Fleet/route Rumors

ITRADE

Veteran
Aug 19, 2002
DCA/IAD US2
www.geocities.com
This came from the other FFs over on flyertalk:

I spoke on this mornings flight with a friendly, senior Flight Attendant, who seemed to be well informed of US's situation. So I asked him a few questions and here's what he told me...
Star Alliance - Partnership will commence on April 4th, with a big marketing campaign rolling out on the 1st. Which will include 4 US planes being repainted in *A livery.

New Routes to Mexico - The F/A told me that US has recently filed for 11 new routes into Mexico.

A330 Order - The F/A said if the unions accept the current concessions, then US will be poised to order up to 30 new A330's to enhance existing service and launch new service to *A hubs. He mentioned Copenhagen, Vienna and Helsinki.

So not sure how realistically they could order any new assets, but everything else seemed like reasonably true news.

Thoughts?

Well, if they applied for all those Mexico route authorities, wouldn't we see them in the DOT's docket database?

Does anyone know what aircraft or type will be painted in the Star scheme, or if they have started yet?

ITRADE said:
This came from the other FFs over on flyertalk:

A330 Order - The F/A said if the unions accept the current concessions, then US will be poised to order up to 30 new A330's to enhance existing service and launch new service to *A hubs. He mentioned Copenhagen, Vienna and Helsinki.

So not sure how realistically they could order any new assets, but everything else seemed like reasonably true news.

Thoughts?
[/quote]
...Sure and if the unions don't accept the concessions the A-330's will be flown by MESA pilots........

I seriously doubt it but it would be nice.......is this another carrot????

My best to you all......

Just thought of something: while US has not yet applied for expanded Mexico service, perhaps its on the horizon.

Considering that Mexicana is about to or has already left the Star Alliance, there is a sizeable gap in the service to Mexico.

From CLT, US could probably hit the following cities: CUN (already), CZM (already), MEX (already), PVR, MZT, SJD, GDL, and MTY.

The advantage of these flights is that they're all relatively long in duration (4 - 5 hour flights) and would aid in aircraft utilization. Moreover, most all these markets are highish in average ticket price.

Finally, you get FAs and pilots with overnights in some pretty kewl cities (except Monterrey which is pit).

While PVR, MZT, SJD, GDL, and MTY would be nice, remember that they are on the West coast, and we all know how much trouble they have finding the West Coast cities of the US! B)

Jet Blue is expanding into the Caribbean (Just announced) and will be expanding into Mexico soon. Where are U going to run in the future? It looks as if Jet Blue is going to be the low fare long haul carrier and SWA the low fare short hop carrier. Better get your personal plan "Bs" in order.

US AIRWAYS CHANGES AIRBUS ORDER

7 April 2003 Source: Reuters

Airbus said US Airways, which last month emerged from bankruptcy, will replace an existing order for 19 of its planes with one for 10 Airbus A330-200 aircraft.

The new order - worth $1.43 billion based on list prices - replaces a prior US Airways order for one A330-300 plane, three A319 planes and 15 A320 planes, Airbus said. The prior order was worth $1.22 billion based on list prices. US Airways also has another 13 A321 planes and six A320 planes on firm order, Airbus said. Airbus said deliveries of the 29 aircraft on backlog would start in 2007 and run through 2009.