Inflight Promotions OUT OF CONTROL

beachboy

Veteran
Jul 7, 2006
Mike Flores sure called Sheri out but let not forget MF pimped himself out to LA shamelessly...huuum. I am so sick of our job being used by marketing to annoy everyone. I won't do it. :down:

COLD STONE CREAMERY PROMOTION
Accessing The Hub
AFA Local Numbers

Dear Members,

The airplane has become a marketer's dream - a captive audience with uncompensated pitchmen. Welcome to the new US Airways. US Airways, along with one of its corporate partners, Cold Stone Creamery, have decided to use FAA certified Safety Professionals to distribute "$1.00 Off Coupons" for the Phoenix-based ice cream vendor. For those of you on the East who don't know, Cold Stone Creamery is a chain of upscale (and over-priced) ice cream parlors.

I have no issue with the business concerns US Airways chooses to affiliate with. I also recognize in today's competitive industry, partners and relationships are important to the airline.

I have a very large problem with the marketing department's seemingly endless use of what they may think is "free" labor to do their bidding. Our primary job is to be onboard as Safety Professionals. Secondarily, our job is to promote US AIRWAYS by offering the finest in-flight service in the industry. That does not include hawking other Company's goods and services. There are plenty of other creative ways to market our partners' promotions. The Union has suggested several other avenues to accomplish the marketing department's goals. Instead, they have chosen the path of least resistance - prey on the captive audience - and use our Flight Attendants to do their work.

Managing Director of Inflight Services, Sheri Shamblin, has sent the following letter to all Flight Attendants:

Dear Valued Flight Attendant:

We've heard from a few of you, and acknowledge your concerns regarding US Airways InFlight marketing promotions and in particular the Cold Stone Creamery promotion. Keep in mind that these marketing promotions generate revenue for both the company and in many cases, you, the flight attendant. They certainly are not meant to be demeaning or degrading. We have agreed to meeting with your union leadership in the near future to discuss all of the marketing promotions and seek their input and feedback on these programs. However, we have already committed to the holiday promotion in partnership with Cold Stone Creamery, which will launch on November 13th and continue through November 21st.

Your dedication and professionalism are essential to the success of US Airways.
Sincerely,
Sheri Shamblin

This letter has left a bad taste in my mouth - one that even a $1.00 off (our reward for doing this) ice cream cone can not erase. The Union has reluctantly gone along with the BofA credit card program, which put real money into the hands of some of our members and does add revenue to the airline. Duty free sales are a negotiated contractual provision that do the same.

The Union will most definitely be meeting with Company concerning the use of Flight Attendants in any further marketing campaigns. We are tired of it, and more importantly, our passengers are tired of being subjected to ads and sales pitches.

Furthermore I ask that you contact Sherri Shamblin and VP of Flight Operations, ED Bular to express your concerns:

Sherri Shamblin - [email protected]

Ed Bular - [email protected]

Thank you,

Mike Flores, President
US Airways MEC
AFA-CWA

Mike Flores sure called Sheri out but let not forget MF pimped himself out to LA shamelessly...huuum. I am so sick of our job being used by marketing to annoy everyone. I won't do it. :down:

Accessing The Hub
AFA Local Numbers

Dear Members,

The airplane has become a marketer's dream - a captive audience with uncompensated pitchmen. Welcome to the new US Airways. US Airways, along with one of its corporate partners, Cold Stone Creamery, have decided to use FAA certified Safety Professionals to distribute "$1.00 Off Coupons" for the Phoenix-based ice cream vendor. For those of you on the East who don't know, Cold Stone Creamery is a chain of upscale (and over-priced) ice cream parlors.

I have no issue with the business concerns US Airways chooses to affiliate with. I also recognize in today's competitive industry, partners and relationships are important to the airline.

I have a very large problem with the marketing department's seemingly endless use of what they may think is "free" labor to do their bidding. Our primary job is to be onboard as Safety Professionals. Secondarily, our job is to promote US AIRWAYS by offering the finest in-flight service in the industry. That does not include hawking other Company's goods and services. There are plenty of other creative ways to market our partners' promotions. The Union has suggested several other avenues to accomplish the marketing department's goals. Instead, they have chosen the path of least resistance - prey on the captive audience - and use our Flight Attendants to do their work.

Managing Director of Inflight Services, Sheri Shamblin, has sent the following letter to all Flight Attendants:

Dear Valued Flight Attendant:

We've heard from a few of you, and acknowledge your concerns regarding US Airways InFlight marketing promotions and in particular the Cold Stone Creamery promotion. Keep in mind that these marketing promotions generate revenue for both the company and in many cases, you, the flight attendant. They certainly are not meant to be demeaning or degrading. We have agreed to meeting with your union leadership in the near future to discuss all of the marketing promotions and seek their input and feedback on these programs. However, we have already committed to the holiday promotion in partnership with Cold Stone Creamery, which will launch on November 13th and continue through November 21st.

Your dedication and professionalism are essential to the success of US Airways.
Sincerely,
Sheri Shamblin
This letter has left a bad taste in my mouth - one that even a $1.00 off (our reward for doing this) ice cream cone can not erase. The Union has reluctantly gone along with the BofA credit card program, which put real money into the hands of some of our members and does add revenue to the airline. Duty free sales are a negotiated contractual provision that do the same.

The Union will most definitely be meeting with Company concerning the use of Flight Attendants in any further marketing campaigns. We are tired of it, and more importantly, our passengers are tired of being subjected to ads and sales pitches.

Furthermore I ask that you contact Sherri Shamblin and VP of Flight Operations, ED Bular to express your concerns:

Sherri Shamblin - [email protected]

Ed Bular - [email protected]

Thank you,

Mike Flores, President
US Airways MEC
AFA-CWA

Show me some $$$ and I'll gladly give out your coupons (see BofA), but if no $$$, it will be treated like those customer surveys in the 90's -- oops, no time to do that, I've got a suduko to finish.

I realize the flight attendants main job is safety. However, in reality its generate revenue (ie no flight attendants, no paying customers). So if this helps the profit sharing it's probably a good thing.

Show me some $$$ and I'll gladly give out your coupons (see BofA), but if no $$$, it will be treated like those customer surveys in the 90's -- oops, no time to do that, I've got a suduko to finish.
Well, notice that Sheri addressed her letter as follows:

"Dear Valued Flight Attendant:"

That leaves USAirways FA's, both east and west, out.

Sherri:

Remember your culture survey question, "Do you feel valued?"

Do you remember the results of that question?

Enjoy your ice cream.

Heres a suggestion, use the kiosk when they check in to give them a "promotion coupon" or whatever they are hawking like they do on the back of the cash register tapes at the store. I know some of the older kiosk stock had an ad for the Visa card, but make it a separate printout that comes out with their tickets when they check in. Win/win for all? If they want it they can take it and if not, they can trash it, but it isnt bothering anyone to print out at the machine.

I know it will cost money to do this, but isnt that what the company being promoted is charged for? Also with our crack inhouse IT team, they ought to be able to figure out a way for a special promo ticket to print out right? ;)

I realize the flight attendants main job is safety. However, in reality its generate revenue (ie no flight attendants, no paying customers). So if this helps the profit sharing it's probably a good thing.

Fine!! YOU sell them!! :angry:

If that company wants me to promote their crap, why not make it available to PURCHASE as part of the BOB service.

Coupons? What coupons? :shock:

Fine!! YOU sell them!! :angry:

If that company wants me to promote their crap, why not make it available to PURCHASE as part of the BOB service.

Coupons? What coupons? :shock:
I just think the company is shooting themselves in the foot. Advertisements are ALL OVER the plane, and they want us to do more,essentially, for free. While I really have no problem handing out a stupid coupon, the company is missing the point here. FA's (and I speak for FA's and not other groups..) have lost retirement, pension, are paying more for health benefits, and stagnate and starve on reserve (yes, it REALLY is that bad), all while hearing upper managements calls for a cost neutral contract, which undoubtedly would be worse for both east and west. We have RSVs sleeping in their cars in the employee lots and in the crew rooms!!

For Sheri to send this ill timed letter out to her "VALUED" Flight attendants is unreal. It is the most laughable, poorly thought out piece of correspondence I have seen in awhile. How out of touch can one woman be?

Treat us like employees who make your customers come back everyday, not liabilities. Show us that you WANT us to make a livable wage in the future, and maybe we won't have a problem handing out your coupons. Does anyone in Tempe understand?? :blink:

Heres a suggestion, use the kiosk when they check in to give them a "promotion coupon" or whatever they are hawking like they do on the back of the cash register tapes at the store. I know some of the older kiosk stock had an ad for the Visa card, but make it a separate printout that comes out with their tickets when they check in. Win/win for all? If they want it they can take it and if not, they can trash it, but it isnt bothering anyone to print out at the machine.

I know it will cost money to do this, but isnt that what the company being promoted is charged for? Also with our crack inhouse IT team, they ought to be able to figure out a way for a special promo ticket to print out right? ;)
OK here is my take on this...it is BS but I am all for making $$$ back in the late 80's ideas that fly...I came up with the idea of selling ad's on the demo tapes to sell add's for hotels rent-a cars etc to off set the cost to the airline...do a co-op or trade if you will to save money...I have a broadcasting background and the barter system can work if done in good taste...the idea fly people wanted more info but never took the idea ...well 10 years later it came to light...so cool let's do it...here is the problem F/A's are not sales people...the BOA crap is just that CRAP I will not do it but understand some F/A's need the $$$ so let it be...I am all for mrtg. a product but hire a pro. not a F/A that has no experence in this field. if we want to sell or market stuff on the A/C and hore out F/A's to do this here is a thought...set up sales bid lines on select flights...train them to sell and not pi@s off our pax...train these F/A's let them bid to be in flight sales reps...give them flight pay and a pax seat... and go for it... we all make $$$ In a professonal way...hold try out's some of these F/A sux on the PA and have not a clue in PA's more less how to sell a product...it's all back to you get what you pay for ...or for a nickle more you can go first class...there is a way to make it work just pull you head out of the sand...uhhh sandbox....

<SNIP> if we want to sell or market stuff on the A/C and hore out F/A's to do this here is a thought...set up sales bid lines on select flights...train them to sell and not pi@s off our pax...train these F/A's let them bid to be in flight sales reps...
LSG wanted to have US sell blankets, pillows, etc. when we first started BOB.

The benefit to the FAs?

Prize Vacations!

F/A's already clean the damn plane for 22% less pay. I don't see this making it down the aisle.

So essentially F/A's have become Doug's and Tempe's @itches! :shock: So what's next....let me guess we got those huge manual covers so we can all be issued a shoe shine kit to put inside of it! Enough is enough, spend a dime and advertise on National TV for chrissakes! You've got to spend money to make money! Stop hoe'ing out the F/A's to do your dirty work! :down: