East Airbus Reconfiguration

Ya know what US.... many will say that your are a complainer and to take your business elswhere. Well guess what everyone, MANY ARE. This is the kind of BS the "New" company has been pulling with our most valued and frequent passengers. THIS is how you reward your US1's that have stuck with us through the thick and thicker? It's no wonder they are trying to cater to the Ma and Pa kettles of the world because they sure don't know how to treat loyals. I would leave too.

Unless I'm missing something, it seems that US' reconfigured 319/320s will be in line with other legacy carriers. UAs 319s and 320s are configured for 8F/112Y and 12F/126Y, repsectively, while NWs 319s and 320s are 16F/108Y and 16F/132Y respectively. Both UA and NW have more rows of first, so their coach class should be even more crammed than what US' will be.

Unless I'm missing something, it seems that US' reconfigured 319/320s will be in line with other legacy carriers. UAs 319s and 320s are configured for 20F/112Y and 20F/126Y, repsectively, while NWs 319s and 320s are 16F/108Y and 16F/132Y respectively. Both UA and NW have more rows of first, so their coach class should be even more crammed than what US' will be.

UA 319s have 8 First seats and 320s have 12, I believe.

WHAT?!?! Precious UA only has 8 f/c seats? Where's the outrage FF's? Oh, I forgot you get so much more for the price. Seems to me an apology is in the making considering ALL i seem to hear is how HORRIBLE US Airways is for basically configuring the same as the so called legacies. I'm sure there will be some intellectual reasoning or some "blame the customer" remark or some "you are what's wrong with US Airways" remark. Just grown accustom to it. <_<

Yes, you are right. I miscounted UAs seats - the 319s are 8F/112Y and the 320s are 16F/126F.

However, NW does not have closets on their 319/320 and UA does not have any on their 319s. Looking at SeatGuru.com, it seems that most airlines with the 737 and 320 do not have closets, excpets for AAs 738 and UAs 320, so I don't really see what everyone is so upset about.

Yes, you are right. I miscounted UAs seats - the 319s are 8F/112Y and the 320s are 16F/126F.
UA 319's don't have 112Y - they have 72Y. They also have 40E+, with almost as much pitch as current US F/C (35" vs 37")

UA's 320 don have 126Y - they have 90Y & 36E+, with E+ having a 36" pitch.

Jim

Jim makes a very good point. E+ is a really good product. When you ride in E+ you think, wow, this is how coach should be--who would need first class?!?

And, LCC#1, I do not think downsizing the cabin is a bad thing if the product in F is worthwhile AND you have a smaller cabin on routes that don't have a high demand for FC. For example, UA uses the 319 on PHL-SFO and PHL-LAX. Those flights do not have nearly as many elite pax on them as US's flights on the same routes for obvious reasons. I have purchased a FC ticket on UA on those routes with little notice which is almost impossible on US because the cabin is filled with mileage upgrades. From my experience, UA doesn't "give away" first class seats like US--heck, even their elites have to earn or pay for upgrades unless they are on a high cost ticket--that makes sense to me. That has been one of my complaints about US...they have devalued FC--although, try getting an upgrade on a transcon on US even as a US1--very very very difficult to do--that's why I buy the A fare or YUP when I do a transcon.

I also said before that now that they are adding more PHX and LAS flights from East Coast destinations, downsizing the cabin on the 321 may not be a bad idea since less elites will need to connect through CLT and PHL and can go through LAS or PHX instead. I am not outraged by the downsizing of the FC cabin on the 321....HOWEVER, their FC product is still hanging from the rim of the toilet seat...it's not floating in the toilet anymore, but it's pretty darn close.

Jim makes a very good point. E+ is a really good product. When you ride in E+ you think, wow, this is how coach should be--who would need first class?!?

And, LCC#1, I do not think downsizing the cabin is a bad thing if the product in F is worthwhile AND you have a smaller cabin on routes that don't have a high demand for FC. For example, UA uses the 319 on PHL-SFO and PHL-LAX. Those flights do not have nearly as many elite pax on them as US's flights on the same routes for obvious reasons. I have purchased a FC ticket on UA on those routes with little notice which is almost impossible on US because the cabin is filled with mileage upgrades. From my experience, UA doesn't "give away" first class seats like US--heck, even their elites have to earn or pay for upgrades unless they are on a high cost ticket--that makes sense to me. That has been one of my complaints about US...they have devalued FC--although, try getting an upgrade on a transcon on US even as a US1--very very very difficult to do--that's why I buy the A fare or YUP when I do a transcon.

I also said before that now that they are adding more PHX and LAS flights from East Coast destinations, downsizing the cabin on the 321 may not be a bad idea since less elites will need to connect through CLT and PHL and can go through LAS or PHX instead. I am not outraged by the downsizing of the FC cabin on the 321....HOWEVER, their FC product is still hanging from the rim of the toilet seat...it's not floating in the toilet anymore, but it's pretty darn close.

Well you ARE the voice of reason. ;) Any FF's on the 7 am sfo to clt flight?

LCC 1,

Sorry I am on West metal this week.

Also for what it's worth, there is SOME logic to what US1YFare says, but the goal should also be to be competitive with other carriers. Most of UA's transcons are on 757's and while the PS service is nice it is unique, and yes, superior to any other transcon product at the moment. UA's basic 757, however has 24F, and all the other carriers to my knowledge have F forward of the number 2 door on 757's (even DL is adding F to former Song birds).

If the 321 is moved to north south and trunk routes for which I believe it is better suited than transcons,I would have little issue with reducing the F cabin to 16. The 8 F seat 757, however is inadequate and non competitive in a transcon market. While US wants to be an LCC, they are not one, and their fares are often higher than competitors while offering a substandard product by comparison.

Let me say also that were it not for you and your colleagues, I would have not stayed loyal through all the tribulations of the last 6 years, and my $30+K per year in air fares would have gone elsewhere.

There has to be a balance....the key will be finding it. I expect good things in the near future, and thank you for keeping my colleagues and me around long enough to see them.

My best to you all....

LCC 1,

Sorry I am on West metal this week.

Also for what it's worth, there is SOME logic to what US1YFare says, but the goal should also be to be competitive with other carriers. Most of UA's transcons are on 757's and while the PS service is nice it is unique, and yes, superior to any other transcon product at the moment. UA's basic 757, however has 24F, and all the other carriers to my knowledge have F forward of the number 2 door on 757's (even DL is adding F to former Song birds).

If the 321 is moved to north south and trunk routes for which I believe it is better suited than transcons,I would have little issue with reducing the F cabin to 16. The 8 F seat 757, however is inadequate and non competitive in a transcon market. While US wants to be an LCC, they are not one, and their fares are often higher than competitors while offering a substandard product by comparison.

Let me say also that were it not for you and your colleagues, I would have not stayed loyal through all the tribulations of the last 6 years, and my $30+K per year in air fares would have gone elsewhere.

There has to be a balance....the key will be finding it. I expect good things in the near future, and thank you for keeping my colleagues and me around long enough to see them.

My best to you all....

Thanks Art,, I too am optimistic.. Now if management could just improve their implementation skills. THANKS for your continued support.

Thanks Art,, I too am optimistic.. Now if management could just improve their implementation skills. THANKS for your continued support.

Art, we have to make this clear....LCC does not mean Low Cost Carrier to the consumer, it simply means " Low Cost Carrier", an airline that operates with lower costs. While the company would like to offer the lowest fare, this is not always going to be the case...some fares are higher than others..seat availablity and market will drive those prices.

WHAT?!?! Precious UA only has 8 f/c seats? Where's the outrage FF's? Oh, I forgot you get so much more for the price. Seems to me an apology is in the making considering ALL i seem to hear is how HORRIBLE US Airways is for basically configuring the same as the so called legacies. I'm sure there will be some intellectual reasoning or some "blame the customer" remark or some "you are what's wrong with US Airways" remark. Just grown accustom to it. <_<

When US gets E+, we can talk.

Art, we have to make this clear....LCC does not mean Low Cost Carrier to the consumer, it simply means " Low Cost Carrier", an airline that operates with lower costs.
Perhaps all those signs saying "World's Largest Low Fare Carrier" are confusing the customers.....

Jim

Latest posts