AFA Labor Relations thread 6/17-

V

VAflyGal

Herein begins the domino effect - 89 f/a's in PHL were told today they are getting outed effective August 1

CLT is short staffed. PHL people get to bid DCA or CLT, and if they can hold DCA, some poor f/a's in DCA will be displaced to CLT in their place.

Yes that's right, double displacements are on the horizon, people.

Moving expenses, moving days, uprooting lives, making messes.... It's the phrase that pays...

Moderator note:
Labor threads should only be started by moderators, but since the other one is long I'm going to close it & go with this.

I guess those flights to CLT are going to be filled to the brim with even more commuters from PHL! Don't forget to save a jumpseat for me!

(Read sarcasm and irony into the following): maybe we'll have some stupid throat-cutting fare war with Allegiant (however you spell it) - and will stuff stuff stuff the Seven-dirty-sevens with anyone who can rub two quarters together. Who cares about commuters? You should be glad you still have a job! *projectile vomits everywhere*

*Thanks, Mod* I was worried about that-

I guess those flights to CLT are going to be filled to the brim with even more commuters from PHL! Don't forget to save a jumpseat for me!
I would think it would be the PIT-CLT flights that suddenly get full, or are they all senior enough to hold their spots?

Ya know.....so many around here claim to have "paid their dues" but these bottom 89 people being displaced from PHL have been through a lot. They have been furloughed, displaced, furloughed, gone to Midatlantic only to get furloughed AGAIN. How much are you to take? This company has had staffing issues for YEARS...YEARS people! ! ! ! Instead of recalling f/a's off the VF list and offering TDY to CLT for a month they will uproot the lives of 89 people in PHL coupled with some from DCA that may get bumped. Due to a G'damn bean counter in a cubicle and crew planning they will instead displace and rip apart the lives of all involved. What a shame....what a terrible shame. When asking, "Does it ever end"....the answer here is NO. It will NEVER end at this DUMP, yes DUMP of an airline. For those with furlough on the horizon I'm truly sorry.

Thank you Travel.
Asked why can't the furloughed West f/a's get offered the chance to come to the East like the East furloughees were offered back in 05(ish?) - the answer is because the East has people out on furlough still, albeit VF and 99% will never come back anyway...
Why won't the company shake that VF tree, exhaust the list, offer the West furloughees a job, keep people from being displaced and double bumped...
It's mind boggling, and I don't understand.

Hey, "Nothing personal". It's only business right? Besides, you agreed to work weekends FOREVER, work holidays FOREVER, be the bottom pond scum FOREVER and be displaced as many times as the company needs along with on and off furloughs. ALL this for you for what 24K a year? This place is such a joke. I hope it makes many ask themselves, "Do I like to fly THIS much"? "Does this job prevent me from doing more than it allows"? :rolleyes:

Why won't the company shake that VF tree, exhaust the list, offer the West furloughees a job, keep people from being displaced and double bumped...
It's mind boggling, and I don't understand.

You gotta think like a beancounter. Doing what you say still leaves PHL overstaffed, meaning the company pays more FA's than needed. So displacing looks good on the spreadsheet. That doesn't make it "the right thing to do" but would undoubtedly be the way the company looks at it - employees are nothing more than dollar signs on the expense side of the ledger and the goal is to reduce the amount of dollar signs.

Jim

http://cbs3.com/topstories/Philadelphia.US.Airways.2.1760823.html#addComments

US Airways Flight Attendants Face Relocation Jam
PHILADELPHIA (CBS 3) ―
A flight attendant shortage in North Carolina is forcing some US Airways employees in Philadelphia to grapple with a difficult and possibly life-altering decision.

Eighty nine US Airways junior level flight attendants have been recently told that they will be reassigned and have to move to Charlotte.

You gotta think like a beancounter. Doing what you say still leaves PHL overstaffed, meaning the company pays more FA's than needed. So displacing looks good on the spreadsheet. That doesn't make it "the right thing to do" but would undoubtedly be the way the company looks at it - employees are nothing more than dollar signs on the expense side of the ledger and the goal is to reduce the amount of dollar signs.

Jim

Jim, they are continually RONing crews in PHL every day of the week from CLT.
If they want to reduce the amount of dollar signs, they need to fire the people who work in crew planning, and have a good talk with Paul Kinsey. That's where it begins. You should see the pairings for CLT this summer. Insanity.

I assume the same is true in reverse - PHL/DCA crews are having RONs in CLT as well. That has been and almost certainly will be the case going forward. You gotta remember how the whole scheduling process works - it starts with marketing, gets input from maintenance, and then the most efficient pairings are built based on both the "where the crews are" and "where do we need the crews". Notice that nowhere in there is the cost of RONs.

Jim

The staffing requirements for this airline should have been handled properly when they closed LGA and BOS...and they weren't. Another example of the ineptitude in Tempe. Instead they will uproot people once again and to cover their mistakes. They are threatening the livelihoods of those who can least afford it because they can't get the stupid formula right...

And as for our Union...come on...it's 3pm the next day and still not a peep from our "leadership". It was on the news last night, but our Union can't get an E-line out to its members??? Really?? If one F/A has quit since this announcement--it is AFA's fault. Where is the direction, the explanation of options, the "strongly worded" letter to the company???....Nothing but crickets....

And they wonder why morale in this joint is a problem.....

Bob: "We can't let the Reserves break Guarantee, that will cost a fortune".

Joe: "You're right! It happened last month and again its happening now. Let's displace 89 people to CLT. That will fix it."

What's less expensive? TDY for a few months or the moving expenses for 89 employees or even better yet, better crew planning so CLT doesn't work PHL flights and Vice Versa. Whats even worse is PHX is stull understaffed but with our contract still being seperate, we cannot offer the invols a job nor offer openings out there.

Half of these displacements will, unfortunately, probably quit.

As always, shoot first, then aim.

I just returned from a trip hearing about the displacements. I mentioned that I did not get an e-line from the Union. I thought maybe my internet connection when verklumpt, but no, it did not .... not a word from Mr. F since the last shouting match email he blasted.

Bob: "We can't let the Reserves break Guarantee, that will cost a fortune".

Joe: "You're right! It happened last month and again its happening now. Let's displace 89 people to CLT. That will fix it."

What's less expensive? TDY for a few months or the moving expenses for 89 employees or even better yet, better crew planning so CLT doesn't work PHL flights and Vice Versa. Whats even worse is PHX is stull understaffed but with our contract still being seperate, we cannot offer the invols a job nor offer openings out there.

Half of these displacements will, unfortunately, probably quit.

As always, shoot first, then aim.

I just returned from a trip hearing about the displacements. I mentioned that I did not get an e-line from the Union. I thought maybe my internet connection when verklumpt, but no, it did not .... not a word from Mr. F since the last shouting match email he blasted.
Absolutely nothing yet from the Union..nothing from the MEC...nothing from the Local. It makes me sick....

Back