Check out my reserve flight attendant blog...

I'm not trying to be the P!SS on the campfire here but what if we got ALL the reserves together. Together and do what? The company is NOT going to change anything that is in the contract to enhance or make the life of the reserve easier. Being a reserve myself we all who had voice in voting are responsible for what we have today. I don't think you'd find a reserve that would be against improvements by any means. How, what and where do we DEMAND these changes? We are stuck folks. Until sometime in 2025 when we get a new contract it is going to continue to be what it is. I don't think that many of the folks in my year of 1998 forgot about us reserves. Those that got a block are supposed to do what for us now? They were able to hold a block so they did. I don't get how their compassion would help. It's a frustrating feeling and I hate what we deal with but where do we go from here? :blink:
Travelpro is on the right track...

You see even if you have seniroity, it is all relative to your base. 25 yrs in PHL means you can pick how and when you fly... That is what's important to that 25 yr f/a. A f/a in PIT with 25 yrs is a secondary line holder... That f/a is on the edge to being a res. A f/a with 10 yrs in DCA is on res... That f/a has the issues with their seniority and how it deals with them...

No one said the system works. Unfortunately, it is what we have. The multi-point plan on the blog is great, but you see, for the most part, it is what we had. We all had a choice during both BK's. When it was your turn to vote...you had a choice to turn down the proposal... You didn't...

That said, it is important to focus on what is good for the entire group. Not just one segment of it... With my 25 yrs... We merged with 3 different airlines... I am an original US employee... What happened to me?... My contract remained the same and everyone else was brought up to my level... If there is a group that is the most deserving to improvement... it is the f/a with atleast 25 years of seniority that is original US. While being a res sucks for you right now, your relitive senority hasn't suffered as the f/a with much more has had to endure.

How would you like it if your contract hadn't made substantial improvements for the better part of 20 yrs?
And worse off, all you have done is give to others so they could improve?

I know it's ruff... No one on our property is saying it isn't. You just need to look at the bigger picture than just yourself... When, and I do mean when a contract comes to a vote... You do have a voice... Try to use it RIGHT this time...

Remember, you get what you negotiate...
Nothing more, nothing less...

Just my opinion...

I know it's ruff... No one on our property is saying it isn't. You just need to look at the bigger picture than just yourself... When, and I do mean when a contract comes to a vote... You do have a voice... Try to use it RIGHT this time...

Just my opinion...

Just because a contract is passed doesn't mean that FlightChic voted for it or was even on the property to vote for or against it as your post implies.

Myself, when I look at the "bigger picture" I see block holders with a great quality of life at the expence of reserves. The "bigger picture" that needs to be seen is that changes need to be made to equal out the quality of life for employees regardless if you are a block holder or reserve.

Hopefully the union is getting this message loud and clear from the reserves. Hopefully, they will be smart enough and creative enough to balance this mess out so that reserves see improvements and block holders still have a great quality of life.

Just my opinion...

Actually, probably less then that because after you manage to negotiate whatever you get the Company will then interpret that outside of what you thought was agreed to and then start the grievence thing all over again and they have the most money, relatively speaking, to play the game. Plus, time is always on their side.

That having been said, I tend to agree with the premise both you and Travelpro72 are discussing. The bottom line is that things are unlikely to get better for reserves and that unless folks really like the lifestyle they should consider other choices for their lives. I know that sucks, but it is the unfortunate reality.

That sums it up Baja. :up: The lineholders from 92-98 that are holding lines now are silent. They got thrown the piece of meat and are enjoying every bite. I disagree a little as I don't think US Airways will even be around come the winter for those same people to complain again. The funny part is we all have the ablility to change it but it's like pulling the emergency stop cord on the train. We can stop it but it takes us all pulling the stop cord. <_<
I am sorry, but I have to call BULLS**T on this one. I am still a reserve, but where do you get the idea that the 92-98 reserves are now "silent?" Every single one of them is now completely ignoring reserve issues because they have a block? BULL. What would you do if you held a block in the summer? YOU WOULD ACCEPT IT AND FLY IT. Period. Believe me, the 92-98's know their fate come October, and are most certainly not silent. Let's not extend the reserve "pity party" to channels where it does not belong....

Reserve pitty party? Nah. Just the way things are. Of course anyone would accept the block but I used to be copied in on emails flying back and forth and mini newsletters from certain people on ideas to fix it. I see from the list a large majority have got blocks & I no longer get those emails. They can't fly their blocks and continue to help in the efforts to change/better the system? :rolleyes: Call it what ya will but I say that right there is the BULL**** part of the story.

Fellow Flight attendants-

I want to bring to light a point that most of you are familiar with. These are the darkest days of USAirways bar none. Managment looks for buyers and no one bites but then again who want this 57 Chevy with 4 flat tires? To the reserve group who is suffering, it was only 4 months ago that a lot of you were chanting and demanding action be taken. With the explosion of the international market, many of you are holding lines for the summer. I ask what about the reserves that you left behind? Block holders are here to stay. Even with the PBGC enhancement no one is budging off the property it seems. Unfortunately for all of us we are too predictable. Its a self induced sense of entitlement that has rotted each one of us to the core. There are still reserves out there being abused on a daily bases! What happened to their voice? Come this fall with the reduction of the schedule and perhaps even a bankrupt airline the voices that were so loud last year will once again come into play. What happened to all of us that as soon as we get what's good for us we forget the suffering of others. Unless we learn the hard lessons on what it is to be a union we will forever be at the mercy of outrageous management and piss poor contracts.
Baja

This may be true in your base(PHL), but it still sucks and is loud in CLT. No rsv is happy down here. Nice of the union to help out the Sec lineholders with moving the vacation date up. Now atleast sec BH will know their vac info before they bid. Doesn't do #### for the rsv's though. Thanks AFA.

Reserve pitty party? Nah. Just the way things are. Of course anyone would accept the block but I used to be copied in on emails flying back and forth and mini newsletters from certain people on ideas to fix it. I see from the list a large majority have got blocks & I no longer get those emails. They can't fly their blocks and continue to help in the efforts to change/better the system? :rolleyes: Call it what ya will but I say that right there is the BULL**** part of the story.
You must be on the wrong email list because I know a LOT of 92-98's that are in CONSTANT communication with MF, etc, about issues affecting reserves, and the fact that, come NOV, we will, all, once again , be sitting around until the following March. You are totally misinformed if you are posting that that chunk of seniority left us reserves high and dry, because it simply ain't true. As I said before, if you had a block for the summer, you would take it, you would fly it, and that's that. Maybe you are not hearing as much because they are out flying... :rolleyes: I am on reserve, I think the system is atrocious, but blaming the 92-98s for ditching us is not accurate whatsoever.

Pity party? Absolutely.

The company is NOT going to change anything that is in the contract to enhance or make the life of the reserve easier. Being a reserve myself we all who had voice in voting are responsible for what we have today. I don't think you'd find a reserve that would be against improvements by any means. How, what and where do we DEMAND these changes?

No, we didn't get what we voted for, as in Pref Bid. What should bother every f/a in this company, is that our union has just set a precedent, by not implementing Pref Bid. Let's say we vote in a new contract. My first question to the JNC would be" If we vote something in, are you going to implement it or just brush it off?" AFA has set a seriously bad precedent by letting pref bid slide. And in the mean time, jerk a ton of rsv's in the process.

Just because a contract is passed doesn't mean that FlightChic voted for it or was even on the property to vote for or against it as your post implies.

To Safety stud:
Zarah is correct! I certainly did not vote for the contract as I was furloughed from 2001-2006. I had moved on with my life and never gave US Airways a second thought. Even if I had been on the property, I would have voted a big fat NO! As far as looking at the bigger picture - I am. I want what is right for everybody, not just myself. Since reserves are treated so poorly, we need to make a stand. If you don't like it (not that you understand what we are going through) then just don't participate and leave those of us alone who do want a change. Just because I want a better reserve system (you know, something that can actually allow us to have a life) doesn't mean I want to piss on the blockholders. I want us all to be treated fairly and to have a system that works for all.

So what if you lost your job. If it is as bad as you say it is, you will be better off! You will have the motivation to go out and do what you really want to and get your dignity back!

Pref. bidding is not what its cracked up to be and I for one don't care if it's ever implemented. It certainly will not help the reserves.

Better quality of life work rules is what I'd go for such as getting rid of the LTO system.
12 days off a month.
75 hr. min guarantee
Replacement f/a split onto trips to get all rigs(VM& Trip rig)
DH at 100% pay & credit
On and off duty at 15:00
Time & a half on holidays
Pay for cleaning the aircraft
Lord, I could go on and on.

The system is horrid and has to change otherwise the reserves are going to revolt.

I hated the on and off at 3 p.m.

I like midnight better.

Why do people like the 3 p.m. better?

Why do people like the 3 p.m. better?

Some people think that this way they have both a chance to have the day for themselves (and can drink up to 3:00 AM) and/or they are less likely to be called out at the end of the day rather then at the beginning of the day. I know West schedulers made it a practice to not use their late reserves unless absolutely necessary to protect the late night banks out of LAS.

Well, for one thing..future starts processing trips at 15:00.

Also, it gives the commuters more flexability getting in and out of base. If you go off call at 15:00, go home. Otherwise you'll sit in a hotel another day wasting what little money you have.

I don't know of many f/a's dancing the night away around here. Most f/a's have husbands/wives/significant others or ,child care issues, dogs, cats, sick parents to take care of, lawns to mow, etc. In other words, a life outside the airport. And you can't do the things that need doing if you're stuck in a hotel until midnight.

Also, I for one don't like getting jerked out of bed at 11:00pm and have my days off taken away.

Just my opinion.

One thing I do like is the midnight to midnight duty. It gives me plenty of time to commute up to base and I can usually get released on my last day if I am not flying. I would think that as a commute the on at 3 off at 3 would be worse. I lived in base when it was the other way but I can only imagine how much trouble it would be not being able to make it to base by 3pm and then stressing out about being called by daily or missing the call from future and getting a no contact. As full as our flights are and as late as they always are, it seems like it would be a nightmare.

Back