Clusterf*ck'd Day to be flying!

It is a simple fact that the commuting for some is almost impossible and while they know it STILL don't make better plans to get to work. ALL of those flights in PHL yesterday and last night that were open on option 44 were due to f/a's that couldn't commute in. We all know it. As a reserve I have NO CHOICE but to be in base and answer the f'n phone.

sky high states: You always make this a blockholder versus Reserve issue. So, Reserves never call in sick for holidays or weather issues? Superbowl Sunday? Kid's birthday? When you had passing rights, didnt many of you pass for a trip that you knew you wouldnt get. Or buddy bid into the dead zone, so you wouldnt have to fly? Hmmmmm. How many reserves play the game too? Hear of any reserves commuting home early? And, how many flight attendants come to work SICK, hack all over the galley, in your face, so they can save their sick days for commuting?
This ISNT a blockholder issue, its a MORAL ISSUE. Everyone has choices, and YOU apparently take the high road and show up for work when they NEED you. Others choose to gamble and they lose occasionally.

only stating opinions

The fact that other airlines are affected by weather is besides the point. Usairways can't handle passengers on a good day let alone a bad weather day. The agents basically have NO resources and a computer system that won't accomodate. This airline blames weather on everything. We operated in weather before this merger. Wacko rant aside. Med check? MMMMMK. Some don't test so well. :lol:
Very true. I totally understand what YOU are referring to in Management's Inability to Grasp ANY Concept of Customer Service. (I have spoken with many Westies about this and they will be quite candid and tell You that Tempe NEVER was known for really having ANY type of GOOD Customer Service "RECOVERY" Programs and we shouldn't expect anything from them in this arena). I will NOT make excuses for these clowns anymore........I help the pax in anyway I can but I also encourage them to contact the DOT when situations are warranted. ACTING LIKE IT ISN'T HAPPENING is only FOOLING Yourself! :down:

sky high states: You always make this a blockholder versus Reserve issue. So, Reserves never call in sick for holidays or weather issues? Superbowl Sunday? Kid's birthday? When you had passing rights, didnt many of you pass for a trip that you knew you wouldnt get. Or buddy bid into the dead zone, so you wouldnt have to fly? Hmmmmm. How many reserves play the game too? Hear of any reserves commuting home early? And, how many flight attendants come to work SICK, hack all over the galley, in your face, so they can save their sick days for commuting?
This ISNT a blockholder issue, its a MORAL ISSUE. Everyone has choices, and YOU apparently take the high road and show up for work when they NEED you. Others choose to gamble and they lose occasionally.
only stating opinions
Well thats all fine and good BUT the issue still remains that as the current system operates MANY, MANY, MANY blockholders don't allow themselves enough time to commute in for their trips which in turn causes a reserve to have to cover for them most times as a quick call or pretty close to it. Two wrongs don't make a right and a reserve slipping under the radar going home when they are #100+ to be called for a 1 day or something leaving early has NOTHING to do with what I stated above. Thursday was a VERY good example of what I was talking about. When a reserve calls in sick as you mentioned does it affect a BLOCKHOLDERS schedule or upcomming day off? I didn't think so sweet cheeks. So nice try. I don't want to make it out to be a blockholder vs. reserve issue as a blockholder is doing what they are contractually allowed to do. With that being said many areas of the flight attendant schedule needs fixed. My trip last week though had two blockholders delay our flight almost 40 minutes due to them commuting in on Southwest from PIT. I'm sorry we couldn't board and it was total Bull$h!t. Enough said.

Here's my thing. You show up for work. It's your job. If you don't, you get in trouble. Doesn't matter where you live.

The company doesn't seem to discipline unable to commutes, but likes to chase around reserves to see if they are in base. Make up your mind- care or don't. Reserves should have a longer call-out time anyway. Scheduling and the company shouldn't care where you are. If you are rsv and get a trip, why should they care if I descend upon the crew room in a hot air balloon at check-in time. We are all adults (by far- mostly middle-aged). You are responsible for being there when needed, you can make judgements and decisions on whether or not you should be close by. If you aren't there for a trip, then you should be held accountable like you would be at any other job, regardless of line holding status.

I completely understand why people commute especially at this company. I personally have been a commuter at stages in my fiasco of a career at US Airways, but always short term for various reasons (displaced and about to get furloughed anyway, base was closing, base was not open yet, division was closing and reduced to one base, recalled but still had a lease, couldn't afford to move three times in a year due to company's whims and fancies, whatever...)

It blew. It made the job and the life one miserable experience rather than two seperate things. You may as well always be at work, between commuting home and checking flights and worrying. It particularly sucked on reserve, it wasn't quite as bad when I was a blockholder but bad all the same. I personally would never do it long term. I don't begrudge commuters but I do feel sorry for them. I always felt that alot of real life was missed while I was trying to make my way between two half-lives. There is alot to be said for finishing work, getting in your car, and going home.

No airline has been as mobile as far as it's hubs and focus cities as US Airways- new mgmt every couple of years shifts focus from here to there, one side of the country to the other, opening and closing entire hubs and thier crew bases... unlike the other carriers that pretty much have thier traditional fortresses. Finally, no airline has been butchered like US Airways- essentially cut in half, massively outsourced, resulting in a senior workforce with junior lots in life, displaced from thier bases or put on reserve late into thier career. If the new mgmt understands this, they sure don't have any 'think out of the box' solutions such as new bases, statelite bases, major buyouts, whatever. They are going with the classic hopefully they'll quit stance.

Well thats all fine and good BUT the issue still remains that as the current system operates MANY, MANY, MANY blockholders don't allow themselves enough time to commute in for their trips which in turn causes a reserve to have to cover for them most times as a quick call or pretty close to it.

sky high states: Contractually, you are allowed FOUR sick calls, right???? Get it changed, Travelpro. There's too many sick calls, which in turn, causes the company to use their reserves as quick calls. Dont most of the majors allow, THREE sick calls per year? UA, AA, NW???
Or, are you saying the company has no disciplinary action against those who commute and miss their trips? Huh?

only stating opinions

sky high states: Contractually, you are allowed FOUR sick calls, right???? Get it changed, Travelpro. There's too many sick calls, which in turn, causes the company to use their reserves as quick calls. Dont most of the majors allow, THREE sick calls per year? UA, AA, NW???
Or, are you saying the company has no disciplinary action against those who commute and miss their trips? Huh?
only stating opinions
Or, how about changing two personal days to one? We should be able to handle our personal problems better!

Why restrict only Sat. and Suns? Restrict them all.

I'm just reading this now, but I flew out of CLT on that day and I can agree, what a mess! I was fortunate that my 749pm flight to MEM on a Mesa CR9 left about 10 minutes late. Again, very fortunate!

I worked for US for quite a few years, mostly in PHL, but also in DEN, BOS, and RIC in the 90's. It is so sad to see how much of a MESS this airline is. I still keep in touch with my friends taking the daily abuse at the gates & counter in PHL and just feel so awful for them. Things weren't the greatest for us in the 90s with Wolf & Co, the crashes, etc..., but it's nothing like it is now. Living in CLT, now gone from US, I still fly US frequently, but anymore I try to avoid US when possible.