleet jobs in a company desperate just to keep its head above water.

LuggageJockey said:
That's not totally true. There were packets handed out to the bottom 9 or so fulltimers. Nobody is ever the furthest from the blade with this company or line of work.
Ah, yes, my good man, but let's speak candidly; what do you think your chances are of actually being furloughed, given your seniority and the fact that the company has no intention of chopping fleet heads in CLT?

Whether or not we voted in this contract the furloughs would have happened in LAS. And I feel there will be a similar situation taking place in PHX when we have a merger with united/american.

Status
Not open for further replies.