AFA Labor Relations thread 6/17-

Guess what, folks? Only 34 people who wanted to transfer to CLT for September were granted transfers. The rest were denied. This while there are still people who are displaced want to return to PHL and DCA. THE COMPANY IS FORCING JUNIOR PEOPLE OUT OF THEIR HOME BASE AT COMPANY EXPENSE WHILE DENYING OTHERS WHO VOLUNTARILY WANT TO GO THE OPPORTUNITY TO DO SO.

WHYYYYY?!?!?!?!?

How many people wanted to transfer?

From AFA MEC .... very interesting ....

Since the company first announced on June 18 that there was a need to displace out of PHL, AFA has been working to try and minimize the impact of displacing our members.

We were able to convince the company to reopen the CLT transfer bid, which saved 20 people from being displaced, and since that time, our focus has been on those members remaining on that list.

We have had numerous discussions with company representatives from Inflight Administration, Scheduling, Crew Planning, Labor Relations, etc., to show the company that there are alternatives which they have either ignored or chose not to consider. The most obvious is that by disclosing in a timely manner the increases and decreases of positions in PHL and CLT, this helps provide guidance to those who are considering a voluntary transfer.

When the company announced +30 openings for CLT effective August 31, for the September bid month, AFA again asked the company "what happens if you get more than 30, will you let our displaced members return to their base?" Their answer was that they would "look at it." Keep in mind the company didn't think they would get 30 requests. AFA learned yesterday that there were in fact, more than 50 transfer requests and only 34 were granted. Why the company would not let someone who wants to voluntarily transfer to CLT to prevent having to displace one of our members defies logic. Costs associated with displacements can run into thousands of dollars, not to mention moving days that must be awarded and for a company that seems to be willing to pick a penny out of asphalt, why wouldn't they want to reduce the number of displacements.

What we want you to know is that first thing Monday morning, AFA will once again be demanding that the company accept those who wanted to voluntarily transfer so as to allow a displaced member to return to PHL. We also believe that as the company continues to add time to CLT, there will more than likely continue to be requests for voluntary transfers and we've asked them to continue to post transfers openings each month. We will keep you updated as we receive information and we hope to have a resolution to this issue in the next few days.

In Solidarity,

Your AFA MEC

I would LOVE to hear the company spin on why 54 put in for a transfer to CLT when asked for 30. By allowing all 54 they could have given those that were forced to CLT the ability to return. WHY would the company basically go OUT OF THEIR WAY to screw with people? It's basic math....they needed 30 and got 54. Duuuuh. I feel so so so sorry for those want to come back but now can't. Hey it's just business right? Nothing personal. I'm sure it's personal to all affected. :rolleyes:

I really wished I could have left PHX and helped out some of my co-workers... there are people like me that don't care where we are based that could have saved some people from being uprooted! Merge dammit... MERGE!!!

Company Announces Flight Attendant Recall

E-line dated 7-21-2010 -

Yesterday afternoon the Company informed the Union of a recall of East and West Flight Attendants. The recall will be for November 1, 2010. The Company informed the Union the recall was necessary due to attrition and staffing shortages.
Today, the Company announced a recall of 125 East Flight Attendants. Pursuant to the Contract, the Company will send recall notices to East Flight Attendants on the East EXL list two letters- one via standard US Mail and one via US Certified Mail. Recall opportunities are offered to EXL Flight Attendants in inverse seniority order. The bottom 125 EXL Flight Attendants will be notified they are being recalled and the remainder of the 430 EXL Flight Attendants will be notified they may be recalled depending on the results of the first 125. (The rest can be found at afausairways.org) -

Displace first, recall second. GENIUS!

Company Announces Flight Attendant Recall

E-line dated 7-21-2010 -

Yesterday afternoon the Company informed the Union of a recall of East and West Flight Attendants. The recall will be for November 1, 2010. The Company informed the Union the recall was necessary due to attrition and staffing shortages.
Today, the Company announced a recall of 125 East Flight Attendants. Pursuant to the Contract, the Company will send recall notices to East Flight Attendants on the East EXL list two letters- one via standard US Mail and one via US Certified Mail. Recall opportunities are offered to EXL Flight Attendants in inverse seniority order. The bottom 125 EXL Flight Attendants will be notified they are being recalled and the remainder of the 430 EXL Flight Attendants will be notified they may be recalled depending on the results of the first 125. (The rest can be found at afausairways.org) -

Displace first, recall second. GENIUS!
No dog in this fight but looking for clarification, EAST to recall 125, 2 types of leave VF EXTENDED( took no money, retained seniority#, call back in reverse order) about 430? VFLR? took the money on bottom as indicated on system seniority list #s 5219-5919, Question 1, is that about right, Q2, how many on the 5219-5919 were offered recall and do they have to go thru all of them to get to the VF EXTENDED? THANX IN ADVANCE MM!

No dog in this fight but looking for clarification, EAST to recall 125, 2 types of leave VF EXTENDED( took no money, retained seniority#, call back in reverse order) about 430? VFLR? took the money on bottom as indicated on system seniority list #s 5219-5919, Question 1, is that about right, Q2, how many on the 5219-5919 were offered recall and do they have to go thru all of them to get to the VF EXTENDED? THANX IN ADVANCE MM!

Per July 12 e-line:

The first step in the actual recall process is to recall Flight Attendants from involuntary furlough. There are no Flight Attendants on involuntary furlough. The next step is to recall Flight Attendants from other types of voluntary leaves.
At the moment, Flight Attendants are on two types of leaves; 1) the Extended Leave (EXL) and, 2) The Voluntary Furlough with Limited Recall (VFLR).
These two very different types of leaves have different recall rights and provisions.
Should a recall become a reality, the Company will offer recall first to those on the EXL list then to those on the VFLR list.
EXL - Flight Attendants on EXL are on that list because they were participants in various Voluntary Furlough programs offered beginning in 2001. All of those furlough programs had an expiration date. At the time the expiration date for each furlough occurred, the Flight Attendant could either return to work (forcing another Flight Attendant to be involuntarily furloughed) or remain on voluntary furlough for any indefinite duration (i.e., until recalled). Flight Attendants on the EXL list have retained their original seniority date for bidding and travel purposes but, under some conditions, may have lost longevity for pay and vacation purposes. The seniority range on the EXL list is from 1973 to 1997. Below are the EXL terms with respect to recall:
A Flight Attendant on the EXL list will be offered one recall opportunity in inverse seniority order. A Flight Attendant choosing not to accept such a recall opportunity will be removed from the system seniority list and separated from the Company.
A Flight Attendant on the EXL list accepting recall is entitled to return to her/his base of record or origin. A vacancy in that domicile need not exist in order for a Flight Attendant to exercise that right.
Below is breakdown of the EXL list by domicile and current travel/retirement separation eligibility.
Total Flight Attendants on EXL list - 430 (at one point there were over 1100)
Total by Domicile*:
CLT - 129
DCA - 46
PHL - 255
*Flight Attendants on the EXL whose domicile closed while on leave had to indicate a domicile preference and her/his base of record was adjusted accordingly.
Current Travel/Retirement Separation Eligibility:
91 - 25/45 eligible
240 - 65 Point Plan
19 - Retirement and 25/45
8 - Retirement
72 - None
While the number "430" may seem daunting, the EXL list has been declining on a very steady basis and most Flight Attendants who have been sent recall notices in the past have not returned to the Company. Nonetheless, Flight Attendants on the EXL list have contractual rights that will be honored.

VFLR - There are approximately 650 Flight Attendants on the VFLR list. VFLR participants are offered recall in seniority order on the VFLR list, however those Flight Attendants forfeit the right to their seniority and longevity and return as a new hire in terms of base selection, bidding, pay and vacation.

Should the Company exhaust both the EXL and VFLR lists without filling the recall quota the Company would then start new hire classes.

I also "heard" they were going to recall 40 east pilots. Can you add anything to that rumor?
Cheers.

Per July 12 e-line:

The first step in the actual recall process is to recall Flight Attendants from involuntary furlough. There are no Flight Attendants on involuntary furlough. The next step is to recall Flight Attendants from other types of voluntary leaves.
At the moment, Flight Attendants are on two types of leaves; 1) the Extended Leave (EXL) and, 2) The Voluntary Furlough with Limited Recall (VFLR).
These two very different types of leaves have different recall rights and provisions.
Should a recall become a reality, the Company will offer recall first to those on the EXL list then to those on the VFLR list.
EXL - Flight Attendants on EXL are on that list because they were participants in various Voluntary Furlough programs offered beginning in 2001. All of those furlough programs had an expiration date. At the time the expiration date for each furlough occurred, the Flight Attendant could either return to work (forcing another Flight Attendant to be involuntarily furloughed) or remain on voluntary furlough for any indefinite duration (i.e., until recalled). Flight Attendants on the EXL list have retained their original seniority date for bidding and travel purposes but, under some conditions, may have lost longevity for pay and vacation purposes. The seniority range on the EXL list is from 1973 to 1997. Below are the EXL terms with respect to recall:
A Flight Attendant on the EXL list will be offered one recall opportunity in inverse seniority order. A Flight Attendant choosing not to accept such a recall opportunity will be removed from the system seniority list and separated from the Company.
A Flight Attendant on the EXL list accepting recall is entitled to return to her/his base of record or origin. A vacancy in that domicile need not exist in order for a Flight Attendant to exercise that right.
Below is breakdown of the EXL list by domicile and current travel/retirement separation eligibility.
Total Flight Attendants on EXL list - 430 (at one point there were over 1100)
Total by Domicile*:
CLT - 129
DCA - 46
PHL - 255
*Flight Attendants on the EXL whose domicile closed while on leave had to indicate a domicile preference and her/his base of record was adjusted accordingly.
Current Travel/Retirement Separation Eligibility:
91 - 25/45 eligible
240 - 65 Point Plan
19 - Retirement and 25/45
8 - Retirement
72 - None
While the number "430" may seem daunting, the EXL list has been declining on a very steady basis and most Flight Attendants who have been sent recall notices in the past have not returned to the Company. Nonetheless, Flight Attendants on the EXL list have contractual rights that will be honored.

VFLR - There are approximately 650 Flight Attendants on the VFLR list. VFLR participants are offered recall in seniority order on the VFLR list, however those Flight Attendants forfeit the right to their seniority and longevity and return as a new hire in terms of base selection, bidding, pay and vacation.

Should the Company exhaust both the EXL and VFLR lists without filling the recall quota the Company would then start new hire classes.

I also "heard" they were going to recall 40 east pilots. Can you add anything to that rumor?
Cheers.
Thank you very much, so exl first , one shot yea or ney and then to VFLR roughly pges 5279-5919 on the sen list, thanx again , you got it right roughly 40+ EAST RECALLS! MM!

Thank you very much, so exl first , one shot yea or ney and then to VFLR roughly pges 5279-5919 on the sen list, thanx again , you got it right roughly 40+ EAST RECALLS! MM!

Also all 95 West FAs and 40 West Pilots.

Any thoughts on folks coming back from EXL? The union says the list is dwindling, BUT the earlier E-line says there is 430 and the latest says 550, so that number magically increased.

I'm praying to get some seniority :rolleyes: and all the EXL's are senior.

I personally think they will go through the whole exl list and start on the vflr list to get the number they need. These people have been off property for YEARS and our current bankruptcy-broken contract is nothing to come back to, especially right at the holidays. Just my opinion - we will know at the end of August. I think it's interesting they announced this now with a close date of Aug 25 for training to begin Nov 1. That's +60 days after close date - ya think they might be planning for people to not come back?
When I returned from furlough there were 5 scheduled for class and I was the only one who showed up. I think it's going to be about a 20% return rate of EXL, 0% for VFLR.

I also think we will have a TA by the end of the year. We shall see...

Also all 95 West FAs and 40 West Pilots.

Any thoughts on folks coming back from EXL? The union says the list is dwindling, BUT the earlier E-line says there is 430 and the latest says 550, so that number magically increased.

I'm praying to get some seniority :rolleyes: and all the EXL's are senior.

No, the number didn't increase. There are a total of 430 FAs on the EXL, they're just recalling 125 of them. The interesting thing will be to see how many say "yes." It's conceivable they could get through all 430 and still not get the headcount they need, which would mean they'd then have to go into the VFLR list to get 125 people. Seniority ranges from 1973 to 1997 on the EXL list and they recall in inverse seniority.

I personally think they will go through the whole exl list and start on the vflr list to get the number they need. These people have been off property for YEARS and our current bankruptcy-broken contract is nothing to come back to, especially right at the holidays. Just my opinion - we will know at the end of August. I think it's interesting they announced this now with a close date of Aug 25 for training to begin Nov 1. That's +60 days after close date - ya think they might be planning for people to not come back?
When I returned from furlough there were 5 scheduled for class and I was the only one who showed up. I think it's going to be about a 20% return rate of EXL, 0% for VFLR.

OR MERGER or FRAGMENTATION! JUST A THOUGHT MM! Cleaning up the loose ends.

many of these people have BEEN AWAY for a considerable period of time and I would bet the Company has NO IDEA where they stand with THEIR RETURN and I would assume many of these folks will be STRESSED OUT on what to do..........Come Back with the current conditions or make a Clean and FINAL Break from US. 20% IS A REASONABLE ASSUMPTION. This "Pruning of the Tree" will clearly define what the TRUE Headcount IS and what Your Seniority can HOLD. BASE CLOSURES will also play a HUGE Factor for many.

Back