I should have seen it coming..

It is unfortunate even management employees can't pay their rent when those at the top have no qualms about taking millions of dollars more than they need.

It is not just the front line being treated as expendable commodities instead of human beings.

I feel lost. I am an employee of a company that has posted a rather nice profit for the last year. I started working for the airline in May. Before that, I had an average salary of ~20-35/hour. I took a job that had benefits, travel, and an admired local company (America West) were the items the drew me in. I thought I could work where I was for 3 months, move into another job at work. Well.. it partially happened, I got promoted to International sales 2 months after my hire date. (They usually won't even consider promotion before 90 days.)

<SCREECHING TIRES> Hold it here.. I have a degree, credentials and references. I worked for companies like Intel, Anheuser-Busch and even the MLB.

Sad fact.. I'm now facing the possibility of not having a roof over my head. I can't afford the rising costs of STUDIO apartments in PHOENIX. When I shopped around, I got the CHEAPEST place I could find, $419/mn with utils. Now it's $530/mn with utils. I've lived here 2 years. They won't give me a break and my paycheck each pay period is what.. $450.

I have no idea what to do. I've submitted my resume for part time jobs. I've applied for full time jobs. I've looked at other apartments, they are about $600/mn. I am single. I have two cats. I tried roommates.com, no luck there.

I don't know what to do. Anyone have any suggestions?
Work some OVER TIME it works for me and lot of other union employees that got pay cuts and benefits increase. For the newbees just about all station employees for US east have/had opportunities to work O.T. US east management likes to work short and than cry for help when the shi hits the fan.

Hence me wanting to split the payment in two. What's wrong with paying 1/2 in the beginning and 1/2 at the end? I used to do that with my car payment.
Does you lease agreement say that you can pay in two installments? What if you were the landlord and needed to make a mortgage payment based on your contractual agreement to pay rent, how would you feel? If you sign an agreement, honor it. If you need to find a new job do it. Just pay your bills on time. Its not societies fault nor your landlords fault you are not making your rent payments on time. I am tired of hearing its everyone elses fault but mine. Grow up.

Does you lease agreement say that you can pay in two installments? What if you were the landlord and needed to make a mortgage payment based on your contractual agreement to pay rent, how would you feel? If you sign an agreement, honor it. If you need to find a new job do it. Just pay your bills on time. Its not societies fault nor your landlords fault you are not making your rent payments on time. I am tired of hearing its everyone elses fault but mine. Grow up.
I agree with you PhxMama ..especially reading through the history of these posts ..

I feel lost. I am an employee of a company that has posted a rather nice profit for the last year. I started working for the airline in May. Before that, I had an average salary of ~20-35/hour.

I am about 2 years behind on my payments though..

I respect your opinion. I have done everything I thought was right to try to fix it. I've applied for part time jobs. I've looked for other opportunities. I am hurting, and I just asked people for advice. If you have anything meaningful to suggest, rather than belittle someone you do not know nor know my entire situation, then please.. think what you want to think but don't tell me to "Grow up." Everyone goes through hard times in their lifes, and I am having a hard time. Thank you for your general dont-care attitude. It means a lot to me, whoever you are. I have ALWAYS payed my bills ontime when I have been able to. I guess the big problem started when moving here 2 years ago.

I respect your opinion. I have done everything I thought was right to try to fix it. I've applied for part time jobs. I've looked for other opportunities. I am hurting, and I just asked people for advice. If you have anything meaningful to suggest, rather than belittle someone you do not know nor know my entire situation, then please.. think what you want to think but don't tell me to "Grow up." Everyone goes through hard times in their lifes, and I am having a hard time. Thank you for your general dont-care attitude. It means a lot to me, whoever you are. I have ALWAYS payed my bills ontime when I have been able to. I guess the big problem started when moving here 2 years ago.
I live in this town and know for a fact there are plenty of other opportunities in this town. I have a 15yr old who life guards for 10.50 an hour and have you ever seen how many restaurants have help wanted signs? Theres usually a job fair at the Civic Center every few months and there is even a TV SHOW called jobing.com that has MANY job opportunities. Even US and MESA are represented at the job fairs and I believe there is one coming up in the Glendale Arena. Check the Sunday Republic. My point is that if you really want to change your situation, you will. Two years? I dont think it sounds like you are a little down but that it has become a way of life. You think this is a little harsh? Too bad.

I live in this town and know for a fact there are plenty of other opportunities in this town. I have a 15yr old who life guards for 10.50 an hour and have you ever seen how many restaurants have help wanted signs? Theres usually a job fair at the Civic Center every few months and there is even a TV SHOW called jobing.com that has MANY job opportunities. Even US and MESA are represented at the job fairs and I believe there is one coming up in the Glendale Arena. Check the Sunday Republic. My point is that if you really want to change your situation, you will. Two years? I dont think it sounds like you are a little down but that it has become a way of life. You think this is a little harsh? Too bad.
Okay, maybe I stopped short of applying for Mcdonald's. I've been looking at the part time job listings mainly. I suppose if I wanted to get a job at Mcdonald's or somewhere else I could. I don't want this, struggling, to be a way of life. PhxMama, it's actually coming close to 3 years since I moved here from St. Louis. I actually moved here for "a change" .. I thought it would be for the better. I was living with my parents and working. My dad passed away of cancer, a slow process, in 2003. It really hurt to lose a father. He moved us to St. Louis from Texas in 1997 because he wanted a better life. My mom and him, too, faced situations like what I am in (in texas). They lost a house over it.

I sincerely understand where you're coming from. I am not one who intentionally stayed unemployed or one who enjoys blaming society for my trouble. I am the one who took work at US Airways. I made the decision, in spite of being told I would only make $8.07/hr. That is the lowest paying job I have ever had. I was excited to be able to work and earn a living. Unfortunately, prior to that job, I based moving to this apartment on several factors. One was the job I had gotten with IBM, which paid $16/hr which.. when I had that.. I had no trouble paying rent. One paycheck (weekly paychecks) covered the rent. Now where am I at.. one paycheck will cover what.. 87% of the rent.

People here have given me a lot of suggestions. On a good note, my ex co-worker from IBM now runs an IT department at a law firm. He called me yesterday after I spoke to him back in October.. and he said he was going to talk to his boss about a project he needs help with and getting me there to help.

The number of interviews I have been on is exhaustive. The number of IT jobs I've been hired for only to have either the project scrapped before I start work or in the middle of it is exhaustive. One interview in particular really makes me upset. I went to an interview for a job that I may have been overqualified for. The guy tells me point blank I'm overqualified and that I should be looking for a job that pays 50k/yr. Heck. Now if this was a perfect world with a perfect job for everyone, then I guess that would make life easy. It's not perfect, you have to work to get ahead. I have a strong work ethic, and I just wish you knew that part of me and not the part of me that struggles.

BTW, I don't get the paper.. ;)

I havnt read through every single post..but I did read most. I just have a question. Why dont you find a roomate or move to a place with lower rent. I dont even pay 1000 a month for my morgage..in PHL. That seems a little bit high for rent. You must live beyond your means. I know people that moved out there in March and they dont pay anywhere near that much. Just my 2 cents.

First, let me say I am sorry for the loss of your father as I have also lost mine and the emptiness I feel sometimes is overwhelming. No one not even my wonderful husband loves me like he did. A truly unconditional love. I know because I have the privlige(sp) of loving my own children in the same capacity. I remember he'd take me and my dolls out walking when I was younger in frigid weather because in my 5 yr olds "motherly" opinion, they needed fresh air. Yikes! I have a zillion other stories as I sure we all have of the men who gave us their love and support all their lives. That was the daughter in me but let me move on to the mother in me. It was a bad decision to take a job making so little when you knew you'd be unable to make the rent. If you wanted the travel benefits you might have been able to wait until your lease was up and rent a room or get a roommate. Lots of students in Tempe looking for roommates. Many graduate students who would not be partying all the time. The jobs with US are very low paying and would still have been there after you had made arrangements to decrease your expenses. Now its time to find a new job pronto!! If you can prove to your landlord you would be able to pay the rent with a new job maybe they would try to work something out. The job market in Phoenix has gotten better. Even while on a cruise ship my husband received 3 calls from recruiters. I understand the low pay and am still shocked after all these years that it has not changed knowing the challenges of an airline. Trvl benefits are nice but eating and feeling secure in your home are better. I hope the job with your friend works out and you find a better paying job. Its the same advise I would give my own kids.

I havnt read through every single post..but I did read most. I just have a question. Why dont you find a roomate or move to a place with lower rent. I dont even pay 1000 a month for my morgage..in PHL. That seems a little bit high for rent. You must live beyond your means. I know people that moved out there in March and they dont pay anywhere near that much. Just my 2 cents.
Sorry, that's not what I pay in rent, it's how much I owe. (Whole other story. Mostly fees, attorney costs, etc. Bottom line, paycheck doesn't cover the full amount, and at the time I choose my apartment, it was the cheapest on apartmentguide.com .. $484/mn .. they rose it to $529/mn. My last 80hr paycheck was for $458.)

First, let me say I am sorry for the loss of your father as I have also lost mine and the emptiness I feel sometimes is overwhelming. No one not even my wonderful husband loves me like he did. A truly unconditional love. I know because I have the privlige(sp) of loving my own children in the same capacity. I remember he'd take me and my dolls out walking when I was younger in frigid weather because in my 5 yr olds "motherly" opinion, they needed fresh air. Yikes! I have a zillion other stories as I sure we all have of the men who gave us their love and support all their lives. That was the daughter in me but let me move on to the mother in me. It was a bad decision to take a job making so little when you knew you'd be unable to make the rent. If you wanted the travel benefits you might have been able to wait until your lease was up and rent a room or get a roommate. Lots of students in Tempe looking for roommates. Many graduate students who would not be partying all the time. The jobs with US are very low paying and would still have been there after you had made arrangements to decrease your expenses. Now its time to find a new job pronto!! If you can prove to your landlord you would be able to pay the rent with a new job maybe they would try to work something out. The job market in Phoenix has gotten better. Even while on a cruise ship my husband received 3 calls from recruiters. I understand the low pay and am still shocked after all these years that it has not changed knowing the challenges of an airline. Trvl benefits are nice but eating and feeling secure in your home are better. I hope the job with your friend works out and you find a better paying job. Its the same advise I would give my own kids.
My mother gave a lot of the same afvice you gave me. She told me to "Find any job" just like you did. Up until May I was realy stubborn about it, I wanted an IT job. I wanted to stay in the IT field, as I have always been around computers.. ever since I was 4 and it was the mid-80s. I was programming at age 7. :)

I just.. you know.. even my grandma gave me a talk. She was like you do what you have to do to be able to pay bills. (her point was finding any job to bring money in) so that part has passed.

I was really confused at my mom's reaction after I told her I got a job at a company she hounded me to apply at and told me to "get any job". I thought that I was doing good for landing a job finally, after going to a job fair at MCC and learning about US Airways hiring. I suppose it was both awe and shock. She had always encouraged me to apply for America West since I moved here. I think I did that, but only to IT jobs. HR told me that a good majority of jobs on the board are filled internally. I used that when basing my decision. I had to weigh No income / Low Income .. Employed / Not Employed.. etc. I choose low income / employed over no income.

I am happy for your husband. It seems easier for someone with more years of experience to get a job in IT here than it does for someone with 5 years. All the competition out there at my level.

A friend at work left me a message about her son needing a roommate. I'm a little worried that it's an Aimco property, not to sure but will find out when I call him.

Latest posts