Crown Jewel?

THE JEWEL is a hazard. You folks work safe and be careful. Try to not get hurt. Watch your swipes (or should we say...wanna be time clock)

The one thing that management refuses to acknowledge is that the "Crown Jewel" in the US Airways system is not PHL, or any other city. It is you, the dedicated employees--who despite all that has happened still give 110% or more.

I have written to Dave to try and point out that the only reason I stay is due to the employees--the best in the industry. Hopefully one day he''ll see that. If he keeps cutting service, though, who knows?

In the meantime I remain loyal. As long as I can get where I need to go in a US seat, so it shall be.

Keep up the great work folks, most of us US1''s really appreciate you.

Bob....Lets go over the situation in CLT...I don''t care if you give me 60 extra employees, it''s still NOT going to remedy the situation. The main problem is the flight schedule and TSA. You can''t expect Customs to clear 7 to 9 Island flights within a 1 hour period. The bags that come in MUST be scanned, it''s the "new" rule...It''s done in a very antiquated fashion in the bagroom. We can''t put those bags on UNTIL TSA has scanned them. So more people around the belt is a waste of money

Think of this...You are pre-cleared by Customs in FPO and you are connecting in CLT, NOW I must scan your bag after you have already flown into the USA..? It wasn''t scanned in FPO..Now...who made this rule...? TSA is the problem here guys

The company MUST recognize this fact and move some flights to another bank, giving us the time to scan the bags and get them on the plane.

----------------
On 5/27/2003 5:21:39 PM oldiebutgoody wrote:

Piney,
Efficiencies which are often permitted under the labor contracts are OFTEN not taken advantage of by management. It really does seem rather ridiculous that they seem to prefer to make stuff up, whether it violates contracts or not, than take advantage of efficiencies already allowed them. Take duty rigs, for example. They are there to ensure that the flight crew is used efficiently, not left sitting around with nothing to do for no pay. Even with this incentive, the company continues to schedule long airport sits, long overnights, etc. SWA has them as well, they just schedule much more efficiently so that they don't pay this sort of penalty. The pilots allowed all the efficiencies for a SWA type operation. Maybe you remember Metrojet. It was VERY popular with customers, and even the crews appreciated the more efficient trips and cost structure. It even appealed to management in that it allowed the pilots to basically work as much as they wanted to, up to 288 hours in 3 months (FAA max, since only 1000 hours per year can be flown). Trips were basically "hard time" with very minimal rig pay due to the MUCH more efficient use of crews. Rather than even entertain the notion of expanding it to more of the mainline operation, management just pulled the plug and parked the airplanes. I know a lot of folks here on the pilot list that to this day resent Metrojet being on the property, but faced with that sort of operation or flying an RJ, I think I know which they would choose. Piney, just let me emphasize that I know of very few employees at U that are here for any sort of "free ride", all they want is fair treatment, fair wages, and a decent lifestyle. BY the way, my solution to your example about 100 unionized workers would be to: realize that there is a cost to doing business, and our business model in the NE is more expensive than most; then, I would line fewer executive pockets in order to maintain the operation profitably, while NOT comparing my operation to anyone elses, especially not marketing models as different as those of SWA and JBLU. I hope you can understand that unions would NOT exist if fairness was a concept embraced throughout the business world.

----------------​

Oldie,

I want the type of "wheaties" that you eat in the morning for brain power. Wow, so well said. I am going to print and keep your thread. Your words are the words that "fuel my fire" because that is the very essence of union and unionism, which has become the "essence" of by being.

Thank you.

Bob,

Nucor's labor makes on an average of $75,000 per year I read in the papers. Why they have no layoffs simply put is because they have a business model that can address the cycles of the economy. They have programs like reduced work weeks and such when time are tough. Their employees are all on board with their management as their is a shared respect and a "shared" responsibility in keeping their company solvent, as it should be. I read about them some time ago and was so impressed with the way they are able to do business and make money. Some years for them are not as profitable; but none the less profitable. In plain words, if they make $1.5Billion one year and the next they make only $1Billion, they don't change their business model and philosophy and react. They maintain their proactive business plan.

If you have a management team, as we do here at U, that looks to preserve and promote management jobs, and looks to cut costs by reducing the rank and file in order to turn a profit, you have an inequality and a lack of shared vision on who is responsible for keeping the co solvent. That is where employee morale and spirit and trust begins to deteriorate.

Whose fault is it that specifically U can't make a profit? Can you blame it on labor costs again? How about management costs? there is a ton of them. How about having a management team who can take their focus off the employee costs and focus on revenue building and simplifying the fare structures, and providing a service to the traveling public, stress free, that allows for the customer to go from point "A" of the process, to "z" with ease.

Mangement states you need to PAY your management well to retain good people, as they will go elsewhere, but to the "rank and file" they say, you should be grateful you have a job, where else can you go? I heard this quite frequentely in negotiations and even presently from mangement. I bet these Harvard/Yale/Brown/MIT grads missed their classes in Industrial Psychology, cause they lack the necessary ingriedents and "balance" that will be necessary to make a company go from surviving to good to great.

This Mangement WILL turn a profit; come hell or high water. But watch the "smoke and mirrors".

Example: Ponder this, If I tell my lender that I promise that I will make my huge mortgage payment at the end of the week no matter what and that I promise to do whatever it takes to show you that you can trust my word....and then the night before I go and rob my neighbor's house and make my payment...did I keep my word to make my morgage payment? Was that the "right and honorable" way to go about getting it? Kept my word though....

Oldie,

I agree with you 100%. If corporations begin to behave and adopts U labor relations plan, these companies will cease to exist. Unionism and Labor exist and continually pursue livable wages and benefits to keep the worker off of the gov. welfare "merry go round". UNIONS CREATE A BALANCE IN our ECONOMY. Otherwise, you would need a bigger welfare system. What we make we put back into the economy and spend and it makes the world go round.

Many folks on this board don't quite understand the full scope of what we are pursuing....the purpose, the premise, the goal, and the outcome results to the "bottom line" in our economy. And I am not talking specifically airline unions, but unions in general. Main point is that more legislation needs to be written and implemented that protects the American worker....all the way even when corporations go abroad to make a product and then bring it in the US to sell. These products should be discouraged by levying higher taxes when they are sent in back to the states for sell. If you take a good look at our ailing economy and the reasons for the sustained slump, it is because the present administation has not addressed job creation. They have acutually forstered Corporation "downsizing". I say, if Corporations want any hand outs from the tax payer or any tax relief, it comes with a price, and that is that corporations need to maintain a certain amount of employees at a coporation to get some tax relief, and if they show a steady stream of hiring and growth, that will entitle them to even more tax relief and tax advantages.

God Blesses Unions, God blesses America!

Art,

It is always a pleasure to hear from you. And the reason why we give 110% is because of the appreciation we do receive from the US1, US2 and US loyals. Thanks for the kind words. Maybe someday we might understand the motives of our current management team. In the meantime, we work for you and people like you, the only ones who really appreciate our efforts.

----------------
On 5/27/2003 5:21:39 PM oldiebutgoody wrote:

Piney,
Efficiencies which are often permitted under the labor contracts are OFTEN not taken advantage of by management. It really does seem rather ridiculous that they seem to prefer to make stuff up, whether it violates contracts or not, than take advantage of efficiencies already allowed them. Take duty rigs, for example. They are there to ensure that the flight crew is used efficiently, not left sitting around with nothing to do for no pay. Even with this incentive, the company continues to schedule long airport sits, long overnights, etc. SWA has them as well, they just schedule much more efficiently so that they don''t pay this sort of penalty. The pilots allowed all the efficiencies for a SWA type operation. Maybe you remember Metrojet. It was VERY popular with customers, and even the crews appreciated the more efficient trips and cost structure. It even appealed to management in that it allowed the pilots to basically work as much as they wanted to, up to 288 hours in 3 months (FAA max, since only 1000 hours per year can be flown). Trips were basically "hard time" with very minimal rig pay due to the MUCH more efficient use of crews. Rather than even entertain the notion of expanding it to more of the mainline operation, management just pulled the plug and parked the airplanes. I know a lot of folks here on the pilot list that to this day resent Metrojet being on the property, but faced with that sort of operation or flying an RJ, I think I know which they would choose. Piney, just let me emphasize that I know of very few employees at U that are here for any sort of "free ride", all they want is fair treatment, fair wages, and a decent lifestyle. BY the way, my solution to your example about 100 unionized workers would be to: realize that there is a cost to doing business, and our business model in the NE is more expensive than most; then, I would line fewer executive pockets in order to maintain the operation profitably, while NOT comparing my operation to anyone elses, especially not marketing models as different as those of SWA and JBLU. I hope you can understand that unions would NOT exist if fairness was a concept embraced throughout the business world.

----------------​
AMEN OLDIE....THE MAJORITY ARE HARD WORKING PEOPLE WITH A WORK ETHIC OF OUR FATHERS, DO YOUR JOB AND YOU WILL BE REWARDED. HAS THIS mgt EVER LIFTED ANYTHING HEAVIER THAN A PENCIL OR CONSIDER THE TROUBLES OF LIFE THAT THEIR MAID,NANNY OR DADDY COULDN''T SOLVE FOR THEM? I SEE THE STRESS EVERYDAY ON MY CO-WORKERS, THE DEMORALIZATION OF ADULTS TRYING TO DO THEIR JOBS TO PROVIDE FOR THEIR FAMILIES. THERE IS ALOT OF BLAME TO GO AROUND BUT WE NEED A LEADER. I HAVE A QUESTION FOR ALL OF YOU. DOES ANYONE GO TO WORK KNOWING THEY ARE APPRECIATED OR WANTED? DO YOU HAVE FEAR OF LOSING YOUR JOB OVER SOMETHING YOU HAD NO CONTROL OVER? I KNOW THE AIM IS TO SAVE THE COMPANY BUT WHERE DOES IT ALL END? IS IT FUTILE? ARE WE JUST SPINNING OUR WHEELS FOR SOMEONE ELSES LIMO OR CAN WE GET OUR RESPECT BACK? BTW...THAT POSTER "DO IT FOR DAVE" MUST BE SCARED OF LOSING THEIR CUSHY DO NOTHING JOB...CAN''T THINK OF ANY OTHER REASON FOR SUCH A SELFISH POST.

----------------
On 6/26/2003 7:21:47 PM nycbusdriver wrote:

----------------
On 5/27/2003 10:16:05 AM Seatacus wrote:

I heard that baggage delivery charges were between $1500 and $2000 per day. It seems that this is way more than the salary of several agents that may help the problem.

----------------​

The average delivery charge for delayed luggage is $60.

1500 bags/day misconnect.

That sounds more like $90,000/day in delivery charges to me.

Or $2,700,000 per month.

Or $32,400,000 per year.

----------------​
that is just the delivery price....it does not include any interim expenses..

if half those bags are for people who are away from home...add about $100.00 per pax.

----------------
On 5/27/2003 10:16:05 AM Seatacus wrote:

I heard that baggage delivery charges were between $1500 and $2000 per day. It seems that this is way more than the salary of several agents that may help the problem.

----------------​

The average delivery charge for delayed luggage is $60.

1500 bags/day misconnect.

That sounds more like $90,000/day in delivery charges to me.

Or $2,700,000 per month.

Or $32,400,000 per year.

Latest posts