Alpa Provides Proposal To Management

Bob:

Wouldn't you be the first to gripe about poor passenger service from non-experienced people?

I think US doesn't have the luxury of having inexperienced employees. Inexperienced employees can make costly mistakes. Sabre is very tricky from what I hear and it takes 18 months to be truly proficient on it. The more experienced employees will usually do better, make better choices just from habit.

I'd like to expound on this but I have to get out the door. I'll be away from all computers for the next few days, so behave yourselves while I'm gone. :p

Dea

"Right now "Experience" is a luxuary that US Airways can ill afford."

In the abstract, seniority (or experience) may be something we have too much of. However, we didn't get here because all the employees demanded to be senior and got their wish. We got here because management reduced the size of the airline more than any other after 9-11. Along the way, they cut short the careers of thousands of loyal, dedicated employees. Now that management is faced with the costs associated with their actions, they're crying foul, not only wanting the remaining employees to pay for their "experience surplus", but to pay for the means of addressing it - expansion.

Jim

BoeingBoy said:
...not only wanting the remaining employees to pay for their "experience surplus", but to pay for the means of addressing it - expansion.
At this point I'm afraid there isn't enough money left for expansion. :(

BoeingBoy said:
"Right now "Experience" is a luxuary that US Airways can ill afford."

In the abstract, seniority (or experience) may be something we have too much of. However, we didn't get here because all the employees demanded to be senior and got their wish. We got here because management reduced the size of the airline more than any other after 9-11. Along the way, they cut short the careers of thousands of loyal, dedicated employees. Now that management is faced with the costs associated with their actions, they're crying foul, not only wanting the remaining employees to pay for their "experience surplus", but to pay for the means of addressing it - expansion.

Jim
Well, remember the unions demand that layoffs be done in seniority order. Management surely would never have laid off all the junior folks if they could have thinned the ranks out at all levels.

Funguy2:

Funguy2 asked: "I thought the minimum number of aircraft in the fleet is 279?"

USA320Pilot answers: It is, however, the company is currently operating 283 mainline aircraft and the airline has 3 A320 aircraft parked in the desert that could be flown.

Funguy2 asked: "And you are saying it will be 357 (320+37)?"

USA320Pilot answers: No, the airline is operating 283 aircraft and ALPA has been told the new business plan anticipates growing the mainline to 320 total mainline aircraft. Last Thursday Bruce Lakefield told ALPA that he was meeting with the Airbus' senior vice president of sales to discuss new aircraft deliveries starting in 2005. ALPA has not been told what aircraft could be added to the fleet.

Funguy2 asked: "Or are you saying 37 is added to 279 for a total of 316?"

USA320Pilot answers: No, see comment above.

Funguy2 asked: "Do these numbers include MidAtlantic?"

USA320Pilot answers: No, the scope clause separates MidAtlantic. The company is asking for 90-seat RJs, which could be part of the 320 fleet count. The company is looking at the EMB-190/195 as a B737 replacement and the CRJ-705 and CRJ-900. These aircraft have a gross weight that require them to be flown on the mainline, unless ALPA waves this clause.

Funguy2 asked: "And, I guess, the matter of actually financing new airplanes, is somebody else's job... But indications are that UAIR cannot afford more airplanes."

USA320Pilot answers: You're correct, unless the company can get a competitive cost structure. With a competitive cost structure, Lakefield believes the airline can return to the capital markets.

Regards,

USA320Pilot

USFlyer said:
Well, remember the unions demand that layoffs be done in seniority order. Management surely would never have laid off all the junior folks if they could have thinned the ranks out at all levels.
Perhaps you would prefer that they begin the layoffs starting with YOU??????

Watch out what you wish for and remember this: A union is a necessary evil.

ktflyhome said:
Ever since my granddaughter was born I never made a promise to her, that I knew full well I couldn't keep. So, when I promise her something, we make a "pinky" promise. We link our pinky fingers together. Hence "pinky promise". This is a set in stone promise and I vow to follow through. It has guaranteed trust, faith, consistancy and integrity and above all Love. :)
Sorry, I'm to plastered to even think about pinky promises and US Airways in the same breathe. Somebody help me!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

USA320Pilot said:
USA320Pilot answers: It is, however, the company is currently operating 283 mainline aircraft and the airline has 3 A320 aircraft parked in the desert that could be flown.
Regards,
USA320Pilot
Wrong, there are no more airbii parked at GYR, they were all leased again.

The company only abrogated one A320, and five A319s and they are all leased and back in the active fleet.

USA320Pilot said:
Just one more point...

................... and increase the pay cap to the highest level of any legacy carrier.
USA320Pilot,

Your statement is not true. ALL UA 320 & 737 pilots fall under the LCC provisions and have a 95 hour Cap. Line times right now are averaging close to 90 hours/month.

DENVER, CO

E-TRONS said:
Perhaps you would prefer that they begin the layoffs starting with YOU??????

Watch out what you wish for and remember this: A union is a necessary evil.
First, I don't work for US. Second, I narrowly dodged a layoff at the company I work for, who does not in any way, shape or form layoff junior folks first. We layoff at all levels to keep the organization in check.

mweiss,

" At this point I'm afraid there isn't enough money left for expansion."

Expansion doesn't necessarily mean new planes, although that would be nice. Just increasing the utilization of the existing fleet would be expansion. As I've said before, increasing utilization 15% is worth about 1 cent in overall CASM reduction (and that includes recalling the personnel to crew the extra time). Since the new "Transformation Plan" envisions cutting CASM by only 2.1 cents by the 2006-2007 time frame with about 1.65 cents of that from labor, that 1 cent from increased utilization is nothing to sneeze at.

Jim

The long range fleet plan for an independent business enterprise will likely include:

A330-200/300s
A319/320/321s
EMB-170/175/190/195 aircraft

The B767/757 and B737s will need to be replaced because of their age and due to present scope restrictions, the EMB-190/195s would be flown on the mainline.

If the company does not sell PSA, then we could see the CRJ-705/900 added to the fleet, however, the company prefers the EMB aircraft because it has better economics than the Bombardier product.

In regard to productivity, ALPA will likely approve a 96-hour monthly pay cap, a 288-hour quarterly pay cap, and 6-hour average minimum day. This would permit increased productivity at lower rates, but keep the monthly gross pay slightly below current levels. This would be similar in scope to working overtime to keep pilot gross pay near current levels.

In regard to increased utilization, the company wants to increase utilization to 11.5 hours per day in the short-term, but then further increase the daily utilization rate to 12.5 hours per day. This will have a dramatic impact on CASM with quick turns from key Northeast cities to large O&D revenue markets. Furthermore, when the GoFares program is implemented in these markets, traffic will be stimulated.

Regards,

USA320Pilot

Latest posts

Back