US Airways delays A350 deliveries

Status
Not open for further replies.

Elevation

Veteran
Oct 21, 2002
Article here.

Star Alliance member US Airways has pushed back delivery of its 22 Airbus A350 XWBs by one year. Did Dougie boy forget to mention this or was I not paying attention?

It's brand new. US Airways revealed the info in its 10-Q filing with the SEC today. Also worth noting is the carrier's announcement that it plans to reduce further aircraft in 2009 and 2010. Full par below...(going to write about this in a separate piece)

Fleet Reduction: We are returning ten aircraft to lessors, which includes six Boeing 737-300 aircraft to be returned by the end of 2008 and four Airbus A320 aircraft to be returned in the first half of 2009. We have also cancelled the leases of two A330-200 wide-body aircraft that had been scheduled for delivery in the second half of 2009. Further, we plan to reduce additional aircraft in 2009 and 2010.

Unfortunately, it sounds like (new) US is doing the same as (old) US did in BK2 - putting off aircraft deliveries to get some money back from Airbus (deposits/progress payments already made).

Jim

Unfortunately, it sounds like (new) US is doing the same as (old) US did in BK2 - putting off aircraft deliveries to get some money back from Airbus (deposits/progress payments already made).

Jim
That would only happen is there were companies (well run, I might add) who could pick up the slack from the moronic US/HP/ALPA cretinism. Otherwise, guess again.

A very prudent and responsible move considering todays economical environment, especially in the airline industry.

Some very irresponsible and vindictive armchair analysts, who decide this is an omen, are amateurs. Tweaking deliveries of aircraft 6 years from now by one year, is acceptable.

This is a nasty business that will incur many casualties and survivors. This move is a very small piece of the puzzle of adaptation to a cyclical industry.

May I note that some posters belong to an association that are asking customers not to fly on a particular airline. This strategy is not working. They are stepping up, what they think is the heat. I consider them nothing but keystone cops extortionists.

The A350 is still a paper airplane at this point, still going thru (many) design changes, last I read. So, chances are this airframe won't be ready for delivery until at least early 2014 anyway. This is no big deal folks....let's not read too much into it.

The A350 is still a paper airplane at this point, still going thru (many) design changes, last I read. So, chances are this airframe won't be ready for delivery until at least early 2014 anyway. This is no big deal folks....let's not read too much into it.

I prefer that the next post after mine, disagrees with me, it is a much more enjoyable experience

To suggest this decision has anything but short-term motivation, is to demonstrate faith in the still unseen ability of LCC upper management to see over the smallest rise in the road.

Why does this decision not surprise me?

You are better than the rest of us. I like your other quote about Air Tran and poor people. It must be hard to be around other people in this industry when you are so superior.

Delta 777 quote, he is better than Us Airways, Air Tran and ee God, poor people that fly in the back.

Delta 777 quote;
" "Clearly Airtran hasn't learned that simple lesson, as judged by their poor 3rd quarter results. And while the "less fortunate" are still flying, mainly on Airtran and other LCC's, its abundantly clear that you've had to lower the price of your product to the point of taking huge losses to enable these bottom feeders to still justify the cost of an airline ticket, versus their usual mode of transportation, namely Greyhound.

Airtran is really small potatoes in Delta's eyes at this point. We have much grander plans.

And please don't think i dislike Airtran employees or its passengers. I don't. I do despise your management, however. As they were all too happy to "facilitate" US Airways in their hostile takeover attempt of Delta back in 2006. I actually think Airtran does a noble job of providing air service to those who would probably otherwise never step foot inside an airplane. I'm convinced to this day that Airtran is government-subsidized commercial aviation for poor people." "

This is the height of arrogance peppered with patronization on your part sir, in my opinion of course. It is obvious you have not spent any time around folks that have worked hard and were self made.

Oh, by the way, for you poor people that want the lowest fares,click here, guaranteed lowest fair.

Airbus is maybe in trouble financially or technically and saying to US that there's a high probability that i won't be ready in 2014 so better to delay delivery and plan accordingly.

Airbus is maybe in trouble financially or technically and saying to US that there's a high probability that i won't be ready in 2014 so better to delay delivery and plan accordingly.

Plan accordingly. How about this...cancel the A350 orders and place orders with Boeing for brand new Boeing 787s. :up:

While the A350 assembly line may very well be delayed anyway, it is disturbing that management even wants to put off these deliveries in light of the fact that they need the A350 to realistically operate the China flights. Do they EVER plan on operating to the Pacific rim? Not having the proper airplanes, and delaying the delivery of the proper airplanes, is not the best way to build credibility to the DOT for any future route authority to the Far East.

Delta777 quote;
" "Clearly Airtran hasn't learned that simple lesson, as judged by their poor 3rd quarter results. And while the "less fortunate" are still flying, mainly on Airtran and other LCC's, its abundantly clear that you've had to lower the price of your product to the point of taking huge losses to enable these bottom feeders to still justify the cost of an airline ticket, versus their usual mode of transportation, namely Greyhound.

Airtran is really small potatoes in Delta's eyes at this point. We have much grander plans.

And please don't think i dislike Airtran employees or its passengers. I don't. I do despise your management, however. As they were all too happy to "facilitate" US Airways in their hostile takeover attempt of Delta back in 2006. I actually think Airtran does a noble job of providing air service to those who would probably otherwise never step foot inside an airplane. I'm convinced to this day that Airtran is government-subsidized commercial aviation for poor people." "
Wow....
I always thought Delta777 was Delta's "VERSION" of our own USA320Pilot and UA's 767jetz. After this statement, I realize that might be an insult to USA320Pilot and 767jetz....sorry guys. :lol:

Fleet Reduction: We are returning ten aircraft to lessors, which includes six Boeing 737-300 aircraft to be returned by the end of 2008 and four Airbus A320 aircraft to be returned in the first half of 2009. We have also cancelled the leases of two A330-200 wide-body aircraft that had been scheduled for delivery in the second half of 2009. Further, we plan to reduce additional aircraft in 2009 and 2010.
This is scary with possibly no more E190 coming and reductions beyond pass calculations. The pilots UNIONS NEED TO START WORRYING ABOUT THE FLEET COUNT AND EXPRESS SCOPE ………………

Status
Not open for further replies.