East Airbus Reconfiguration

usabfa

Aug 31, 2006
Well, it is official. Beginning Sep. 8, the 320 and 319 fleet will be reconfigured.

A319- new config will keep the same number of f/c seats and add 10 more seats in coach. Will be doing it by making seat pitch smaller. Will keep all existing closets and galleys.

A321- Reduce f/c seats by 4. Add 12 more coach seats. They will be taking out the G2 forward galley and the valet closet.

I am very curious what they will be doing with f/c jackets on the 321. I know the West does not have closets but they also don't fly to near the amount of cold winter destinations that the East. What will our business pax, US1's do with their suit coats and topcoats? I don't think they will be happy folding them up and sticking them in the overhead.

So all the rest of the East a/c will have closets except the 320. So coats will be hung on the other a/c and not the 320. Great for a consistent product.

Your thoughts?

Well, it is official. Beginning Sep. 8, the 320 and 319 fleet will be reconfigured.

A319- new config will keep the same number of f/c seats and add 10 more seats in coach. Will be doing it by making seat pitch smaller. Will keep all existing closets and galleys.

I thought that they were only adding 4 seats to the A319 so that it would be 12F/112Y (like US-West), have they sinced changed it?

A321- Reduce f/c seats by 4. Add 12 more coach seats. They will be taking out the G2 forward galley and the valet closet.

I am very curious what they will be doing with f/c jackets on the 321. I know the West does not have closets but they also don't fly to near the amount of cold winter destinations that the East. What will our business pax, US1's do with their suit coats and topcoats? I don't think they will be happy folding them up and sticking them in the overhead.

So all the rest of the East a/c will have closets except the 320. So coats will be hung on the other a/c and not the 320. Great for a consistent product.

Your thoughts?

So how much is the seat pitch reduced? And will it be a uniform seat pitch throughout the coach cabin. In otherwords, does everyone suffer or just a lucky few?

What is the G2 forward galley?

So how much is the seat pitch reduced? And will it be a uniform seat pitch throughout the coach cabin. In otherwords, does everyone suffer or just a lucky few?

What is the G2 forward galley?

the galley that is the behind the f/c bulkhead at 1 d, f

I thought that they were only adding 4 seats to the A319 so that it would be 12F/112Y (like US-West), have they sinced changed it?

new config is 12 f/c , 118 y for a total of 130 pax

In addition, the call signals will also be changing on the East to match the West cabin call signals

Your thoughts?

I believe that coats are hung on the hooks on the bulkhead behind the last row of First on AW...the closets on east a/c just get full of the crap that utility and the F/A's stuff in there. If we can add more seats and make more $$$, that’s fine with me I say bring it on!

Although I don’t like the way the coats will look on the wall, not to mention if they interfere with the first class seat recline…I am all for more revenue. :up:

Something else to consider is the unions (AFA, ALPA, IAM) should be keeping a running total of what these perceived changes are costing to implement (labor and materials).

In case they fail, and the company comes asking for more money from the employees, we can take the cost of the bad management decisions out of the equation. Many of the U-East people will remember:

MetroJet :down: (failed)
Where’s Seth marketing, and GO! Fares, :down: remember the big yellow bus? (Failed)
Purchase and production of the video background music in 2002 :down:
Business Select :down: :down: (failed)

You know I used to fly enough just for fun, friends and family to be silver preferred on U. I did so, because I liked it and U treated me well.

But since 2003, I've been travelling MUCH less, to the point of not seeing family as much as I'd like. The reason isn't money. It's discomfort and frustration.

Flying and travelling is a pain in the rear! I guess that LCC will find more money to extract from the travel market by cramming them in and torturing their customers. But they've already lost me.

This isn't a threat it's an observation of the truth.

I have to admit that I think the old U OVER rewarded me for my travel. That caused me to over spend on U for awhile. But no more.

Yes, I understand that I don't count in LCC's market efforts.. I always seem to love the products that are discontinued!!!!

An economy plus product would be fine by me. I just can't STAND to go to IAD to travel.

Seriously TEN MORE SEATS in 319 coach!? WOW.

I believe that coats are hung on the hooks on the bulkhead behind the last row of First on AW...the closets on east a/c just get full of the crap that utility and the F/A's stuff in there. If we can add more seats and make more $$$, that’s fine with me I say bring it on!

Although I don’t like the way the coats will look on the wall, not to mention if they interfere with the first class seat recline…I am all for more revenue. :up:

At AA, when they got rid of the closet at the back of F/C on the S80 so they could add 2 more F/C seats, the multi-hanger on the F/C aft bulkhead was the solution. It works well enough, but yes it does interfere with the recline of the F/C seats in the last row. (That, or the person(s) in row 6 force their seatback into the recline position which mashes the coats so badly they might as well have been thrown in the o/h bin. :lol: )

Something else to consider is the unions (AFA, ALPA, IAM) should be keeping a running total of what these perceived changes are costing to implement (labor and materials).

In case they fail, and the company comes asking for more money from the employees, we can take the cost of the bad management decisions out of the equation. Many of the U-East people will remember:

MetroJet :down: (failed)
Where’s Seth marketing, and GO! Fares, :down: remember the big yellow bus? (Failed)
Purchase and production of the video background music in 2002 :down:
Business Select :down: :down: (failed)

Hey Andy......CRAP? The F/A's use the forward closet to stow their luggage so as not to take overhead storage away from the passenger. Oh wait?! The TSA is reducing the amount of luggage we can carry on so the crew can now use the overhead space instead. And utility would use the forward closet to store extra supplies of the water bottles and beverages. What's wrong with that? It's a CLOSET.....they are used for such things.

More revenue will be generated? HHMMM. Decrease seat pitch and make the entire cabin a sardine can. That will drive your customers to UA even faster. US's entire cabin including FC will now be tighter than a virgin. And I can't pack AstroGlide to squeeze in my seat.

I think the additional seats are the Sandcastles excuse for not adding additional planes on certain routes. More frequency increases revenue not additional seats.

And what was wrong with the former TRANSFORMATION music? Have you even bothered to call the public reservation # and get put on hold lately? I like the new "theme song" but after 25 mintues of holding I was going to scream if I had to hear that tune again. Atleast TRANSFORMATION had a lengthy version and wasn't repeatative to the point of nausea.

F/A bags are fine, Int'l paperwork that never gets back to the greeting agent/loose headphones/extra magazines/trash bags/ thats what I am talking about. I also dont have an issue with the music its the 2.5 Million it cost that we paid for with our cuts in pay.

Ok, am I missing something here? If the seat rows are three and three how do we come up with 10? It's 6 for a row or 12 for two. Where is the missing seat in coach? Do they have a missing seat in their overwing exit rows?

You know I used to fly enough just for fun, friends and family to be silver preferred on U. I did so, because I liked it and U treated me well.

But since 2003, I've been travelling MUCH less, to the point of not seeing family as much as I'd like. The reason isn't money. It's discomfort and frustration.

Seriously TEN MORE SEATS in 319 coach!? WOW.

Exactly

Looks like they take a nice cabin with comfortable legroom and turn it into a 737-300. Damn seats so close together I can't read a magazine in the back.

This sucks.

A320 Driver :down:

Ok, am I missing something here? If the seat rows are three and three how do we come up with 10? It's 6 for a row or 12 for two. Where is the missing seat in coach? Do they have a missing seat in their overwing exit rows?

They add in two more rows (12 seats). Some of the pitch for these additional rows comes from making the exit row standard reduced pitch. Then because of regulations regarding floor space around the exit, they remove the window seat in each exit row (like the West A319s). The net of it is.... you replace an exit row with good legroom with a couple of seat pairs that don't recline and reduced legroom, then give the window seat in the row behind them a ton of legroom.

I've flown West A319s and didn't care for them in either cabin. Probably didn't help that I was in First on a redeye and two F/As sat in the forward jumpseat and talked loudly the entire flight with all the galley overhead lights on. We all got to sit there with light in our faces. Then a guy across the aisle from me asks them if they could keep it down, and the two 20-something F/As gave him a smart ass answer about how it is their duty station so they must sit there to talk.

West A319 has 124 seats not 130 and there is no missing seat at exit row, A320 has 150