Inflight Promotions OUT OF CONTROL

I'm sure you could always find extra Xmas income as one of those annoying kiosk workers in the mall pushing crap on the shoppers that they don't need. Just like those BofA credit card applications.
IMO you're just like the workers in a Starbucks who put out a tip jar. Why should I give a tip for someone who pours coffee?

Maybe that's what I'm doing wrong?!?. Maybe I should put out a tip jar when I'm doing my job??? Oh wait?! I'm a consult/trainer. It's required that I do my job PROFESSIONALLY.

And that is where we are today folks.......the public views us as flying telemarketers and we are being treated as such. We are so desperate for extra income that we will talk and talk and talk for a pitiful commmission and then we wonder why when we make an announcement no one listens to us.

It is a safety issue already. Passengers are so conditioned to us talking trash that they tune us out completely when we really do have something to say. I spent one flight strapped in the direct view jump seat (Captain had told us to strap in, moderate turbulence expected)PLEADING (4X) on the PA for them to obey the seat belt sign and they still piled up in the aisle at the lavs. When the turbulence hit a woman was standing in front of me holding a baby arguing with me that I hadn't told her to stay seated.

So...now, to avoid lawsuits, I must ask the flight deck to interrupt what they are doing and make an additional announcements to get them to comply with crewmembers instructions because they are conditioned to tune us out.

Plus we just add to the overstimulation stress of traveling now rather than present a calming enviroment.

It is awful for us and the passengers

I'm curious. How much $$ do you get for hawking these credit card applications? What is the % of $$ per application that has your name on it?

Why do I ask this?

Because I'll give YOU the extra $10, $30 or $50 to keep your trap shut. Next time your union has to renegotiate your contract, go tell them you're making more money hawking credit card applications than actually doing YOUR JOB!!

I'm sure you could always find extra Xmas income as one of those annoying kiosk workers in the mall pushing crap on the shoppers that they don't need. Just like those BofA credit card applications.
IMO you're just like the workers in a Starbucks who put out a tip jar. Why should I give a tip for someone who pours coffee?

Maybe that's what I'm doing wrong?!?. Maybe I should put out a tip jar when I'm doing my job??? Oh wait?! I'm a consult/trainer. It's required that I do my job PROFESSIONALLY.
Bank of America pays $50 for every approved application. Since (East) flight attendants have given up just over 22% of compensation in the last five years, many of them use this as an opportunity to keep a roof over themselves and their families. I do the credit card thing, but I use the company announcement and I NEVER do the promotion if there's a delay, if it's late in the evening, or early morning.

You want to pay me $50 bucks to shut me up? Fine, but we're going to have to come up with a multiplier for how many possible approved apps BofA could have received via my walk through. I doubt you're going to be able to afford your proposal. Sorry, dude.

Tastefully.......oh I can only imagine. I am sure you have one of those well scripted disertations that rambles ON and ON and ON......problem is the LAUGH is ON YOU, and you just don't get it :lol:
Really? Laugh is on me? Thousands of dollars later? Nope, dont think so....
I use the little announcement that is written in the announcement booklet. The one the COMPANY PRINTED...duh...

Cashcow until the end.... :up:

The bottom line is the FAs are doing what they company instructs them to do.

If you don't want to be marketed too, fly another airline instead of whining and complaining about it.

Bank of America pays $50 for every approved application. Since (East) flight attendants have given up just over 22% of compensation in the last five years, many of them use this as an opportunity to keep a roof over themselves and their families. I do the credit card thing, but I use the company announcement and I NEVER do the promotion if there's a delay, if it's late in the evening, or early morning.

You want to pay me $50 bucks to shut me up? Fine, but we're going to have to come up with a multiplier for how many possible approved apps BofA could have received via my walk through. I doubt you're going to be able to afford your proposal. Sorry, dude.
Exactly. ;) Find something else to whine about on here....

F/A's will do anything to earn an extra $$....it's not their fault....pay them better! The problem lies within management allowing this to take control of what used to be a relaxed and quiet enviroment. It's bad enough the "Level Off" video has been turned into the MOST obnoxious nuisance onboard the A/C! Now add countless announcements made by cabin crew and flight crew and you've just turned the most relaxed person into a angry frustrated traveler who has been bombarded and annoyed with countless advertisements and slogans! I mean for chrissakes their ALREADY onboard flying the damn airline! We've just chased them away for being soo obnoxious! and the worse part out of all of this, is that when a god-
forbid safety announcement should have to occur, the passenger has already tuned you off and will not listen anymore! Stop the insanity! Turn flying back into a relaxed and enjoyable atmosphere......other Airlines do it and their successful! C'mon Tempe, show US that you have what it takes to be professional and successful! :up:

Really? Laugh is on me? Thousands of dollars later? Nope, dont think so....
I use the little announcement that is written in the announcement booklet. The one the COMPANY PRINTED...duh...

Cashcow until the end.... :up:

As long as any promotion places direct immediate compensation into the f/as pocket, then I'm for it. However, using the f/as to solicit business for other industries should be negotiated in "side letters", otherwise the company could decide at anytime to "pocket" these commissions from BofA at anytime it feels like it, and continue to demand the f/as to sell all kinds of items on the a/c without any compensation.

You don't want a precedent set for marketing without tieing it to a commissions (in writing)!

I do believe this is both the EAST and WEST MEC position on the issue of marketing items. If the passengers don't mind it, then go at it...in writing, stamped and approved by the unions.

The bottom line is the FAs are doing what they company instructs them to do.

If you don't want to be marketed too, fly another airline instead of whining and complaining about it.

Yet another fine example of your attitude towards the customer. Maybe you and the rest of mechanics can come onboard right before departure and walk up and down the aisle begging for tips explaining to us how safe we are since you've tightened that screw or changed the lightbulb in the lavatory??

Do your jobs that you get paid to do. How much longer are you going to hide behind the "we took a 22% paycut"? Honestly, do you really think the flying public cares anymore? Maybe you and a few others on here can quit complaining and find another line of work that pays better.

Don't bother with the FLAMING retort. Like the F/A's, I've tuned you out too.

Sorry, dude.

Duuuude! You're so Righteous! When's the next wave?

In every airport, there is someone hawking a credit card for a specific airline. In PHL, PIT, CLT & PHX we have to endure the constant pitching of the US Mastercard from Juniper. Go to ORD, LAX, SFO it's the Chase Visa. Heck even WN sets up a credit card booth in every airport they fly out of.

Maybe you can get a job at one of these booths. And work for the airline on your off days. Obviouisly, the credit cards are paying your salary better than US is.

What I find totally amazing about these credit card "pushers", is that it only seems to be Juniper's Mastercard and Bank of America's Visa, both for USAIRWAYS, that are the most obnoxious for their constant enticements.

As long as any promotion places direct immediate compensation into the f/as pocket, then I'm for it. However, using the f/as to solicit business for other industries should be negotiated in "side letters", otherwise the company could decide at anytime to "pocket" these commissions from BofA at anytime it feels like it, and continue to demand the f/as to sell all kinds of items on the a/c without any compensation.

You don't want a precedent set for marketing without tieing it to a commissions (in writing)!

I do believe this is both the EAST and WEST MEC position on the issue of marketing items. If the passengers don't mind it, then go at it...in writing, stamped and approved by the unions.
Well the good thing PITbull is the flight attendants have the right to "choose" whether or not they will hand them out during the beverage service. Since this is not a contractual issue they don't "have" to pass them out.
And the consensus is they won't.

And speaking of contractual issues why hasn't anyone from the MEC put out any Eline regarding the "Special News Item" from the Company
regarding their misinterpretation/misquoting of Holiday Sick Usage which can be found in Section 8.H.2? That should have been addressed but has NOT!! HELLOOOOO?!?

Duuuude! You're so Righteous! When's the next wave?
In every airport, there is someone hawking a credit card for a specific airline. In PHL, PIT, CLT & PHX we have to endure the constant pitching of the US Mastercard from Juniper. Go to ORD, LAX, SFO it's the Chase Visa. Heck even WN sets up a credit card booth in every airport they fly out of.

Maybe you can get a job at one of these booths. And work for the airline on your off days. Obviouisly, the credit cards are paying your salary better than US is.
What I find totally amazing about these credit card "pushers", is that it only seems to be Juniper's Mastercard and Bank of America's Visa, both for USAIRWAYS, that are the most obnoxious for their constant enticements.
Sorry you got up on the wrong side of the bed, dude. It's been a sweet today in Charlotte; tragedy that Lake Norman doesn't have waves.

I do not see the harm of giving out a coupon for a dollar off ice cream during the holiday period that this will be passed out. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I've known many flight attendants that have jumped on coupons and discounts and flashed their airline ID for restaurant discount every chance they get. and if they don't get that discount, they #### and moan!!!

The union needs to back off on this issue and keep focused on a single contract instead of getting the workforce all worked up over a stupid coupon. America West has always advertised in the air...get over yourselves. Frankly when I travel with my kids... i could use that dollar off at Cold Stone and I'm sure many others can as well.

Why dont they get them printed on the ticket jackets? They'd be there if someone wanted them and if not, they'd get trashed, but no one would have to endure the sales pitch or "pimp" themselves out. I rememeber stuffing all kinds of inserts in the ticket jackets way back when. New service announcements, bonus FF promos, Universal ads, etc. Print up coupons and have them at the gate podium for people to take while they are boarding if they want one. Better yet, just have the Cold Stone people accept a current US boarding pass as the $ off coupon. That way they can make the announcement on the video and there isnt anything extra to have to worry about. You just take your BP with you anyway.

Well the good thing PITbull is the flight attendants have the right to "choose" whether or not they will hand them out during the beverage service. Since this is not a contractual issue they don't "have" to pass them out.
And the consensus is they won't.

And speaking of contractual issues why hasn't anyone from the MEC put out any Eline regarding the "Special News Item" from the Company
regarding their misinterpretation/misquoting of Holiday Sick Usage which can be found in Section 8.H.2? That should have been addressed but has NOT!! HELLOOOOO?!?

My immediate guess is that Mike F. has been busy trying to protect his main meal ticket...Laura, rather than protecting the f/as and sending out an E-line to further clarify the meaning of 8.H. with regard to sick calls and the ILLEGAL threat of the company stating they will contact the employee's physician directly...I'll help myself to putting this in capps...

THE COMPANY HAS NO FEDERAL LEGAL RIGHT TO CONTACT A MEDICAL HEALTH PROFESSIONAL TO DERIVE PERSONAL INFORMATION REGARDING A PATIENT'S MEDICAL CONDITION, DIAGNOSIS, OR MEDICAL RECORDS...AS THAT IS AGAINST THE HIPAA REGULATIONS.

The union should take that Company employee communication with the threat, and file a complaint with the U.S. Government!

Look later on for a trip report but a little flight attendent "Birdie" told me that Sheri Shamblin has recieved over 700 e-mail/letters regarding the non stop pimping on board. My "A" f/a was NOT happy having to do the Cold Stone coupon even a little bit.

This is a fact. It is on the West Council 66 MEC E-line that went out today.

Why dont they get them printed on the ticket jackets? They'd be there if someone wanted them and if not, they'd get trashed, but no one would have to endure the sales pitch or "pimp" themselves out. I rememeber stuffing all kinds of inserts in the ticket jackets way back when. New service announcements, bonus FF promos, Universal ads, etc. Print up coupons and have them at the gate podium for people to take while they are boarding if they want one. Better yet, just have the Cold Stone people accept a current US boarding pass as the $ off coupon. That way they can make the announcement on the video and there isnt anything extra to have to worry about. You just take your BP with you anyway.

Now, this is the most excellent idea I've read.

If you look when you signed up for MOST company Health care plans you signed away many of your rights to privacy. HIPAA regs are designed to prevent "accidental" disclosure of personal patient information. Also my understanding is they are "Guidelines" not regulations in the true sense of the word.

Actually, my dear friend, its quite the opposite of what you posted...

HIPAA are regulations that are to prevent purposeful disclosure or passing around of patient's medical information even to a family member. It is also to alert medical professionals that even "accidental" disclosures of any information without permission from the patient can rise to the level of legitimate legal ramifications for the individual who discloses, along with the facility, or Physician practice.

As a medical professional, I had extensive inservicing on this very issue just recently.

There is no disclosure statement from your employer that is permissable to violate federal laws. Your employer may attempt to force you to sign a document that permits them to acquire this information as a contigent for continued employment and as an "at will" employee. But for the f/as, their contract protects them and the wording is such that the company must demonstrate the reasons they believe that your sick call is for illegitimate reasons. They again, do not have direct access to medical information unless they have the patient's written permission sent to the medical facility or physician. The medical professional will not release any information unless they have written permission from the patient.

I do not see the harm of giving out a coupon for a dollar off ice cream during the holiday period that this will be passed out. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I've known many flight attendants that have jumped on coupons and discounts and flashed their airline ID for restaurant discount every chance they get. and if they don't get that discount, they #### and moan!!!

The union needs to back off on this issue and keep focused on a single contract instead of getting the workforce all worked up over a stupid coupon. America West has always advertised in the air...get over yourselves. Frankly when I travel with my kids... i could use that dollar off at Cold Stone and I'm sure many others can as well.

Welcome to the boards!

I'm glad you like the ice cream coupons, but I think the point many are trying to make is that F/A's are not glorified salepeople. They are there for the safety of the flight. Having to hawk wares is antithetic to doing your job.

Latest posts