East Airbus Reconfiguration

You know what. I say we make some noise and try to stop this. Anybody have suggestions?

I say we try to be better professionals in the roles that we choose to fill...Flight Attendant and Pilot. Let’s focus on taking care of our customers and doing the job the company wants us to do...the way they tell us to do it, and allow the people who make the decisions to change paint, seats, videos...the opportunity to do the things they need to do to make us competitive in this industry.

Maybe there is more to this than we know and someday it will all make some sense. :shock:

I say we try to be better professionals in the roles that we choose to fill...Flight Attendant and Pilot. Let’s focus on taking care of our customers and doing the job the company wants us to do...the way they tell us to do it, and allow the people who make the decisions to change paint, seats, videos...the opportunity to do the things they need to do to make us competitive in this industry.

Maybe there is more to this than we know and someday it will all make some sense. :shock:

Yes, but no matter how good the service we provide, the customer will not remember that smile when they can't feel their legs after 6 hours.

The 319 will be the same as the west 319, 12F 112Y. There was a CBS message reviewing the Flight Attendant Alert bulletin, and on the second page of this message it said the alert bulletin should list the passenger capacity of the 319 at 12 first class and 112 coach seats with a total of 124. The capacity change will be updated in the next revision.

The 319 will be the same as the west 319, 12F 112Y. There was a CBS message reviewing the Flight Attendant Alert bulletin, and on the second page of this message it said the alert bulletin should list the passenger capacity of the 319 at 12 first class and 112 coach seats with a total of 124. The capacity change will be updated in the next revision.

That sounds more like it - so the seat pitch in Y should be 32in, right?

So in the event of an emergency (God forbid) when we are to say "Grab ankles, heads down stay down", the passenger is to do this how? I took HP on a redeye from LAS to PIT when it still was running and I honestly had the hardest time getting my bag out from under the seat due to the space. While I feel bad for the passenger, if it brings in more revenue and it's the ONLY way our new management knows how then so be it. I don't want them asking me for a damn penny. They are obviously going after the leisure traveller who basically knows no better. People may protest and not give us repeat business but in the big scheme of things the planes will continue to be full regardless. There are millions and millions of folks out there that need and want to travel. Complain as they may they will keep on comming. Now for our loyal passengers I feel bad. This is no way to keep them. Can't blame some for jumping ship and moving on to other carriers that are making money and don't have to resort to making the experience as cheap as possible.

The company and the FAA changed the weight restrictions due to being discriminatory.

As long as the FA can fit throught the wing exit, they are legal to fly.

Your comments are rude.
In the WEST we have to pass the jumpseat test before we are authorized to go to Recurrent training. A supervisor witnesses you sitting in and buckling up in a 757 jumpseat that is rigged on a stand at the inflight office in PHX. The 757 is usually the most difficult to fit in.

But the 737 has it's challenges as well. If you have to share the JS with a person of size, you might find your self sitting on one cheek. There have been complaints and that's how the JS test came about.

VERY well said LCC. There is NOTHING in the manual that I an find that says the fwd lights MUST be on on a redeye flight. Those lights are horrible anyway. Those lights on in the galley are just as much a pain in the A$$ as when the window lights are kept on. Nobody likes lights shining in their eyes when they are tired.
WEST policyis that the mesh curtain cannot be used if the lights in the galley are inop or switched off. So if you want coach cabin people to stay out and you have the curtain drawn, a light must be on so that the door can be seen from the back.

Just got a message on this my last trip. Apparently, the West aircraft "dings" twice with each push of the button while the East only "dings" once. East a/c will be modified to the West system (supposedly cheaper to change the East planes even though there are more of them). The "bell signals" for the F/A's will be somewhat different once the modifications start - obviously it'll be impossible to give the "1 bell" or "3 bell" signals that we use now. If I read it right, we'll go to a system of 2, 4, or 6 bell signals (which I presume is already used on the West side).

Jim
Question for you: Do all A/C in the east fleet have single ding chimes, or is it just the Airbus fleet?

In the West, Boeing and Airbus both have the hi/lo door bell ring for the interphone. A single low tone is a sign being switched on or off; a single high tone is a pax/lav call button. If you're tone deaf, you never no what is going on :blink:

I just saw a similar bulletin and I'm not sure what it meant by 4 and 6 bell signals. WEST does not have that. I think it may be a difference in definitions. What probably sounds like 6 bells would be called 3 bells because we count each "ding/dong" as a single bell

Question for you: Do all A/C in the east fleet have single ding chimes, or is it just the Airbus fleet?

From the memo I presume so, but I've only flown the Boeings. When I've ridden on the other types, I hear our standard call bell "signals" - 1 "ding" to call the F/A, 2 at 10,000, 3 for cleared to land, etc.

What probably sounds like 6 bells would be called 3 bells because we count each "ding/dong" as a single bell

Each time we push the button, there's a single "ding" - at least now. I guess we'll be switching to West signals as the modification is done - the memo just said that there'd be two bells with each push of the button, the planes would be placarded when the mod was done, and to include it in the F/A brief when on a modified plane. Since it didn't describe any new signals, what you describe makes sense - "ding/dong" equals one bell, "ding/dong, ding/dong" = 2, etc (instead of our current "ding" = 1, "ding/ding" = 2, etc).

Jim

On my redeye Thursday night PHX-PHL, right after takeoff the FA came to each customer in F, introduced herself by name, and asked if there was anything she could get us--that was a very nice touch.

After she was sure all were served, they kept the galley lights on, but hung a blanket or something on the top part to block the light from the cabin--you could still see into and out of the galley, but it made the light minimally intrusive to those wishing to sleep--which included me for a change. I thought it was very considerate--and very inventive on the FA's part--accomplishes what is required for safety and still considers customer comfort.

The fact that I was actually able to sleep on an airplane just makes me think I am getting too old for redeyes, but that is another subject entirely :)

My best to you all.....

Back