CO backs out of merger, UA/US deal still on?

I hate to say it but the unions will never allow any leader to ever be liked or admired at US Airways. No one, no matter how good, can fix this company because that would mean somebody in management did something right. Even Bethune would soon be burned at the stake if he took over US or any combination of US and tried to make it successful.

Nothing and nobody will ever satisfy certain unions because if management were liked then unions would lose their purpose for existing. They only care about their own existence as a whole, increasing membership and making money. Unions have to make sure it will always be "us against them". Their prosperity depends on it at the expense of ours.

Take for example that the minute things start to look up, groups of employees try to sabatage the good news by spreading negativity. Heaven forbid that morale go up because that would mean something is working.

I always try to remain positive but it really seems impossible for anyone to fix this company as long as unions really don't want them fixed.

That is why unions, along with bad management, will help destroy US from the inside out. No decent business manager will ever come to our rescue by jumping into such shark infested waters. It's a no-win scenario. But then again, even if it could be won there would be no thank yous from this employee group.

But then again, I hope I'm wrong.

Yep the same unions that gave concessions in 1992, 2002, 2003 and 2005.

Yep those unions sure want to kill US Airways.

***Note: Sarcasm used in this post***

I hate to say it but the unions will never allow any leader to ever be liked or admired at US Airways. No one, no matter how good, can fix this company because that would mean somebody in management did something right. Even Bethune would soon be burned at the stake if he took over US or any combination of US and tried to make it successful.

Nothing and nobody will ever satisfy certain unions because if management were liked then unions would lose their purpose for existing. They only care about their own existence as a whole, increasing membership and making money. Unions have to make sure it will always be "us against them". Their prosperity depends on it at the expense of ours.

Take for example that the minute things start to look up, groups of employees try to sabatage the good news by spreading negativity. Heaven forbid that morale go up because that would mean something is working.

I always try to remain positive but it really seems impossible for anyone to fix this company as long as unions really don't want them fixed.

That is why unions, along with bad management, will help destroy US from the inside out. No decent business manager will ever come to our rescue by jumping into such shark infested waters. It's a no-win scenario. But then again, even if it could be won there would be no thank yous from this employee group.

But then again, I hope I'm wrong.

Your post is absurd....

Look, I told you people back on April 7th on this forum that United was going to buy US AIRWAYS, Parker was going to be the CEO of the combined company and that it would be announced the 3rd week of May. I even acted to change my personal investments over this information.
Am I a prophet? No. But I heard it from "TOP PRIMARY SOURCES" before all this Continental talk and Delta/NW talk. I personally believe the Continental stuff was a manufacturization of the media as United was NEVER in serious talks with them.

Secondly, the reason why they are holding back on the announcement until May is because of the critical tentative agreements it reached with two IAM units, whose votes will be May 8th.

At any rate, this merger is the metaphorical equivalence of two drunks holding eachother up.

regards,
Tim Nelson
Did my eyes deceive me? :shock: Admitting to hearing from "TOP PRIMARY SOURCES" and admittedly acting upon said information with personal investment changes as a result - all in one paragraph on a public forum? :shock: Reminiscent of Martha Stewart and ImClone? :unsure: Yikes...Manufacturization is a manufactured word! ;)

Bingo...except I think LGA will be more than a focus city....probably more of a BIG focus city like LAX/SFO just without TA flying....too much money, and done right LGA will give the same access to NYC that CO in EWR would have given. I think they just might sacrifice DCA in favor of LGA. BOS might even get beefed up too. CLT will rival ORD/ATL with the new runway and international terminal being built. DCA slots will be just enough for hub and shuttle flying. The rest will be forfeited. PHL and IAD are still a puzzler.

Yeah I was back in forth on PHL .... so much O/D there though, it ends up looking like a hub anyway. The flight schedule should be set up like a HUGE focus city without a lot of connecting banks.

IAD is a no brainer for me ..... it was created by United in a desperate attempt to rival BWI(US), RDU(AA), ATL(DL) and CLT(US) years ago. CLT will get all the North - South traffic.

TwiceBaked,

I support this. Let's face it folks, somewhere there are US and United officers, directors and managers sitting in conference rooms keeping their thoughts on the numbers and the goals and having to abandon their nationalistic pride about THEIR airline. There is no room for posturing in this industry at this point, it is all about financial survival and the ability to compete with the DAL/NWA and the upcoming megamerger of AA/BA/CO.

The cost pressures are the same for every airline so the only way to differentiate ourselves is the attitude that we present to the customers about who we are and what progress we intend to make.

I will always love my first airline, they are like first loves...over romaticized because of excitment of it being a first and great fun to sit with my coworkers drinking very good wine or very cold beer and trade anecdotes about when we were (or thought we were) the best of the best and would be together forever.

Here is my stance. I accept my DOH as if it is a lighted sign on my forehead and respect any Flight Attendant who has more time. I understood that when I entered this industry and as painful as it is at times, it works for me as I was raised to respect experience and yes, even age. I also think that youth and enthusiasm should be mixed in for a balanced and open minded crew complement.

I will put the United uniform and wings on with great pride, it is a great name with world wide recognition and deserves the kind of comeback that Continental had made. I hope to contribute to it.

I vow to be curious, not critical when I am face to face with changes that fly in the face of what I am "used to". They may not be comfortable but I probably need some discomfort to keep me sharp and forward thinking.

I will, under all circumstances, adhere to the airline professional code of conduct as if the pages themselves were wadded up and jammed down my throat (or any another part of my anatomy) when it comes to how I treat my new coworkers or personnel from any airline. The reason that I was drawn to aviation was because airline people were held to higher standards and I miss that environment.

If all of this seems lofty or unrealisitc remember what Continental was and what it is today. It can be done.

And I say all of this with the unfortunate reality that if there are furloughs, it is very possible that I will be furloughed.

But in the mean time, may this new development bring out the very best in us all.
Awsome post sharon! Your post describe's exactly my feelings as well. Having grown up in a airline family i knew what i was getting my self into when i came of age to start flying 20 years ago. Having gone through lot's of changes over the year's, one thing is certain in this industry, and in life...there will be change..you go with it and embrace it and grow or fight it and get left behind and end up bitter. When i was 8 years old, my grand father retired from Dela Airline's. They sold the only home i knew with them and as we we're pulling out of the drive way for a new town and home i stood up to look back and with a firm hand he sat me back down and sai " Don't ever look back". We both had tear's in our eye's but that has stayed with me my whole life and has given me my own tools in life to deal with constant change. I think it was one of the greatest thing's he did for me. I may not like what I"M adapting to, but i do none the less and am a better person for it! :up: :up:

I hope they can put it together quickly ...... we already code share and work together.
For the record in my location the US and UA employees get along great, very friendly with one another.

Don't forget, we are all US citizens first (labor), just trying to make a living in a totally screwed up industry.

Time will tell ......

I don't know if you were around then or not, but the last time these two carriers looked at hooking up back in 2000/2001, the hostility directed at us from the UA side was positively astounding. On the numerous occasions that I had passing contact in airport terminals and hotel vans with United crews during that period, it was not pleasant. Not once....ever. Once, while walking through the terminal, a group of UA FA's watched us walk by with sneers on their faces and laughed, and just as we got past them, one of them said loudly enough to make sure we heard, "Nobody wants you. Go away!"

WOW...this is ringing a big LOUD bell!!!

Anybody watching the stock on this deal? LCC +15.0% UAL-3.0% as of today. Looks like Wall Street thinks LCC is the driver.

Looks like Wall Street thinks LCC is the driver.
Actually, it probably means that Wall Street thinks that US will be the acquired and UA the acquirer - US stockholders will get a premium while UA stockholders will either see stock dilution (if an equity swap) or increased debt (reduced value/share if cash purchase).

It also probably means that Wall Street doesn't see a UA/US merger as accretive - i.e. 1+1 does not equal >2 but may in fact equal <2. Otherwise, both companies stock would be up.

Jim

Did my eyes deceive me? :shock: Admitting to hearing from "TOP PRIMARY SOURCES" and admittedly acting upon said information with personal investment changes as a result - all in one paragraph on a public forum? :shock:
Don’t worry; his broker has Power Of Attorney, and acted solely on his own.

8djvyqjdf4t6.jpg

My thoughts on this whole thing:

1. Merger announcement by the end of next week, if not this week.

2. The merged company will try like hell to get Bethune as CEO; he'll pretty much be able to name his price and terms. If Plan A is a no-go, Lakewood would fill the spot. It's best to have someone unconnected to either company stearing the ship going forward.

3. It is very possible, in my view, that UAL will head back into Ch. 11 and do a rocket docket, like Siegel did with round one, essentially pre-packaging the proceedings. I doubt that they will ask for any rounds of wage and benefit cuts this time.

3. Hubs will be, in order of size, ORD, CLT, PHL, IAD, DEN, SFO

4. Focus cities will be LAX, PHX, LAS, DCA, LGA, BOS

5. A significant number of E-190s will be added to the mainline fleet to give us a cost-effective way to compete in markets where LCC and LUV go head-to-head. This will give us a significant cost advantage.

6. The combined company will apply to reassign some, if not all, of the DCA slot exemptions to SFO and LAX using B757's or A321's on all of the exempted flights.

7. Continue integrating Airbus into the fleet plan, especially if Airbus continues to throw money our way; The combined airline will apply for an A/C change in the Philly-Shanghai service to switch to 777. Mainline fleet would eventually transition itself into having B747, B777, A320 family, 330/350 family, and E190. If we are able to grab Bethune, my Airbus position may change since Bethune is partial to Boeing.

8. European gateways will be PHL and ORD. South American gateways will be ORD and CLT. Asian gateways will be SFO, LAX, PHL, ORD. All hubs will have direct service to LHR and FRA to allow connections into BMI's and Lufthanza' systems.

9. USA320Pilot will take credit for this whole plan and say all along that he was right. 767jets will suffer a massive brain hemmorage and implode.

DCAflyer

PLEASE reverse the low cost carrier path we are on! ! ! I don't give a fat rats @$$ who acquires who just get rid of this fake LCC model we try to pull off here at US. :rolleyes:

Who is lakewood?

And Lakefield has no airline experience except the few months he was at the helm of US.

Who is lakewood?

And Lakefield has no airline experience except the few months he was at the helm of US.

I know it's Lakefield. I dont' know why my fingers typed Lakewood. I also know that he has little airline experience, but he was heavilly involved in the merger of US/AWA and has extensive business experience, and knows all of the key players. I continue to believe he will probably play a very active role in this merger.