CLT-SAC/TUS official

smoot4208

Advanced
Nov 6, 2006
SMF to PHL and CLT are now loaded into the schedule both on west metal service by A320. CLT-TUS starts also and CLT to PDX returns all CLT flights are red-eyes. PDX and TUS are east metal service with A319. I'll let some else display the schedule

CLT-PDX

5:55p 8:45p flt 1519 A319

PDX-CLT

9:45p 6:40a flt 806 A319

CLT-TUS

6:15p 7:23p flt 1873 A319

TUS-CLT

11:30p. 6:12a flt 1872 A319

CLT-SMF

8:20p 10:40p flt 377 A320

SMF-CLT

10:30p 6:10a flt 378 A320

PHL-SMF

6:00p 9:00p flt 375 A320

SMF-PHL

8:30a 4:31p flt 376 A320

You wouldn't think there'd be much of a market for CLT-TUS, other than more connection opportunities for TUS customers. I agree that SNA needs direct flights to the east hubs, but you're dealing with slot issues, plus the very short runway there. SNA-PHL would almost certainly be operated more efficiently w/757 equipment. I know CO operates SNA-EWR NON-stop with 737G equipment, but I'd be curious to know how often that flight is payload restricted.

I'ts always nice to see NEW routes added.......and I could care less WHO flies them (East or West). Even utilizing the better Regional Carriers (PSA, Republic, airWis) to develop a route is beneficial in the end. Why Marketing (that STEALTH department hidden in the bowels of the Rio Salado fortress) doesn't use those 190s to open more cities like ABQ/OKC/OMA etc is beyond me. There are too many cities that are accessible from only one hub and need service. (Using the 170/190 on PHL-DFW or PHL-IAH is ridiculous. PHL is a major INT"L Gateway and can justify larger equipment. The additions of AUS/SAT/TUS/SMF are great to see but there are many other locations that need a closer look, both East and West. (AND NO MORE VEGAS, please).

Hopefully this trend will continue-SNA would be something that would make money with international connections.

I would hope for the same thing. But every time Tempe has considered this route, they have determined that it would be weight restricted significantly since they want to use an Airbus (SNA's runway is only 5700 ft). The 757 could make it with no restrictions, which brings me to my next point. If we fly a 757 from SNA-PHX, we sure as hell can fly one from SNA-PHL/CLT.

SNA is a high yielding market, and the thing that corporate forgets is that they could make up for the weight restriction by higher fares since non-stop transcons to the east coast are rare.

I am really surprised that TUS got an east hub before SNA!!! Seems crazy to me but we will see how that route performs.

BTW, back in the day HP did run a non-stop 757 daily between SNA-JFK when they had a much larger operation out of SNA. In addition, HP operated SNA-SMF/SFO/SEA/RNO, giving most of that traffic to WN when they came in. Great management decisions. Nothing like giving away slots for the sake of not competing.

I've mentioned this before and I don't mean to be repetitive:

Talking to an agent in SNA, when the old U briefly flew SNA-PHL non-stop, they mentioned that they were lobbying for a 75 because they could fill it up, and they would be able to attract more international customers.

I agree that the premium on tickets would be more than LAX/SAN.

Give up one PHX slot. I think the airport would love it.

Give up one PHX slot. I think the airport would love it.

Or how about a LAS slot, since those flights, especially the ones later in the day perform like crap. Just check the ETC to see what I'm talking about. If its not a Friday or Sunday, those flights aren't making money.

By the way the slots are allocated by aircraft type due to the stringent noise constraints around the airport. The 757/319 and 737-700 fall under the same slot category which is the quietest among the group. The older 737s and A320 as well as the RJ are under the second noisiest group, and then the MD-80 is in the class of its own :).

The reason the RJ is among the noisiest groups is that its climb performance of the short runway is terrible. The 757 can pass the strict noise restrictions because of its quick climb performance off the short runway followed by its abrupt pullback in power after takeoff. Anyone who has flown out of SNA on that beast knows what I am talking about. It is truly an experience.

CLT-PDX

5:55p 8:45p flt 1519 A319

PDX-CLT

9:45p 6:40a flt 806 A319

CLT-TUS

6:15p 7:23p flt 1873 A319

TUS-CLT

11:30p. 6:12a flt 1872 A319

CLT-SMF

8:20p 10:40p flt 377 A320

SMF-CLT

10:30p 6:10a flt 378 A320

PHL-SMF

6:00p 9:00p flt 375 A320

SMF-PHL

8:30a 4:31p flt 376 A320
SMF was one of the 9 cities closed by Stephen Wolfe in 1997 when he was pushing his "if the pilots don't sign campaign" I'm glad to see we are reinstating transcon service

Taking off out of SNA on the 757 was awesome. Before US pulled out of SNA we did operate the 757 in and out of there for a bit. It was like taking off of an aircraft carrier. Flying "D" at the 2L door looking at the faces of some folks when they'd cut back on the power after take off. :shock: I'd laugh every time. :lol:

SMF was one of the 9 cities closed by Stephen Wolfe in 1997 when he was pushing his "if the pilots don't sign campaign" I'm glad to see we are reinstating transcon service

No it wasn't. Any transcon service that did ever exist out of SMF was discontinued long before 1997. SAT, AUS, ABQ, DAB, and MLB were discontinued in 9/97, but US (Express) has since returned to three of them.

SMF seemed to be a flight to the east to massage the powers that be in CA(like non-stop Birmingham to LGA) to support the PSA deal.

I may be mistaken but it did not last long.

Back