F/A Baggage: Limitless ?

Barfbag

Veteran
Oct 30, 2006
Most recently I observed an F/A with three carry-ons, these carry-ons were all strapped together, and the person pulling them could barely get them inside the aircraft, much less into the overhead without my assistance. As part of a cleaning crew I try to take some pride in my work. While covering F/C pillows, with nice crisp white covers only to have that same person, just place their dirty wheel-bags on these newly cased pillows.

When confronted, the F/A offered the usual, " I'm trying to stay of your way, the cabin in F/C is only so big".

In contrast, other OAL's we service, seem to place limits on F/A carry-ons. The OAL F/A board and stow their luggage and proceed to do their safety checks. They carry one carry-on and one tote bag, BTW, the OAL are foreign carriers, ( as is in leaving the country) this AA F/A was domestic to LAX.

This is a daily occurrence, Does anybody care about service to our passengers anymore?

Most recently I observed an F/A with three carry-ons, these carry-ons were all strapped together, and the person pulling them could barely get them inside the aircraft, much less into the overhead without my assistance. As part of a cleaning crew I try to take some pride in my work. While covering F/C pillows, with nice crisp white covers only to have that same person, just place their dirty wheel-bags on these newly cased pillows.

When confronted, the F/A offered the usual, " I'm trying to stay of your way, the cabin in F/C is only so big".

In contrast, other OAL's we service, seem to place limits on F/A carry-ons. The OAL F/A board and stow their luggage and proceed to do their safety checks. They carry one carry-on and one tote bag, BTW, the OAL are foreign carriers, ( as is in leaving the country) this AA F/A was domestic to LAX.

This is a daily occurrence, Does anybody care about service to our passengers anymore?

There is no real limit. Most of us carry on 2-3 bags. Some carry more. It's kind of hard to pare down your stuff when your work items take up a large majority of space. We have a large manual, flashight/s, paperwork(more if you're the purser), galley equipment (gloves, tape, sharpies), a large roll of restraint tape to tie up out of control passengers, a laerdal mask to use for CPR, inflight flat shoes, and a uniform sweater. All of that crud takes up one bag alone. Then the other carryon has books, magazines, kiddie wings, extra pens to use when you loan yours and don't get it back, newspapers, my computer, my purse, my own blanket to use on my break or to warm my legs when I'm working all night and sitting right in front of the chillers that blow regrigerated air right up your skirt for hours on end. Then, let's not forget, we also have to carry our own food and water because AA doesn't feed us and we get fired if we take anything off the plane that we didn't bring on.

I can understand that someone putting their dirty roller bag on the clean pillowcase you just put on makes you mad. That's just plaiin stupid on the FAs part because she/he is going to be the one to get grief about it from passengers. It's also inconsiderate when we know you guys are going to have to run the new one down when you just put one on.

As long as we're going to complain about each other's work groups let's just talk about how the agents and AA expect the FA's to get on that plane, put our stuff away, check our equipment, do opening inventory on audio visual items, put out personal electronic devices in business class, check the demo, and prepare our galleys and predeparture drinks....in 5 seconds.... and you guys give us a lot of territorial BS about being in your way while we're traying to accomplish the most basic of tasks to start the whole process.

And WHICH of you genius's decided that lav supplies and cups and glasses was no longer your job? We're not really thrilled (FA's) about getting on the plane to accomplish all of our own tasks and having to restock cups and glasses AND lavs (using the supplies you left in garbage bags on our galley counters) on top of our duties WHILE you guys make us stay off the airplane even though you are 3/4 done straightening it?

And just to clarify about OAL FA's. They carry 2 carry ons and ONE HUGE bag is checked in the belly. WE don't have that luxury. Apparently, YOU'VE never seen OAL FA's rolling their caravans into and out of the airport or hotel.

I'm sure very few take advantage of it, but don't AA crew have the option of a checked bag? Last time I came thru ORD, I remember seeing uniformed FA getting their bags in Customs, and seem to remember there being a crew bag check-in procedure when I was an agent 20 years ago...

I'm sure very few take advantage of it, but don't AA crew have the option of a checked bag? Last time I came thru ORD, I remember seeing uniformed FA getting their bags in Customs, and seem to remember there being a crew bag check-in procedure when I was an agent 20 years ago...

No. I don't believe that is an option. Even if it were an option, nobody would wait for us to get it when they all want to go to the hotel and most places we don't exit through baggage claim. Ditto for nobody waiting for you in the U.S. either.

On the way home from a different country it may be possible to check a bag in some of our stations where we clear security by the gates, but not really sure why you would unless you had a banned object in your case like a knife or a gun.

The crew you see in ORD collecting their baggage from customs are coming in from LHR. London follows the quart size baggie regs for crewmembers as well as passengers. If they screen you and you have large items they check your bag and the crew bus driver drops it off at the cargo bay. They allegedly have priority tags on them but the tags are a joke because the crew bags are invariably the last ones out on the carousel when you get in.

Add to all this that when we are boarding that flight with our 3 or 4 bags, we may have had to pack for sitting 6days on reserve, not knowing whether we are going to someplace tropical or frigid.
Yes the INTL carriers check in their large bags and their carriers offer them the courtesy of retrieving their bags first! Plus they are fed on their flights!
It seems to me that someone who is placing pillowcases on a pillow should be placing them on a seat and not in an overhead bin, as we all know only INTl flights and IFS get pillows nowadays. Why would you be placing them in an overhead unless you wern't doing your job?

Leaving LHR if you have over 3oz of liquid you must check the bag containing the liquid.

Add to all this that when we are boarding that flight with our 3 or 4 bags, we may have had to pack for sitting 6days on reserve, not knowing whether we are going to someplace tropical or frigid.
Yes the INTL carriers check in their large bags and their carriers offer them the courtesy of retrieving their bags first! Plus they are fed on their flights!
It seems to me that someone who is placing pillowcases on a pillow should be placing them on a seat and not in an overhead bin, as we all know only INTl flights and IFS get pillows nowadays. Why would you be placing them in an overhead unless you wern't doing your job?

He's talking about the crewmembers who put their bags on top of the clean pillows on the seats. Before you put your bag in the overhead sometimes you put it on the seat to open it to get things out first or if someone is passing through the aisle you have to move it in to let them pass. A lot of FA's don't move the pillow and blanket before doing this and rest their dirty wheels on the clean pillows and get crud on them. I see it all the time.

He's talking about the crewmembers who put their bags on top of the clean pillows on the seats. Before you put your bag in the overhead sometimes you put it on the seat to open it to get things out first or if someone is passing through the aisle you have to move it in to let them pass. A lot of FA's don't move the pillow and blanket before doing this and rest their dirty wheels on the clean pillows and get crud on them. I see it all the time.
honestly as a fa you know what i see. pax who all put their luggage on top of the pillows and blankets and then ask us as fa's for a pillow and blanket..... but then again i guess if you are not there durning the boarding you would not know that more pax get the pillowcases dirty than fa's. just a thought :)

Sorry to inform you Barfbag, but you've waded into a crowded alligator swamp wearing a pair of hamburger shorts.

Perhaps you can post a few responses from cleaners, (US Stations), who clean/security inspect 35 rows of an aircraft with a cellphone glued to their ear. While you're at it, ask them what they'd say if an Airline Captain politely asks them to turn off the phone and concentrate on their duties. :rolleyes:

honestly as a fa you know what i see. pax who all put their luggage on top of the pillows and blankets and then ask us as fa's for a pillow and blanket..... but then again i guess if you are not there durning the boarding you would not know that more pax get the pillowcases dirty than fa's. just a thought :)
I really have never seen a flight attendant do that, I am not saying there aren't some that do.
I just think barfbags got some big cojones coming on here and complaining about us. Don't get me started on the crappy job most of our cleaners perform. I am embarrassed to board passengers the majority of the time. Last week, two of us went seat to seat on a 76 to EZE (business class) cleaning all the crap that was left behind! Heaven forbid we call them back to clean it correctly, we would be charged with a delay!

Back