Amfa Fails To Get Election At Aa

Insurgent AA union falls short

By D.R. STEWART World Staff Writer
6/17/2004

A National Mediation Board official says not enough cards were signed.
A federal investigator has determined that an insurgent mechanics union at American Airlines has fallen short in its bid to call for a union representation election aimed at unseating the Transport Workers Union.

In a ruling Wednesday, National Mediation Board investigator Eileen Hennessey determined that 18,661 American Airlines employees are classified as mechanics and are eligible to vote in a union representation election.

Hennessey's ruling means the insurgent Aircraft Mechanics Fraternal Association, which has mounted a drive to unseat the TWU over the past year, has not shown adequate interest to call for an election. AMFA needed signed authorization cards from 50 percent plus one -- or 9,331 -- mechanics to hold an election.

AMFA officials said they submitted 9,274 signed cards to the National Mediation Board -- 57 cards short of

the requirement based on Hennessey's number. But AMFA supporters said Hennessey's list was inflated.

Hennessey could not be reached for comment. The board does not disclose how many authorization cards were found to be valid.

Don Rodgers, AMFA co-chairman in Tulsa, said AMFA will appeal Hennessey's ruling. The union has until June 30 to appeal to the National Mediation Board, and the TWU would have until July 8 to file a rebuttal, Rodgers said.

"No matter what happens on appeal, this doesn't change anything," Rodgers said. "We will keep driving on, and eventually we will win. It's only a matter of time.

"If this ruling holds up, we will start another card drive right away."

Jim Little, director of the TWU's air transport division, said he appreciated the diligence of the National Mediation Board.

"We are very proud of our members who supported TWU, and we extend our hand to those who supported AMFA," Little said. "It's time for all of us to come together and build a strong union that will fight for our future."

AMFA supporters, however, said they will not mend fences with the TWU, which has represented mechanics at American since 1946.

"My response is: No vote, no peace," said Dave Stewart, AMFA co-chairman in Tulsa. "We're going to spool up the card drive and go at them again.

"Nobody I know is going to retreat back to the TWU. To deprive us of a vote leaves us completely divided.

"Had there been a vote and the TWU won, I would have taken off my AMFA shirt and supported the TWU. But to deprive us of a vote because of an inflated eligibility list is not acceptable to me."

AMFA submitted to the board a list of 16,014 mechanics eligible to vote in a representation election. The TWU's list had 18,400 mechanics eligible to vote, and American's list contains 18,600 names, officials said.

AMFA supporters accuse the TWU and the company of inflating the eligibility list to dilute AMFA support.

"On April 10, 2001, when TWA and American merged, the National Mediation Board declared that the class and craft of mechanics at American totaled 16,501," Stewart said. "In the last three years -- during the worst downturn in aviation history -- the board says we added 2,000 employees.

"That says to me that tomorrow we will start signing cards."

The AMFA challenge gained strength after the TWU gave up pay and benefits totaling close to 25 percent to keep American from filing for bankruptcy in April 2003.

Mechanics, pilots and flight attendants agreed to wage and benefit cuts of $1.8 billion over five years as part of $4 billion in cuts that American made to stay in business.

I think Amfa has inflated their valid cards by including Management to the list. In this decission the board will not disclose the valid cards from Amfa. It's in their hands. They can Inflate all they want! We will only know that their was insufficient Interest! Even if Amfa is successful at reducing the 18,661 they very well may fall short. Dont be fooled by the Amfa inflated list they claimed to have! After all their the ones who originally claimed to have over 9600 cards to start with. Just remember lies get you know where!

You know this is Amfa's third try in the last 5 years. With one of the worse times in the Airline Industry. Amfa raises their head every time. Amfa Delle femine and Terry Harvey have been qouted three times saying they have over 50% cards signed at AA. Only to find out this is not the case. The sheep who blindly follow this nightmare needs to stop and rethink the path they have chosen.

During the Amfa convention in May they have proposed many things. Three that stand out is they want to change some wording from Aviaton technician to Amfa member, second they want to start a new division for General aviation and third party maintenance and third they want to open discussions to merge with another Union.

Before you look any further I believe you need to research the New Amfa before pursuing them again.

Are you also aware while negotiating concessions at United for retires. (by the way amfa settled first and was worse than what the other unions received) Amfa Convention delegates were insuring a retirement fund equal to 190,000 thousand dollars for Delle Femine!

Stop and become educated before you blindly seek a new Union. It is not always greener on the other side of the fence!!!!

"No matter what happens on appeal, this doesn't change anything," Rodgers said. "We will keep driving on, and eventually we will win. It's only a matter of time.

"If this ruling holds up, we will start another card drive right away"
My response is: No vote, no peace," said Dave Stewart, AMFA co-chairman in Tulsa. "We're going to spool up the card drive and go at them again.

"Nobody I know is going to retreat back to the TWU. To deprive us of a vote leaves us completely divided.

"Had there been a vote and the TWU won, I would have taken off my AMFA shirt and supported the TWU. But to deprive us of a vote because of an inflated eligibility list is not acceptable to me.

I couldn't have said it better myself. The AMFA organizers have way to much fight left to just go back to the twus cowardly ways. We will fight for a vote......NO MATTER WHAT!!!!!!!! If the twu can manage to win a vote by the membership, then, and only then, will I return to supporting the twu!!!!
I wish Randy Mcdonald the best of luck in the upcoming election. Today we start campaigning for him.
NO VOTE, NO PEACE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Keep the Faith..........AMFA NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Stop the Bus..I Want Off! said:
I wish Randy Mcdonald the best of luck in the upcoming election. Today we start campaigning for him.
NO VOTE, NO PEACE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Keep the Faith..........AMFA NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Of course you do. Just a blatant example of poor sportsmanship not to mention idiocracy. You don't win so you take everyone else down along with you. That's real unionism!!

I do hope you think about your actions because like I told Dave, this election is about more than just you and the other amfa supporters. What's the number in TUL, 8000 (+/-) folks affected by the outcome of president???

If Randy does manage to get elected, it probably won't be for long anyway. Look for him to butter up to you. He's good at that!

Like I said before. . .do what you must.

twuer said:
Of course you do. Just a blatant example of poor sportsmanship not to mention idiocracy. You don't win so you take everyone else down along with you. That's real unionism!!

I do hope you think about your actions because like I told Dave, this election is about more than just you and the other amfa supporters. What's the number in TUL, 8000 (+/-) folks affected by the outcome of president???

If Randy does manage to get elected, it probably won't be for long anyway. Look for him to butter up to you. He's good at that!

Like I said before. . .do what you must.
Idiocracy is not supporting a vote of the membership!! There is no way in hell I will have 20 years of concessions forced down my throat by the twu. Only a vote would have re-gained my support for the twu. Until then my agenda is for "REAL CHANGE"!!

No Vote, No Peace...............

Keep the Faith.......AMFA NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!

twuer said:

ILike I said before. . .do what you must.

This isn't a "sport", this is about a profession. An idea to place ALL mechanics into one union.

But of course you and the Government want to make a game of politics out of our livelyhood.

OK then, but remember, we play to WIN!

Board disputes union count for American vote

By Sean Wood

Star-Telegram Staff Writer

A preliminary ruling puts a labor representation vote at American Airlines in doubt.

The National Mediation Board has thrown a wrench into one union's plans to take over representation of thousands of American Airlines mechanics.

Officials with the Aircraft Mechanics Fraternal Association, a mechanics union based in Laconia, N.H., say they believe they have enough signatures from eligible voters to force a representation vote.

But the board said Thursday that there are 18,661 eligible voters. If that number sticks on appeal, AMFA is shy of its requirement of signatures from more than 50 percent of those eligible, the union said.

Don Rogers, chairman of the AMFA organizing committee in Tulsa, Okla., said Thursday that the union thought there were about 17,000 eligible voters. He declined to say how many signatures the union presented to the Mediation Board earlier this year.

The board has "manipulated this list to stop this election," Rogers said. The Mediation Board ruled in 2001 that there were 16,500 eligible voters, and "somehow we've got 2,000 more in the intervening years."

AMFA plans to appeal the ruling. In a recorded message at the union's New Hampshire headquarters, Terry Harvey, the assistant national director, called the eligibility list "highly inflated."

Board spokesperson Rachel Barbour said Thursday that voter eligibility is still under examination.

"Appeals are due June 30," she said. "Then there is an opportunity for responses due July 8. Then it goes to the board level."

She declined to comment beyond the specifics of the NMB's ruling and the appeals process.

Mechanics at American have been represented by the Transport Workers Union since the 1940s. The push came for new representation after some members complained that the Transport Workers conceded too much in an effort to keep American out of bankruptcy last year.

Jim Little, who oversees American's ground workers for the Transport Workers, issued a statement Wednesday night saying there will be no "representation election at American Airlines between AMFA and TWU."

"We are very proud of our members who supported TWU and we extend our hand to those who supported AMFA," Little wrote in a statement. "It is time for all of us to come together and build a strong union that will fight for our future."

Ray Abernathy, spokesperson for Transport Workers, said the union is ready to move forward, but will respond appropriately through the appeal process. "There has been a lot of conflict in the workplace in the past year," he said. "We feel good about the ruling."

Rogers said if the board rules against AMFA, the union will start the process all over again.

"We'll come right back and start signing cards," he said. "They've had to put down on a piece of paper exactly who's eligible. It will be easier to get 50 percent plus one than ever before. We were scattershooting in the dark. If there is no vote, there is no peace."

THIS JUST IN....

If your Local Election Precinct does not have 50% plus one eligible voters registered with the local county election board, you will not be allowed to vote in the November Presidential Election. And if a majority of precincts do not have 50% plus one eligible voters of their precinct registerd by September 1st, 2004, then the November Presidential Elections will be called off due to insufficient interest and George W. Bush will remain President of the United States of America until such time that all precincts report that 50% plus one eligible voters are registered.

In addition, you have 12 months from this announcement to get your precinct showing 50% plus registered voter interest or your precinct will be denied balloting on all couny, city, state, and judicial elections beginning July 4th, 2005 until such time that you can reach the sufficient interest threshold.

Illegal aliens will be counted within your precinct as eligible voters and you will be required to have registration documentation that is of all spoken languages of your current population.

Anyone moving out of your precinct will be counted as a member of your precinct for a 10 year period because they could be reasonably expected to return or move back into your precinct within that time 10 year time frame.

Any appeals or protest to this change will be decided by the Florida Election Committee and all decisions made by that Office will be final and binding.

GOOD LUCK, with your future Government Representation!

"scattershooting"?????

Where is he from. . . .Oklahoma????!!!!

:D :D :huh: ;)

He declined to say how many signatures the union presented to the Mediation Board earlier this year.

?????WONDER WHY?????

It looks like Rogers had a talking to. I suspect announcing the cards submitted put the International in a bad position; why they lied about the card filing and will now make it difficult to contest the Eligibility list. What will happen now if Amfa is successful at reducing the 18,661 down to 18,400 and an election is still not held? Potential Amfa wannabes are already upset about being lied to for the past several years. And besides the numbers report to the Tulsa world were inflated by Rogers.

The saga continues,

Checking it Out said:
It looks like Rogers had a talking to. I suspect announcing the cards submitted put the International in a bad position; why they lied about the card filing and will now make it difficult to contest the Eligibility list. What will happen now if Amfa is successful at reducing the 18,661 down to 18,400 and an election is still not held? Potential Amfa wannabes are already upset about being lied to for the past several years. And besides the numbers report to the Tulsa world were inflated by Rogers.

The saga continues,
No matter how you twist it cio, if the appeal process fails for AMFA, and you twu stooges continue to gloat about the obscene FRAUD committed by the twu, AA, NMB. You have further strengthened the AMFA organizers resolve to follow through with another card drive. Even the timid and quiet are fuming over this malicious act. There will be even more of us next time.

You think this is over? NOT by a long shot. We have four years before we face another twu sellout. There is not a snow balls chance the twu can last that long.

NO VOTE? NO PEACE!!!!

Don uses the term "scattershooting" because he was raised in Tyler, Texas (Smith County), and the use of a scattergun (shotgun) is required when the target you are shooting for is fast moving, and a very unstable target, and unpredictable.

However, he is happy to report that the target is now subdued, and a more precise stratgey and weapon can now be used to accomplish the mission.

The target will now be defined, stationary, and very predictable and will only come closer to the shooter as members retire, resign, and transition to the after life. Any re-calls will not change the number, and we know AA will not be hiring for sometime.

Don excels as a marksman with a high powered precision weapon, and looks forward to the challenge. He admits truthfully, that shooting at an unknown as fast moving target is not his best hunting.

I don't agree with the ruling I think that the NMB is anything but impartial they are obviously completly pro company as they allowed everyone that the company wanted to be eligible, but I did say that I would support the winner in this battle no matter how they won legitamitly or ilegitamitly and that is what I am going to do, I put alot of my own money and time into trying to get AMFA in at AA, I do not regret doing this as I think it was the right thing to do at the time, but I will not do it again atleast not until I see what kind of contract the TWU gets us in 2009, I can't speak for anyone else but as for me I do think that now we should all unite with the TWU in an attempt to get a decent contract in 2009 and if the TWU fails again at that time I will support AMFA again to try and get a better tougher Union in at AA.
so I say congradulations to the TWU supporters you have dodged a bullet this time but if things don't get better on the next contract you might not be so lucky next time ;)

since I am going to give the TWU another chance I will only be voting for one incumbent officer and that is Mike Mcdonald everyone else is History as far as my vote goes, I want new tougher blood as officers in our local, I do not believe in sabotage voting as some have suggested to me that makes no sense, so I will be voting on people who I think will do a good job and get us a decent contract, I know that the TWU is capable of getting a decent contract because it was done in 2001 so it can be done and I hope it will be done in 2009 ;)

I do hope that the past TWU supporters do not gloat too much over this as I do not think that will help bring AMFA supporters back to give the TWU another chance.
Just something to think about before you start bragging too much. <_<

Raptor, the TWU didn't get you a contract in 2001. AMFA at Northwest did! If the TWU stays in power there probably won't be any mechanics at AA in 2009.

AMFA does have an appeal but they appealed the decision at United also and lost, it is clear to me that arbitrators are going to give the NMB the last word when it comes to deciding who will be in the Mechanic Craft and Class I don't like it anymore than I like the NMB decision but that is just the way things are.
It has been said that atleast now AMFA knows what the target is, that is not the case at United they changed the target on the very next drive by 2 classifications and the NMB allowed them to get away with it so the target is far from static when dealing with the NMB, on the next drive they may even allow Management to be added to the Craft and Class as they did at United :shock:
The NMB is pro company and anything can happen under that type of situation and none of it is very positive. <_<
once again that is just the way things are, also I do not believe that there will be more cards signed in another drive than there were in this drive, this drive by far had the highest card count of all the drives in the last 15 years and that of course was because of the concession, I think people have cooled off some over it and probably much less will sign cards for a while, I say give the TWU one more chance we can allways try again in 2009 if we don't get another good contract.
I would suggest that the TWU supporters should take it easy on the gloating and bragging as I do not think that this will encourage AMFA supporters to give the TWU another chance ;)

Latest posts