US Fleet Service Topic 4/30-

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, I got a laugh today at work..

TONY, the IAM safety guy came into our break room today, and told us that we don't understand how a union works, and would be kept current if we went to our union meetings.

Really, Tony?

And when has the IAM ever announced..........ANYWHERE... Where our union meetings are held and where?

I mean, really..

You guys all bashed Ron Roth for joining with Randy, but at least he used the union board to give us updates, and kept us informed on many dimensions of the union's inner workings.

He said we were uneducated about how things work, and complained about us ripping the DNO tags off of equipment...

Really... Well, perhaps if our union went to bat for us when we get harassed for not getting a plane out by 0, then we wouldn't do this...

Perhaps if the IAM showed up more than once every two years, we would be a little more "educated" on matters. Sure, Tony.. We will be seeing a lot more of you, just like those three clowns from California that promised us the same exact thing, and haven't shown up since!

There's a reason why we are "UNEDUCATED"... It's because there's no leadership here in PHX and no communication with IAM. No updates on the IAM website AT ALL.

For you guys out east, we understand how a union works, but cannot understand why you're more likely to see Santa Claus before you will the IAM.

No communication about grievances that are happening-

I asked a union guy what was going on with my attendance issues and he said to "keep bugging him about it." He has clearly done nothing for me, and PHX continues to fire people, rather than lay them off, or auto them so they can SAVE MONEY... Where is the union?! Where is the outrage in PHX?

I mean... REALLY...

Such disrespect and pre-judgement...... I'm stopping my payments to the union ASAP

You have to pay dues or at least what is germane to the CBA as a condition of employment. And by becoming a dues objector you become a non-member and cannot particpate in any meetings, and you cannot vote on your reps nor on a CBA.

And the PHX local President is a friend of mine, I passed on what you said to her.

Funny I just visited 2559's site and it shows current information and when the next meeting is, interesting, seek and yee shall find!

IAM LL 2559 PHX

So, I got a laugh today at work..

TONY, the IAM safety guy came into our break room today, and told us that we don't understand how a union works, and would be kept current if we went to our union meetings.

Really, Tony?

And when has the IAM ever announced..........ANYWHERE... Where our union meetings are held and where?

I mean, really..

You guys all bashed Ron Roth for joining with Randy, but at least he used the union board to give us updates, and kept us informed on many dimensions of the union's inner workings.

He said we were uneducated about how things work, and complained about us ripping the DNO tags off of equipment...

Really... Well, perhaps if our union went to bat for us when we get harassed for not getting a plane out by 0, then we wouldn't do this...

Perhaps if the IAM showed up more than once every two years, we would be a little more "educated" on matters. Sure, Tony.. We will be seeing a lot more of you, just like those three clowns from California that promised us the same exact thing, and haven't shown up since!

There's a reason why we are "UNEDUCATED"... It's because there's no leadership here in PHX and no communication with IAM. No updates on the IAM website AT ALL.

For you guys out east, we understand how a union works, but cannot understand why you're more likely to see Santa Claus before you will the IAM.

No communication about grievances that are happening-

I asked a union guy what was going on with my attendance issues and he said to "keep bugging him about it." He has clearly done nothing for me, and PHX continues to fire people, rather than lay them off, or auto them so they can SAVE MONEY... Where is the union?! Where is the outrage in PHX?

I mean... REALLY...

Such disrespect and pre-judgement...... I'm stopping my payments to the union ASAP

Chill,

Maybe the Union board isn't updated as often as it should be but since the attendance program came out the amount of grievances have skyrocketed. When you have talked to your Rep. about your attendance grievance he has told you to keep bugging him. That is because we are awaiting the International to arbitrate the policy or negotiate more favorable terms. Until then, there is not a whole lot we can do about attendance.

As for no leadership here in PHX, Go around and ask fellow employees if they have received information regarding their grievances and whether they are satisfied with what the Union has been doing for them. We have resolved numerous grievances including many terminations. Remember, we are doing all of this while at work and spending time on our days off to help the membership. I answer numerous questions regarding grievances, contract language etc. on a daily basis and I take phone calls on my days off.

As for Ron Roth, I appreciate what he tried to do for the membership, but he was not good and we are better off without him. He was a good communicator but wouldn't know a good grievance if it bit him in the arse.

Come talk to me, I will answer any questions you have. If you want, I will call you weekly with the latest issues. You be proactive and you will get your answers.

P Rez

Chill,

Maybe the Union board isn't updated as often as it should be but since the attendance program came out the amount of grievances have skyrocketed. When you have talked to your Rep. about your attendance grievance he has told you to keep bugging him. That is because we are awaiting the International to arbitrate the policy or negotiate more favorable terms. Until then, there is not a whole lot we can do about attendance.

P Rez

Then my question is what is taking so long ?
This is for ANYONE who can answer.

P Rez,

The Distict arbitrates the grievance, not the International.

For a grievance to go to Arbitration it can take a year before its heard, nothing happens overnight in the grievance procedure.

I have talked to Melissa and she is going to talk to Chris about the communication issue on US property in PHX, as you know Melissa is in WN Reservations.

P Rez,

The Distict arbitrates the grievance, not the International.

For a grievance to go to Arbitration it can take a year before its heard, nothing happens overnight in the grievance procedure.

I have talked to Melissa and she is going to talk to Chris about the communication issue on US property in PHX, as you know Melissa is in WN Reservations.

700UW,

I know the district arbitrates, I'm using terms these employees understand. I am on the GC in PHX and aware of how everything works. I know how arbitrations work. I have been outspoken in PHX and with our AGC that we should negotiate with the company on a more palatable point system. My fellow PHX employees are being fired consistently under this policy and will continue to be fired. There are 160 employees on level 2 or 3 in PHX and something needs to be done now. Our problem with regards to communication has been the fact that we have been slammed with hundreds of attendance grievances but we communicate with individuals who approach us. Yes, we could communicate better but our knowledge and effectiveness in helping employees has been second to no other city in the system.

P. Rez

Yes, we could communicate better but our knowledge and effectiveness in helping employees has been second to no other city in the system.

P. Rez

P.Rez,

I have to dissagree here. Your knowledge and effctiveness my be great in PHX, but your way of communicating may not work for other cities. The same goes for your effectiveness. CLT has a great GC and if you talked to anybody in CLT about the IAM pressance there, PHX would indded be #2. So it is all a matter of opinion. Same goes for PHL, LGA, TPA, MCO, RDU, ect, ect, ect. While I have no doubt that you guys on the GC are working your tail off to help our fellow union brothers and sisters, everybody on a GC does the same. That is what we signed up to do. So please, and I mean no dissrespect, we are all in this together, and no 1 person/station should be smater than the other. With a union we should all be working together. Not saying that I/we are smater than the rest of you guys. Keep up the good work, I know just how underappreciated the GC's are.

You have to pay dues or at least what is germane to the CBA as a condition of employment. And by becoming a dues objector you become a non-member and cannot particpate in any meetings, and you cannot vote on your reps nor on a CBA.

And the PHX local President is a friend of mine, I passed on what you said to her.

Funny I just visited 2559's site and it shows current information and when the next meeting is, interesting, seek and yee shall find!

IAM LL 2559 PHX

Yea, that IS interesting. Even our union reps said they were looking for someone to do a website like this to keep all of the membership informed.. Interesting, indeed!

Maybe you should pass that along to her as well... Interesting. Now if it just had some info OTHER when the meetings are, that would be great! Not to mention that this website is, AGAIN, found through a fellow employee and NOT an official, or official website. My point exactly.

See, 700, he came in and called is IGNORANT, and there's a REASON we are, it's because of this. Nobody has made a concerted effort to getting ALL of us correct information.

Any other witty comments, 700? Haha.. Of course you do. You're the greatest man EVER judging from the level of intellect and sarcasm in your posts!

my good buddy Chill,
I'm guessing the heat is rising on the desert . You bring up some valid points and your frustration
is very valid. If I may make a few points of interest here. We went through a similar problem in Clt
a few years ago. Might I suggest you guys get with the GC and get someone to become a Communicator
I know PHL has one and He is very effective in keeping the membership informed. In CLT we don't need
such a person because our GC is able to balance the Grievance work and there Face time with the
membership plus there door is always open and I mean they literally get on average 20 to25 people a day in there office . also it sounds like your shop stewards need to meet with the GC on a weekly basis
and then report back to the membership what is happening . Again let me repeat it takes MEMBERS to
step up and want to educate the membership for this to happen. and CLT is a great example of this
they have turned this station of 1200 plus around and keep them informed. As for the website I think
it's pretty cool with the calendar format and even a map to the local. So my friend there's a few ideas
to throw around. Since you seem to be pretty suave on the computer maybe you can assist in updating
the website or creating your own just for the US phx folks .

sidenote:
In reference to Tony D the District Safety Rep. He's as UNION as it comes . and know's more
about Safety then any person I have ever met. Please don't take offense to his forwardness , He is just
very passionate about the UNION and about keeping the membership SAFE and holding MANAGEMENT
accountable. You got to know 2 things about Tony he's from the Burgh and he's Italian. so the emotions run high.

sorry for the long post . Chill any other questions please PM me. WE want PHX to succeed and reap the benefits of this UNION .

spoiler(highlight with cursor to read): I am an average PHX member and I think the IAM is doing a good job in PHX, especially on the individual level.

Yea, that IS interesting. Even our union reps said they were looking for someone to do a website like this to keep all of the membership informed.. Interesting, indeed!
I think a blog format would work nicely. This would be very affordable (free) and easy and is a great way to keep people informed. Plain language stuff. Anything that goes up on the board can go up on the web; this way members would also have access to past items posted on the union board.

Maybe you should pass that along to her as well... Interesting. Now if it just had some info OTHER when the meetings are, that would be great!
What kind of information, specifically, do you want to see?

Not to mention that this website is, AGAIN, found through a fellow employee and NOT an official, or official website. My point exactly.
Here's a safe and fun cool trick you can try at home: Type "iam local 2559" into google and see what the first result is. Or just ask a shop steward when you have union-related questions or do something constructive and suggest they put the url and an e-mail on the union board. As for meetings, I've always seen the details posted on the boards. I haven't been to one myself but even I could have told you that it's at the Best Western on 24th street and they meet on a Tuesday...

See, 700, he came in and called is IGNORANT, and there's a REASON we are, it's because of this. Nobody has made a concerted effort to getting ALL of us correct information.
So are you going to volunteer to write a PHX IAM newsletter? When one considers all the different types and kinds of people we have working the ramp in PHX and what it's got to take to hear and stay up on individual information requests and sit-ins with management it may finally be realized that any shortcomings they have at doing what they've chosen to do, they're still far ahead and much better prepared to help the membership than all ye armchair complainers combined.

The only way to get ALL of us informed is to buy up commercial time on VH1 Classic or during whatever playoffs are on the TVs in the break room. Or people could just casually glance at the union board as they walk by, or see if they recognize any of the shop stewards that have a photo there (these were just recently updated I see [with a picture of the lodge president included, very clever]).

Any other witty comments, 700? Haha.. Of course you do. You're the greatest man EVER judging from the level of intellect and sarcasm in your posts!
It's funny to watch those that do nothing criticize the imperfections of those trying. Your words seem aloft in bag room angst (or maybe ZD AM?); but does my nose trick me?

1. Someone needs to update the boards more in PHX .

2. Let me be blunt .... our union seems to be too stuck in the mind set of settling the sick policy through arbitration .. there's no need for that .. many of us have told you and continue to tell you to use this health scare to our advantage ... like ralph emnalue said "never let a good crisis go to waste "

every day that you waste in not forcing the companies hand by using the health crisis is another day that hand weakens as people grow nonchalnt about it .

... like ralph emnalue
Ah ha ha...what?

every day that you waste in not forcing the companies hand by using the health crisis is another day that hand weakens as people grow nonchalnt about it .
How do you suggest we "use" the health crisis? Should we pretend to have H1N1 and all call in sick or say that we shouldn't have to come to work because we might catch a virus we'll likely catch eventually anyways? What exactly is it you want the company to rescind, change, or provide? If no one has a plan and no one can agree on what the actual attendance policy should be, what's the point in applying pressure at all?

Status
Not open for further replies.