IAM Fleet Service topic

Status
Not open for further replies.
Scanners can be hazardous to your safety. Do not attempt to lift bags with one hand and scan with the other. Use both hands to lift bag after scanning. It takes time and manpower and if the company decides it wants the bags scanned that doesn't mean we take unsafe shortcuts to accomplish this added task. If it takes an extra 15 minutes or so, to load or unload an aircraft so be it. We owe it to ourselves and our families to come home in the same condition as we left. I do not see "hero pay" on the check stub. Also my thanks to the ND08 guys for their efforts and hard work cleaning up the pile that was left by the old regime. Happy Holidays to NH,FO,MH,MC,and JN.

Since this time of the year produces more OJI/light duty assignments, perhaps these folks can be the "designated" scanners... or better yet, next time bids are generated, make some lines for "Bag Scanners"... lol ...

So far these scanners are doing "fair" in the rain. The success rate of getting "all" bags isn't working. We don't seem to get all the gate checked bags that come down the chute at departure time. Unfortunately, these bags are the ones that usually get lost because the tags rip off in transit or deteriorate in the rain. Some scanners are haywire and don't send the scans.

Personally, I'm not that crazy about the things because they slow us down, and if I'm alone in the back bin I'm not going to take the time picking up the scanner, scanning, setting down the scanner, and tossing the bag and rinsing and repeating this 120 times, OR throwing out my shoulder because I'm unstacking with one hand and scanning with another. No thank you.

Here in Vegas the rampers toss the bags out of the bin, the Lead scans them, and the runner puts them on the cart. I do NOT know that this is true, but from what I've heard about PHX, the Lead basically tosses bags, then reports numbers. This goes back to AWA days, but if it still holds true, that's half the problem.

And finally it'd be nice if we were given more information on how exactly these scanners are supposed to benefit operations on the ramp and company-wide, instead of just being told "it's gonna lower teh MBR, lol". If people think that scanning the bags will make an actual difference in terms of MBR, accuracy, and customer service and are shown how the scanners can bring this about, they'll be more willing to scan. B)

The scanners don't improve MBR. They improve accountability and tracking. But that's all right, the companty doesnt' care about MBR anyway. The ACARS update from a couple months ago killed tossing bags on after push. Now that causes the block out to be reset and the ramp is responsible. I for one will let late bags miss instead of being written up for a delay.

Status
Not open for further replies.