Hp-to Acquire Either 767-200er Or 747-300

airlineguy

Sep 6, 2003
Hearing thru the grape vine that HP has been looking at picking up 767-200er or 747-300
Does anyone know anything about this or has seen anything eles about this???

Here are the odds that that will happen:

Slim (767-200) to none (747-300).

Better check with the grapevine again. 757s are the rumor that's going around.

motnot said:

Don't bet the rent money on this. This was a separate post.

According to this german website, AWA plans on LAX/SFO to Europe routes with 747's...I'll believe it when I see it. Click on the link and check out the newscrawl. There is no story attached that I could find however.

http://www.skyliner-aviation.de/

The crawl says that America West plans Europe service from LAX/SFO! No supporting documentation, but on the "front page" of a respectable website.

Yikes. I have been very impressed with what HP has been doing lately, so it would be a shame to see a repeat of the 747s-to-Japan debacle (or similar).

That said, 767s might not be a terrible idea for the new transcon nonstops, or any other routes that could support extra capacity, but I would think that the -300 would have better seat-mile costs than the -200. And, speaking of -300s, the 757-300, with its dirt-cheap operating costs and commonality with HP's existing fleet, might be an even better way to add capacity. Now that Boeing is talking about shutting down the 757 line, I bet they'd practically pay HP to take some.

This must be a joke. I hope HP focuses on what they are getting right these days and perfecting that, before they move to a trans-atlantic gateway. Lots of progress, but please keep your eye on the ball and on your strengths.

motnot said:

I would agree with this...adding a new type to the fleet is very expensive and the majority of the Europe market is low-yield...this would be a repeat of the HNL/NGO service HP attempted in the 90s that helped run them into bankruptcy.

747 300?

Nobody flys the 300! KLM has a few that are combi, and Sabena had some, but I doubt any passenger airline would start flying such an obscure plane.

Maybe 747 SP's will be added, and we can fly them from Palmdale to Samoa? :lol:

now......another info.........!

HP just purchased or leased new airbus aircrafts......!

however........the have not stated what kind of plane it is......??????

to be deliverd by 2004.........

does anyone know what kind of aircraft....????

if not widebodies with boeing........

do you all think that it could be a widebody with airbus.......A330...???

If my memory serves me correct, AWA use to fly to Japan with 747's? What slots are AWA going to get to fly these routes?

If HP is buying more Airbuses, they're probably just more A319s or A320s. Don't forget all those new transcon nonstops.

I just can't imagine HP flying A330s all of a sudden. That's a whole lotta airplane--a big jump in capacity from the 757--and I don't think there are enough routes that could support it.

As I mentioned previously, the most efficient way to add capacity on existing routes would be the 757-300. Boeing is practically giving them away so they can keep the production line open, and the seat-mile costs are unbeatable.