IAM Fleet Service topic

Status
Not open for further replies.
When you file a grievance you always put in what you want for the award. It just depends on what you file is what you get. It could be money for violating scope language or ot bypass. Could be for a disciplinary letter to be removed or reduced, or if your terminated or suspended you get your job and money back.

If the company refuse to abide by an award you sue them in court, but so far in my knowledge this has only happened once at US, when the IAM sued for the airbus outsourcing and won, then had it sent to arbitration.

10-4...Thanks

I think what we got here is people got in over there heads and don't know what there doing. I know for a fact that when my station
got outsourced we couldnt get our AGC to return our calls much less answer any questions.

Tim I have been going over your ideas that you want to implement if you win your election. I have to say your points are very good
and could go a long way to change the lack of true leadership we have at 141. Good luck to you and your other candidates
thanks for your kind words. The platform itself is to protect the Eboard and to protect and empower the masses. It protects the Eboard of greed. Let me explain. I have seen many a good union man and woman go into office with the passion to serve members. But somewhere between the first $9,000 monthly check and the second one, they get fat, happy, soft and pompous. Essentially, money corrupts good people. And we ought not to place myself or anyone of us above that. Instead we must guard against it and we guard against it by capping out the salaries at a much lower [but still fair] rate, through the voluntary deductions which will be posted each month for transparent purposes. The President's salary is the lowest since I believe that a true leader leads by serving and being least. So, the platform helps protect the Eboard from becoming too puffed up.

Secondly, I didn't leave a good paying union job to just jump right back into the same system that doesn't empower the masses. I would have just stayed comfy where I was if that was the case. I wanted change and not just name change. The problem, as I see it, is also the way in which the union does business. Its paternal and non academic nature will always produce an environment that short changes members and limits solidarity. In fact, the present predicament where our members have slipped from middle class to lower middle class is the exact sorta thing we would expect with a dinosauric paternal and non academic system. Our negotiations team will continue to get brutalized against management attorneys and will have no solidarity behind the union. And if we put Tim Nelson up there in the same environment then there still will be no results. Not even a superhero like Superman could find a way out under this silly structure. Honestly, it will just be the mouse's wheel spinning around and round, no matter who you put up there, if the environment isn't changed through changing the way in how the union does business. Does this make sense?

I mean, the problem before us is a problem involving billions of dollars and changing the outcome is much more than needing a set of "big balls". Although the cave man mentality might be useful in swinging clubs, it is a technique that undermines the union in todays brave new world where information travels as quick as the speed of light.

Incorporating the processes of socialization is a great and proven technique that is incredibly successful in building the type of solidarity that would have the greatest chance of capturing a leading industry contract. Team building techniques where you develop ownership within the masses and the masses internalize and then legitimate the socialization process. Presently, the masses are blindfolded, muzzled and have a fence around them. The occupy 141 platform will take the union from "Members blindly following their Collective bargaining agent" to "The Collective bargaining agent serving the members". There are too many secrets right now. The occupy 141 platform puts transparency and knowledge at the most sacred. And it's flavored with the recognition that even though myself and others may be capable, we still need professionals as an additional resource to serve the membership in the professional way in which they deserve.

I have built "Houses of Solidarity" utilizing those techniques in successful organizing drives and it's the same principles that we would use on the representational side. Organizing drives and negotiations are a true battle of wit, administered academically, and applied through activism with a team that is equipped to obtain, sustain, and endure, so that leverage can be measured, produced, and gained. It's actually fairly simple if the leadership is hard working and has a dogged determination. When I was the Organizing director, I think I drove my organizers very hard, like a head coach that the players loved to hate. There were words along the way. But the smell of success and being undefeated was rewarding to all of them.

As I build this Occupy 141 team, some have stepped up, others have faded, new members will take the plow. In the end, the ticket will be encompassed only with those individuals who understand the power of the Occupy 141 platform.

Onward www.occupyiam141.com

Tim

Reactions: 2 people
I think what we got here is people got in over there heads and don't know what there doing. I know for a fact that when my station
got outsourced we couldnt get our AGC to return our calls much less answer any questions.

Tim I have been going over your ideas that you want to implement if you win your election. I have to say your points are very good
and could go a long way to change the lack of true leadership we have at 141. Good luck to you and your other candidates

Inadequate AGC representation seems to be a common occurance throughout the system. Having only 5 AGCs from US Airways certainly has something to do with it. Let's keep in mind there are many factors contributing to our group's slow demise. The airlines operate under the Railway Labor Act. This Act allows airlines to continue operation while labor contracts go well past their ammendable dates. I believe the average in the industry is around 2.5 years past the ammendable date before a new agreement is reached. Next is bankruptcy laws that afford the company the ability to operate while they "restructure" by stiffing creditors, eliminating jobs, closing stations and renegotiating existing contracts with the threat of abrogation. After all of this is accomplished they return to profitability with a nice return to the shareholders and bonuses for the executives. Let's face it our existing contract is the shell of the original agreement reach in 1999. Through two bankruptcies and one transition agreement the only changes have been concessions to work rules, compensation, vacation and sick accrual. As a result of this unlevel playing field we have gone backwards for 12 years. It's no wonder the frustration level is so high among the membership.

Reactions: 1 person
Another stump speech from some one more interested in talk than work.

Carry on.
Dog Wonder,

Huh? I'll stand on my work performance when I was employed on your dime. I was incredibly successful because I was 24/7 and nobody wins organizing drives sitting in an office.

In fact, I delivered everything I said I was while on the members dime. Kindly, reference any of my work habits and success while I was being paid by the members. Either reference or cite something that supports your statement or spare us from unsupported dribble.

Onward!

Tim

Reactions: 2 people
You immediately think of work as talking.

I'm talking about work, you know, doing extra for your co-workers to help a plane get out.

Instead of hanging in the ABR room.

Talking.

Carry on.
C'mon maaaaaaaaannnnnnn. How about quit quote mining me and if you copy my post, copy the entirety of it? I have been back on the ramp for almost 6 months now and I've received a couple AB's so I'm proud of my work ethic, although I will admit that I do have a slight pull for a friendly game of chess, as opposed to a TV show, which leads me to my next question. Does ABR have chess boards set up? Where is Benji, he was perhaps one of the best opponents.

Onward www.Occupyiam141.com

Tim

Reactions: 3 people
When the agc's don't force the companies hand to give answers for 3rd step grievances, what are the alternatives for the agents that have been waiting way past the grievance timelines?

Rogue

Rogue, one way to get the company off their butts and listen to you is don't try to get their TRIPLE PLAY done every month. That's the company's baby and that's all they care about. The boys at the top get BIG bonuses for that while they throw you a $30 bone a month. Also, you run your butt off doing a good job so they look good to the public and they throw you out in the street. Triple play starts falling apart and they'll talk to you.

Rogue, one way to get the company off their butts and listen to you is don't try to get their TRIPLE PLAY done every month. That's the company's baby and that's all they care about. The boys at the top get BIG bonuses for that while they throw you a $30 bone a month. Also, you run your butt off doing a good job so they look good to the public and they throw you out in the street. Triple play starts falling apart and they'll talk to you.
Yep, they'll talk to you alright, and when they do you'll need a shop steward to help you as much as possible when you're getting written up for purposely missing bags or delaying flights. Unless there's enough solidarity and coordination to do this on a large scale, isolated and individual attempts to sabotage the operation will end in isolated and individual discipline and termination.

When negotiating, would you rather be backed by solid performance numbers that speak to the ability and determination of your workgroup, or by empty threats of holding customers hostage and sabotaging the very operation that pays the bills? Thinking about Parker and pals, do they seem like the kind of people to cower and capitulate at flaccid threats against the operation? Or will they only become more resolved to expressify the airline and resort to legal means to halt any perceived illegal work actions?

Yep, they'll talk to you alright, and when they do you'll need a shop steward to help you as much as possible when you're getting written up for purposely missing bags or delaying flights. Unless there's enough solidarity and coordination to do this on a large scale, isolated and individual attempts to sabotage the operation will end in isolated and individual discipline and termination.

When negotiating, would you rather be backed by solid performance numbers that speak to the ability and determination of your workgroup, or by empty threats of holding customers hostage and sabotaging the very operation that pays the bills? Thinking about Parker and pals, do they seem like the kind of people to cower and capitulate at flaccid threats against the operation? Or will they only become more resolved to expressify the airline and resort to legal means to halt any perceived illegal work actions?

Agreed. Isolated and individual attempts are not advisable. Well coordinated attempts on a large scale seem to challenge the company's resolve and they do, in fact, resort to legal means to halt any percieved illegal work actions. Case in point the pilot group. The question is, in negotiations which approach is viewed as productive? During the grievance process at Step 3, if there is no decision rendered by the company in a timely manner, this becomes the responsibility of the AGC. A member's concerns, of the lack of a timely resolution, should be expressed to the District President. Don't forget to cc in the VP of IAM Transportation.

Jester,

I would think this would qualify him:

Robert started in the IAM as a ramp serviceman for TWA and a member of Local Lodge 1056 in New York. Soon after, he transferred to Local Lodge 1445 in Newark, NJ. He was elected as a shop steward in 1976 and served as Grievance Committee Chairman from 1979 through 1992.

Robert held other offices in Local Lodge 1445, including trustee, vice president and president.

In 1984, he was elected District Lodge 142 trustee and also served as coordinator for the District's Human Rights Committee. Robert became a District 142 General Chairman in 1992.

In 1994, Robert was appointed Transportation Department Special Representative and a Grand Lodge Representative (GLR) in 1996. From GLR, Robert became General Vice President of the Transportation Department on June 1, 1999.

Robert earned a Bachelor of Science degree in Labor and Management Relations at the Empire State Labor College and is a graduate of the Labor Studies program at the Cornell School of Labor.

700UW,

That's probably the most impressive curriculum vitae I have seen from any of the IAM leadership since the merge of the two unions. In fact, if you recall a few years ago in this same forum I roasted the MEC for its collective lack of educational qualifications based upon a "Get-to-Know-Your-Leadership" story printed in the IAM's four-color fish wrap mailed to my home. If I recall correctly, there MIGHT have been one 4-year degree diploma between the group, and I was questioning if the college was a legitimate institution of higher learning.

However, and I'll say it again... I want LABOR AND CONTRACT ATTORNEYS reviewing our CBAs, and while Mr. Roach may be an educated and experienced man to handle daily operations of an union, and maybe even the negotiations, when it gets to technical legal and financial matters, find an expert. Our CBA and the Company's attitude towards FSAs should demand real professionals who understand detailed labor laws and has already probably reviewed several thousand contracts during their careers.

So Reiterates Jester.

Before any CBA is presented to the company a lawyer does review it, as a matter of fact the offer we gave the company for M&R during bankruptcy was typed up by the lawyer in his office after reviewing it all.

And the IAM doesnt have an MEC, never has never will, where are you pulling that from?

Maybe you need to educate yourself on the structure of the IAM.

Status
Not open for further replies.