Flexed Over Benefits

[P]
[BLOCKQUOTE][BR]----------------[BR]On 12/24/2002 9:57:26 AM AV8NSIGO wrote:
[P]KCFlyer,[BR][BR]I'm curious as to what method your employer uses to insure its employees. When I left, AMR self-insured. As such, they have wide latitude in the way their "flex" benefits are offered to the employee groups.[BR]----------------[/P][/BLOCKQUOTE]
[P]AB8NSIGO - I work for a govenment entity. We are insured with Blue Cross. We have 3 options, a basic HMO with 26 hospitals and 608 doctors, and all services must be arranged thru a primary care physician, a more liberal HMO with 32 hospitals and 745 doctors, not all services need to go thru the primary care physician, and a PPO with 49 hospitals and 3,205 doctors. The HMO's have no deductable and a $15 copay, the PPO has a $300 deductable and pays 80/20. All plans have the same prescription coverage. The monthly contribution for a family is $146, $166, and $220. The monthly contribution for each plan from my employer is $598, $606, and $635 respectively. That means that it costs $772 a month to cover my family for medical (dental is a separate plan). [BR][BR]I don't know how much AMR employees pay for their coverage, but it seems to me that RV4 somehow believes that your company is trying to screw the employees. If he were to see what the company contribution is per employee per month, I think his eyes would be opened. Especially when you multipy that amount by the number of employees working at AMR (according to Yahoo's last count, that would be 122,820). Using those numbers, and assuming that AMR was only paying $200 per employee (IMHO that is an unrealistically low number), that comes out to $24,564,000 per month. I guess all I'm saying is that things could be a lot worse for you all. [/P]

[P]
[BLOCKQUOTE][BR]----------------[BR]On 12/24/2002 9:57:26 AM AV8NSIGO wrote:
[P]KCFlyer,[BR][BR]I'm curious as to what method your employer uses to insure its employees. When I left, AMR self-insured. As such, they have wide latitude in the way their "flex" benefits are offered to the employee groups.[BR]----------------[/P][/BLOCKQUOTE]
[P]AB8NSIGO - I work for a govenment entity. We are insured with Blue Cross. We have 3 options, a basic HMO with 26 hospitals and 608 doctors, and all services must be arranged thru a primary care physician, a more liberal HMO with 32 hospitals and 745 doctors, not all services need to go thru the primary care physician, and a PPO with 49 hospitals and 3,205 doctors. The HMO's have no deductable and a $15 copay, the PPO has a $300 deductable and pays 80/20. All plans have the same prescription coverage. The monthly contribution for a family is $146, $166, and $220. The monthly contribution for each plan from my employer is $598, $606, and $635 respectively. That means that it costs $772 a month to cover my family for medical (dental is a separate plan). [BR][BR]I don't know how much AMR employees pay for their coverage, but it seems to me that RV4 somehow believes that your company is trying to screw the employees. If he were to see what the company contribution is per employee per month, I think his eyes would be opened. Especially when you multipy that amount by the number of employees working at AMR (according to Yahoo's last count, that would be 122,820). Using those numbers, and assuming that AMR was only paying $200 per employee (IMHO that is an unrealistically low number), that comes out to $24,564,000 per month. I guess all I'm saying is that things could be a lot worse for you all. [/P]

KCFlyer,

You have one thing wrong...I no longer work for AMR. That came to an end in early 1996.

Since you gave me some numbers, I'll return the courtesy. Please remember, these numbers are almost seven years old. I am certain they are higher now.

In 1996, I paid $75.98 for health and dental care for my wife and I. AA's insurance terms, at the time, required an additional payment for each dependent. I now have two children. Each child would have increased my insurance costs. My current employer, also an airline, charges me $67.22 per month for my entire family. The terms of coverage are nearly identical. I have absolutely no complaint there. In fact, it increases to $92/month, effective tomorrow. I don't like it, but have no complaint considering what others must pay. There was no increase in monthly charges based upon the birth of my children.

I have no doubt the cost for my former co-workers at AMR is higher now than in 1996. Given the quality of AMR's plan options compared to my current plan options, I understand the complaints. I pay less, receive better coverage and have more flexibility in most cases. AMR employees pay more, receive fewer options and the overall quality of the plan is lower. Both plans are administered by United HealthCare.

My carrier is smaller and profitable.

Happy New Year!

KCFlyer,

You have one thing wrong...I no longer work for AMR. That came to an end in early 1996.

Since you gave me some numbers, I'll return the courtesy. Please remember, these numbers are almost seven years old. I am certain they are higher now.

In 1996, I paid $75.98 for health and dental care for my wife and I. AA's insurance terms, at the time, required an additional payment for each dependent. I now have two children. Each child would have increased my insurance costs. My current employer, also an airline, charges me $67.22 per month for my entire family. The terms of coverage are nearly identical. I have absolutely no complaint there. In fact, it increases to $92/month, effective tomorrow. I don't like it, but have no complaint considering what others must pay. There was no increase in monthly charges based upon the birth of my children.

I have no doubt the cost for my former co-workers at AMR is higher now than in 1996. Given the quality of AMR's plan options compared to my current plan options, I understand the complaints. I pay less, receive better coverage and have more flexibility in most cases. AMR employees pay more, receive fewer options and the overall quality of the plan is lower. Both plans are administered by United HealthCare.

My carrier is smaller and profitable.

Happy New Year!

You're aware the managed care plan allows you to go to anyone you want -- you just pay a little more if you go outside of the network. And I can't imagine that Sloan-Kettering and the Mayo Clinic are "outside the network."

You're aware the managed care plan allows you to go to anyone you want -- you just pay a little more if you go outside of the network. And I can't imagine that Sloan-Kettering and the Mayo Clinic are "outside the network."

[blockquote]
----------------
On 12/31/2002 2:01:47 PM AV8NSIGO wrote:

AMR employees pay more, receive fewer options and the overall quality of the plan is lower. Both plans are administered by United HealthCare.

----------------
[/blockquote]

You don't know of the quality of the plan unless you have to use it. I have a daughter with serious health issues, and have found the managed care plan to be a lifesaver for us, both in terms of cost, and in terms of quality. Never have we had a procedure or treatment go uncovered, and I have yet to have a problem with UHC as far as managing the plan goes.

Having looked at other jobs during the past few years, the AMR managed care plan is still miles ahead. I know for a fact SWA's health plan would have cost me far more (in the $1000-$2000 range) in out-of-pocket expenses than AMR's plan, and at the time, would have been about equal in cost to what I was contributing per month.

[blockquote]
----------------
On 12/31/2002 2:01:47 PM AV8NSIGO wrote:

AMR employees pay more, receive fewer options and the overall quality of the plan is lower. Both plans are administered by United HealthCare.

----------------
[/blockquote]

You don't know of the quality of the plan unless you have to use it. I have a daughter with serious health issues, and have found the managed care plan to be a lifesaver for us, both in terms of cost, and in terms of quality. Never have we had a procedure or treatment go uncovered, and I have yet to have a problem with UHC as far as managing the plan goes.

Having looked at other jobs during the past few years, the AMR managed care plan is still miles ahead. I know for a fact SWA's health plan would have cost me far more (in the $1000-$2000 range) in out-of-pocket expenses than AMR's plan, and at the time, would have been about equal in cost to what I was contributing per month.

It cost me $60 out of pocket for Ear drops for my sons ear infection this past week. The bottle looks like its a prop for my daughters doll house. When the companys asks for concessions are they willing to roll back the increases in costs for medical coverage?

It cost me $60 out of pocket for Ear drops for my sons ear infection this past week. The bottle looks like its a prop for my daughters doll house. When the companys asks for concessions are they willing to roll back the increases in costs for medical coverage?

[EM]Time to eat some crow....[BR][/EM][BR]An AA friend of mine from JFK was concerned over the new percentage co-pays for her prescription medications. Since some of the stuff she takes is not available in generics, she was worried it would cost her 75 bucks a month per prescription because the stuff is so expensive. That would have meant over 300 bucks a month for her total where last year it was only about 60 bucks. She tried the mail order prescription program where she can now get a 90 day supply instead of the previous limited 30 day supply, and the cost is 50 bucks. Doing the simple math, she is realizing an overall increase of only 5 bucks per prescription, which really isn't so bad after all.

[EM]Time to eat some crow....[BR][/EM][BR]An AA friend of mine from JFK was concerned over the new percentage co-pays for her prescription medications. Since some of the stuff she takes is not available in generics, she was worried it would cost her 75 bucks a month per prescription because the stuff is so expensive. That would have meant over 300 bucks a month for her total where last year it was only about 60 bucks. She tried the mail order prescription program where she can now get a 90 day supply instead of the previous limited 30 day supply, and the cost is 50 bucks. Doing the simple math, she is realizing an overall increase of only 5 bucks per prescription, which really isn't so bad after all.

WNP
The crow is not cooked be careful.

My family prescriptions and not available in generic and are also not available via the mail order list.

I am glad someone you know is not hurting.

But that does not help everyone.

And one friend's experience is no reason to celebrate with a plate full of uncooked crow.

Bob, I hope your son is doing better now.

I have a friend who quit taking his blood pressure medicine as an act of defiance. Regardless of how foolish this sounds, I hope he doesn't have a stroke or heart attack in my presence or anywhere else for that matter. And I suspect his medical bills and/or life insurance will cost AA much more in the long run.

I also have another friend...

...his wife attempted mail order preseciprtions so they dont break their bank account. She was told that spouses/dependents are NOT allowed mail order prescriptions ONLY the employee.

WNP
The crow is not cooked be careful.

My family prescriptions and not available in generic and are also not available via the mail order list.

I am glad someone you know is not hurting.

But that does not help everyone.

And one friend's experience is no reason to celebrate with a plate full of uncooked crow.

Bob, I hope your son is doing better now.

I have a friend who quit taking his blood pressure medicine as an act of defiance. Regardless of how foolish this sounds, I hope he doesn't have a stroke or heart attack in my presence or anywhere else for that matter. And I suspect his medical bills and/or life insurance will cost AA much more in the long run.

I also have another friend...

...his wife attempted mail order preseciprtions so they dont break their bank account. She was told that spouses/dependents are NOT allowed mail order prescriptions ONLY the employee.

Latest posts