FFOCUS Responds to Tempe --Q4 SOTA FAQ-Question

Art at ISP

Veteran
Aug 20, 2002
Dix Hills NY
www.ffocus.org
Friends,

During the Q4 State of the Airline Q & A, an employee brought up FFOCUS and asked about our organization. The person commented that our home page seemed to bash US, and that many of our posts were negative in nature. Management's response to the question was not entirely accurate.

Below is the note we just sent to US Management in response to their comments at the FAQ....

Dear US Airways Management,

FFOCUS is in receipt of a transcript of the Q4 State of the Airline Report, Frequently Asked Questions document. We are concerned about the facts as misrepresented in the following statement:

"FFOCUS (Frequent Flyers Organized and Committed to US Airways Success), their web site seems to be more of a Smear Campaign than actually a commitment to the success of the NEW US Airways. Just reviewing many of the FFOCUS posters on US Aviation from home. Is this group for real, have we met with them to address their concerns, or are they just unhappy with the past and wanting it all back, more First class, Glassware etc.etc..

FFOCUS is a group that we have met with regularly. They've given us some good suggestions and we do pay attention to what they say. Sometimes, their posts are very negative, but they do represent some of our customers."

We sought an ongoing relationship and were led to believe this might come to fruition, but after only two meetings we were pointedly informed that you had no interest in further discussions with FFOCUS as a group; rather, you would deal with members' concerns on an individual basis. At your request, we submitted names of high revenue FFOCUS members who expressed a willingness to have their concerns addressed by your management team, and not one member was individually contacted. Mutual trust and credibility are the cornerstones to any successful relationship. Comments like the one above made either publicly or internally do little to further the goal of a mutually beneficial relationship between US Airways and our group of employees and customers.

FFOCUS remains committed to the principle that employees should be a company's first priority, followed closely by customers. When these constituents are well-served, the shareholders will prosper. Misleading statements about your relationship with FFOCUS, which you terminated, are disingenuous to say the least. However, we stand ready to actually have the regular meetings you said were occurring and to further the mutual goal of US Airways becoming the "Airline of Choice."

The Policy Commitee on Behalf of the 1000 Members of FFOCUS

Oh.....and was the home page a little negative? Yes it was. But was it truthful? Yes it was. We have learned over the years that sometimes the only way to effect change is to point things like this out in a public forum....and if it causes improvement, so be it.

We just wanted to set the record straight folks.......

Well-written response, if I do say so myself! :lol:

Seriously, I am glad that we set the record straight. I hope we can effect change so I can return to fly US someday soon.

Beth

Management's response to the question was not entirely accurate.

"Not entirely accurate" is EXTREMELY generous....

Having read that doc, there are a number of things on it that are anywhere from "a syllable or two of truth" to "writer's embellishment" to outright lies.

I can not EVER remember, as a member of FFOCUS, the good people that occupy the senior management offices in Tempe, giving a rat's behind what I think! LOL

The crazy part is....for the business that I own, in 42 days thus far of 2008, I've purchased and/or flown over $11,000 for myself and my employees.....

3 years ago, there would have been ABSOLUTELY ZERO question, I would have booked EVERY trip I could on US. I rarely, if ever strayed. Thus far, this year, for me personally, I've flown only one trip that was "not possible" on US and had to be booked on CO. Yet, thus far in 2008, my company has only spent 50.4% of the travel dollar on US....and for me personally, 19.4%. (Take out my trip to BGI and I would have spent less then 9%)

"Airline of Choice?" HARDLY!

Anyway.....I wish the good people in Tempe care the way they portray it to the employee group. And I read this doc and then scratched my head...."no wonder Senator Specter was SEETHING."

Hope it gets better.....

Like the rest of FFOCUS, I want to see this company prioritize it's employees first, customers second and then know and understand the stockholders will be well cared for....just like, oh, the 2 most profitable and best airlines flying? CO & WN???

(By the way, LOVED that statement about WN flying to those booming, high density metropolises, like HRL, or, ELP or OMA....yes sir! Those are SUPER double secret high density!!! Too funny!)

Good luck! You're going to need it....if they wil lie about talking to FFOUCS, imagine what else they lie about!

Now the readers of this board can see exactly who we are dealing with.

The employees on the board already know who you've been dealing with. We've been putting up with the same BS since the Happy Merger party ended. Its been almost a year since computer cutover and the excuses keep flowing. Thats the reason people dont take anything Tempe says seriously until it actually happens.
In regards to this little scenario, I'd love to see a response from someone in Tempe when they are challenged with FACTS. There are so many employees that dont have a clue or just dont care that "a" response is good enough for them. Dont bother trying to think it through for yourself. :blink:

what a well written response to more of the same deceit and propoganda. this management team is an absolute disgrace!!

is there any chance FFOCUS will issue this as a press release?

with all the merger talk in the news, this story, i suspect would segue nicely. a woefully incompetent management team throwing away their most valued customers with blatant dishonesty and abject indifference.

Dear FFocus Group,

I truly apologize on behalf of the Company I work for. Their arrogance and pompious attitudes will bite them in the a## sooner than they could possibly imagine. It all comes around in full circle, may take years but D-DAY will come when they come crawling back to all of you to fly on Usairways once again. Unfortunately, most of you will be premier passengers on other airlines.
The employees at Usairways feel your pain and we know you all feel ours....

DEXTER

art,
I would like to say thank you for taking the time 1. for responding to the ignorance we call upper management . and 2. for
keeping us posted on usaviation.

Van,
Sorry your boys had a rough day a couple of sundays ago. but made for a great game.

This post will be taken the wrong way, but I have to say it. FFocus was a group committed to US Airways as it once was. Once was is the key here. US Airways as FFocus knew it, is gone. If the name changed, it would have been easier to get that, but since the name remains, the thinking hangs in there. US Airways is a different place, run by different people and different styles, maybe not great, but it is, what it is now. This is not to say that those FFocus members don't have great input, I just think that their way of thinking has not been changed, but the airlines way of conducting business has.

This post will be taken the wrong way, but I have to say it. FFocus was a group committed to US Airways as it once was. Once was is the key here. US Airways as FFocus knew it, is gone. If the name changed, it would have been easier to get that, but since the name remains, the thinking hangs in there. US Airways is a different place, run by different people and different styles, maybe not great, but it is, what it is now. This is not to say that those FFocus members don't have great input, I just think that their way of thinking has not been changed, but the airlines way of conducting business has.
Oh now come on, I know that no one is actually that blind that they could say or even think something so asinine! Yes, it is not going to be as it once was... I have news for you UW NO airline is as it once was but they all (except US) still make some attempt to tell the truth or at least act like they are listening to these people. Different place run by different people is exactly right, unfortunately it's a damn trailer park run by a bunch arrogant fools type of different. The majority of the people that work in corporate for this AIRLINE have no idea that it's an AIRLINE. It's ok though, I nor any other hard-working employee really don't even have to bother as they (Tempe) constantly plaster themselves worldwide as the poster children for how NOT to run an airline. You go ahead and make all the excuses you want but it is what it is, AN EXCUSE and the whole industry knows it.

Art, Piney, thank you for posting that and continuing to fight for the employees, it is appreciated!!!

This is not to say that those FFocus members don't have great input, I just think that their way of thinking has not been changed, but the airlines way of conducting business has.
"conducting"? conducting what?
the america west management team that usairways' employees and the majority of customers inherited is as impotent as a skeleton.
this has nothing to do with a philosophical, low cost, business casual difference. this has everything to do with a management team that lacks talent, innovation, and skill.
while swoosh (and all that swoosh represents) may be an improvement to the america west folks, it is an insult to the customers who have invested the most in a once proud and capable airline. that's not cultural, it's reality.

UW,
Yes your right, But maybe our NEW management should have let OUR elite travelers know that . your once competitive

and not so shabby service is being replaced with interns out of business school and we have no desire to give you a reliable product

even though YOU our elite traveler PAYS a PREMIUM for service please take your business elesewhere. WE at the NEW USAIRWAYS

are to worried about our SYNERGIZES ...

You raise a valid point. The "NEW" US Airways is NOT the old US Airways. Over the past 2 years the new US Airways managed to accomplish:
  1. The Reservations Migration Debacle - Nothing more needs to be said as IT issues still plague the new US Airways.
  2. Bottom of the Barrel Customer Satisfaction stats! - Every Major news outlet had horror stories. Zagat rated US Airways LAST.
  3. Delayed bags at record number save for the infamous Christmas Meltdown.
  4. CEO arrested & CONVICTED! 'nuff said on that topic as it goes to character.
  5. Responding to customer issues in a timely manner
  6. International performance at all time low. There was a time during BK where the 'old" US completed 5,000 TATL flights in a row. Under the " new" US we as customers are lucky we see 50 TATL flights completed consecutively.

So UW I wholeheartedly agree that this is most certainly NOT the 'old" US Airways. I've not harped on the amenities like some of my FFOCUS colleagues. In fact I'll go so far as to say that US domestic first is just fine with me and I've shared that with Tempe. What I object to is not delivering on the basic minimums of a modern business.
  1. I do not think it unreasonable to expect that your overhead bin be functional and that your seat and surrounding area be clean and free of boogers, do you?
  2. I do not think it unreasonable to have the web site work right the first time 9 out of ten times, do you?
  3. I do not think it unreasonable to get a respone to an inquiry.
  4. I do not think it unreasonable to expect correspondance with US not e of the cut and paste variety as many have seens

I'm not talking hot towels and glassware UWcactus, I'm talking having your collective head out of your arse and doing what you say you'll do. Old US or New US these are reasonable expectations. Expectations that are not often met under the current regime. For me just on these issues alone the OLD US was a far better. Then to add insult to injury I read this crap from management. Trust and Credibility are dificult to gain and even harder to maintain. US Airways has lost both and that indeed is a sad turn of events as I now encourage friends and colleagues to book away as opposed to driving business toward US. They have embarrassed me in front of friends and colleagues for the very last time.

I'm not going to disagree with you on this. I too am disappointed. I am moving up my retirement will be retiring in 12-18 months. There is much more change coming between now and then.