IAM Fleet Service topic

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think there can be a lawsuit. I DO believe that this should be referred to the NMB. The DOL should also now be involved. US has proven that they have an attitude of disdain and disinterest in fufilling their Federally mandated negotiations and agreements. This isn't a lawsuit issue for the Union to take up; it is one that the Government should take upon and the Company should defend as criminals, for that is what they are by breaching legally negotiated agreements.

'sup rats.

Fellow ramper here; found these forums and the topics here really interesting so I joined. I've been working in PHX for about a couple years. Hope to lurk much and get in on some good topics.

Cheers!

Another Attendance Violation

Your management is running folks up the attendance flagpost at record clips from what I have heard. What is most troubling is that it is doing so by violating contractual terms. For instance, once on 'initial discussion', it takes 2 pts to get to the level 1 discipline level. The problem is that employee X was on initial discussion, then dropped the dime on December 1st, dropped the dime again on December 18th and is getting put on level 1 discipline on December 20th.

In putting 'employee x' on level 1, in doing so, the company is issuing discipline by basing said discipline on an incident that occured beyond the 14 day window. In the example above, 'employee x' sick call on December 1st can't possibly be used against him on December 20th.

Every station, steward, Local Committee, and AGC needs to pick up on this.

Question 1 in my mailbox: "Tim, since the initial discussion uses a rolling system that considers sick calls from the past 12 months, why can't we prohibit the company from using those occurances from being placed on initial discussion?

Answer: Initial discussion isn't recognized as discipline by the company. IMO, since it is under the discipline umbrella it is discipline but this is a matter of interpretation. My interpretation might not be finally convincing to an arbitrator. BUT, issuing discipline on level 1, 2, 3, 4, based on incidents more than 14 days old is a clear violation of your contract. Remember, any policy your company has is subject to terms of your agreement. The issuance of discipline is a 'crystal clear team.' Therefore, any remedy must ask for the employee to be made whole, including any backpay, system transfer award, that the employee would have otherwise been entitled to.

Question 2: "Since we haven't complained about alot of company contract violations before, won't an arbitrator just side with the company over these new disputes that are only being raised by our new leaders?

Answer: Canale didn't do squat and caused USair to disrespect fleet along all levels. But there is no mythical duration in which someone can file a grievance and precedences are only set after an item reaches step 3 in the grievance process. Remember, just because you had previous misleaders who were really management 'ploys' doesn't mean that the stance taken by the new leaders is invalid.

regards,
Tim Nelson
IAM Local Chairman, 1487, Chicago

Um...not trying to "hijack" the thread but this is something I'm itching to ask:

Which of you/what stations are currently using the bag scanners and for how long have you been doing it? Because from what I've heard PHX is the only hub (?station) doing it so far.

They tested them on only one gate (A6) for a number of months before rolling them out to about 80% of the gates at the end of October. I'll withhold my own opinions on the scanners and their use for the time being...

I know LAS is using it but, you cant scan bags in both bins on the download with one scanner with two runners, so you cant get an accurate count. So if the company wants bags to connect timely and reach the carousel timely they need more people on the gate to scan. As well as people at the carousel, more staffing to ensure proper delivery. This is one piece of technology on the side of workers to track bags, if they want it done properly they need more people to do the job!!!! :up: :up: :up: :up: :D

Um...not trying to "hijack" the thread but this is something I'm itching to ask:

Which of you/what stations are currently using the bag scanners and for how long have you been doing it? Because from what I've heard PHX is the only hub (?station) doing it so far.

They tested them on only one gate (A6) for a number of months before rolling them out to about 80% of the gates at the end of October. I'll withhold my own opinions on the scanners and their use for the time being...

I know that CLT has been scanning bags for well over a month. If I am not mistaken each gate

has two scanners. How they are used is up to the people assigned to that gate.

Golden ram
what does ND08 Have to do with scanners.. go back to working your cake express O.T that GS is handing

you everyday . You lost touch with the membership and now you can live under the POS contract like

the rest of us.

Golden ram
what does ND08 Have to do with scanners.. go back to working your cake express O.T that GS is handing

you everyday . You lost touch with the membership and now you can live under the POS contract like

the rest of us.

How is it picking up trash on the ramp for O.T. ? You have to scam a lot of O.T. to equal the difference!

Why is this still all being debated? I thought the No Direction team was going to solve world hunger?

The reason there's world hunger is because of poor leaders.
Just like we had at district 141, now it's going to take time to
regain sustainable life again. If you and your fellow cheap suites team
had been doing thier job we wouldn't be contradicting the contract and would be spending
time on more important issues. No more thousand dollar suites for you pal.
What do you tell your neighbors when leaving for work, or do you
hide your ramp cloths in your now empty briefcase?

It's good to get the straight dope on what's going on at the other hubs in regards to this.

In PHX, reception of the scanners has not been very enthusiastic and whether or not they're used and if so how thoroughly the bags are scanned is more or less determined by the team lead. Some make an effort to scan every single bag, some set them aside when the gate is shorthanded or the turn is quick, some scan every other bag or so just to say they do it, and some neglect or refuse to do it at all. At least, that's my perception.

Personally, I'm not that crazy about the things because they slow us down, and if I'm alone in the back bin I'm not going to take the time picking up the scanner, scanning, setting down the scanner, and tossing the bag and rinsing and repeating this 120 times, OR throwing out my shoulder because I'm unstacking with one hand and scanning with another. No thank you.

Like NevadaHP was saying, these would have a better chance of succeeding if staffing were increased at each gate so that no one would have to worry about scanning and lifting bags at the same time; people could take turns with the scanning and make sure all of the bags do get scanned.

I worry, and it may be unfounded, but I worry that these scanners may create a sticky scenario in which conflicting directives become mutually exclusive when staffing at the gate is too low. For example, we could get in hot water if the local bags don't reach the carousel in time (or if Conx bags miss) because it took longer to offload due to the scanners, but if we set the scanners aside in order to make the bags on time we can get in hot water for not scanning all the bags. :huh: This remains to be seen.

And finally it'd be nice if we were given more information on how exactly these scanners are supposed to benefit operations on the ramp and company-wide, instead of just being told "it's gonna lower teh MBR, lol". If people think that scanning the bags will make an actual difference in terms of MBR, accuracy, and customer service and are shown how the scanners can bring this about, they'll be more willing to scan. B)

Status
Not open for further replies.