IAM Mech. & related thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
better check your Fidelity account, there is no more 401(k)....its all in usairways retirement plan...as of jan 1

better check your Fidelity account, there is no more 401(k)....its all in usairways retirement plan...as of jan 1
You still have your 401k, the company just isn't going to provide any matching funds, so what you put in it is all that will be invested. It has always been a private fund and the company could never touch any of your money. At least that is how it is on the West side of the house.

After reading this board for better than a month, some of you guys need to know the contract better than the MPPM. This is not section six. It is a T/A. You only vote because of the changes to the exsisting agreement. The company could have set this garbage of a contract on us after the IAM won the election.

So if you vote this down , no changes. Live with what you got. Then in 2009 you can go through the process of trying to get something better. BUT it could take till 2012 to get a new contract. All that is needed is the change of ONE word to show progress.

As far as your 2% + 3%. Into your 401K . You need to know ALL the government rules. Or you can lose 40% for early withdraw. Also take that 5% out 5, 10, 20, years. At 12% Then see what that amount is.
Then from that amount you need 7% a year. 3 to live off and 4% to beat inflation and to grow it. I'm way under 5 years left. So I don't care one way or the other. I voted NO the last THREE times. There isn't a future here for Old Guy's. Vote NO or YES.

It is up to you young guys to do more than just pay dues. If YOU want to control ANY union that is here, you must get involved. KNOW the contract and file the grievance. Show some balls, #### in your own nest! Attend the meetings. Run for office/steward. You can't just pay dues to have control of YOUR union.

But you always have to have fun. Later , I'm sooo short this should be a recording !

After reading this board for better than a month, some of you guys need to know the contract better than the MPPM. This is not section six. It is a T/A. You only vote because of the changes to the exsisting agreement. The company could have set this garbage of a contract on us after the IAM won the election.

So if you vote this down , no changes. Live with what you got. Then in 2009 you can go through the process of trying to get something better. BUT it could take till 2012 to get a new contract. All that is needed is the change of ONE word to show progress.

As far as your 2% + 3%. Into your 401K . You need to know ALL the government rules. Or you can lose 40% for early withdraw. Also take that 5% out 5, 10, 20, years. At 12% Then see what that amount is.
Then from that amount you need 7% a year. 3 to live off and 4% to beat inflation and to grow it. I'm way under 5 years left. So I don't care one way or the other. I voted NO the last THREE times. There isn't a future here for Old Guy's. Vote NO or YES.

It is up to you young guys to do more than just pay dues. If YOU want to control ANY union that is here, you must get involved. KNOW the contract and file the grievance. Show some balls, #### in your own nest! Attend the meetings. Run for office/steward. You can't just pay dues to have control of YOUR union.

But you always have to have fun. Later , I'm sooo short this should be a recording !

What will the anti-labor lobby and media make of this? If the TA passes, and the union takes the 401k match as payment to get into their pension plan, this may look bad. A move like this could ruin unionizing efforts. ex: Sign a card, vote a union in, then they come after your 401k benefit to fund their pension plans. Vote NO this TA and help save unionism.

First of all the IAMNPF is seperate from the IAM it is run by the Trustees appointed by the companies participating in it and the IAM.

The union wont take the 5%, the company will cease paying it and contribute to the IAMNPF for each member.

First of all the IAMNPF is seperate from the IAM it is run by the Trustees appointed by the companies participating in it and the IAM.

So...... the Union Trustees are the General Secretary and Treasurer, and four GVP's , I assume all from the Grand Lodge. Well, that certainly is separate from the IAM. I feel better now.

After lurking here for the better part of 6 years, I thought it was time to post. Especially since this upcoming Transition Agreement could possible be one of the most important votes of all our careers.

Listen and read Old Guy's post some posts back. This post contains a lot of wisdom gleaned from years of experience. I can tell, because I'm there too. With better than 30 years, I'm an Old Guy too.

To everyone on the Maintenance and Related side, it's time to get mad, and get involved. The worst thing you could be, in the companies and the unions eyes, is uninformed. Read the T/A. Read the current AWA IBT created contract. Read the current bankruptcy created IAM contract and make an informed decision. We are all Old Guys here. And with the average age in the 50's, there is not much time left here for many of us.

Also in his post, Old Guy mentions the section 6 negotiations scheduled to start in 2009. One year away, that's all. Use that information and think about that carefully before you vote for an agreement that will take you until 2012 minimum, until we, or those who are left here, begin section 6 negotiations again.

Also with the announcement today that the Delta-Northwest merger may get the "go ahead" (msn.com money), one must think very seriously about giving up the COC down the road in exchange for a few percent raise now. Merger frenzy is going to hit everyone fast and furiously real soon. And I see the company foaming at the mouth to rid themselves of this dirty little problem of theirs called the COC.

And, please everyone on the Maintenance side, we HAVE to support our ramp people. They too are involved in the fight of their careers. I am so proud of how much they are unified and solidified and involved in their current New Direction fight. I just wish the Mechanics had half the solidarity that the ramp people have. Apathy and lack of solidarity is the killer of all things union. Don't let it happen to us.

Finally, (since it's my first post), I have read almost every one of 700UW's posts. Almost all 12,000 or so of them. Even back to the days it was LavMan, or some such moniker. I find this person to be a strong, involved union person. Something that is truly lacking on the Maintenance side. But.......... this person has no dog in this fight, and as someone posted earlier, beware of ulterior motives. I myself admire his tenacity, but have decided until after April 3rd, to place his comments on ignore.

Thanks for reading, and get mad, get involved, and get out and vote!

I'm so sorry I have to post this comment because I feel Mr. Chandlee believes in the IAM' fight. But, it is a new fight in rights for workers in America. And we should be compensated FIRST! After all! This is the mightest of countries and we will not lower ourselves to equate us to a GENERAL POOL OF WORKERS!

AMERICA SETS THE STANDARD FOR THE WORKERS! And we are not second class citizens!

"I hope you and your family are well. As you know we will be in Transition Agreement talks with the company next week. I am quite aware of the length of time this TA is taking and the loss of income all are enduring. Now as before our goal is make a level playing field between both west and east and to achieve additional pay, job security and benefits to the IAM agreement, rather than a sraight transition from west to east. I feel this is the right way to go. Hopefully, with the Mechanic's TA , it will be a springboard for Fleet to get a fair and equitable TA. I pray, that through these upcoming TA negotiations, even though they may not be everything, to everybody, all the time, for every situation, that they will provide the membership a TA that most will find acceptable until we enter Traditional Section 6 negotiations.
----- Original Message ----- In Solidarity,
Bill Chandlee"
To: Bill Chandlee
Sent: Wednesday, March 26, 2008 6:57 PM
Subject: What is going on?

I'm so sorry I have to post this comment because I feel Mr. Chandlee believes in the IAM' fight. But, it is a new fight in rights for workers in America. And we should be compensated FIRST! After all! This is the mightest of countries and we will not lower ourselves to equate us to a GENERAL POOL OF WORKERS!

AMERICA SETS THE STANDARD FOR THE WORKERS! And we are not second class citizens!

"I hope you and your family are well. As you know we will be in Transition Agreement talks with the company next week. I am quite aware of the length of time this TA is taking and the loss of income all are enduring. Now as before our goal is make a level playing field between both west and east and to achieve additional pay, job security and benefits to the IAM agreement, rather than a sraight transition from west to east. I feel this is the right way to go. Hopefully, with the Mechanic's TA , it will be a springboard for Fleet to get a fair and equitable TA. I pray, that through these upcoming TA negotiations, even though they may not be everything, to everybody, all the time, for every situation, that they will provide the membership a TA that most will find acceptable until we enter Traditional Section 6 negotiations.
----- Original Message ----- In Solidarity,
Bill Chandlee"
To: Bill Chandlee
Sent: Wednesday, March 26, 2008 6:57 PM
Subject: What is going on?

This has nothing to do with the M&R group :down: :angry: :down: :angry:

Old guy, welcome to the forum, but I'm going to have to correct you on one point.. The amendable date for the current contract is Dec 31st 2009 at midnight and according to the contract talks are not to be schueduled until 6 months after that. So that makes it June of 2010. It takes an average of no less than 3 years to complete, that makes it at a minimum of june 2013. That's 5 YEARS plus from now.

Now, I think everyone on this board agrees that there is a new merger on the horizon, and the complany is just waiting to settle it's labor disbutes until it announces it (labors disbutes are a liability when it comes to mergers). Do you really thing that we will get to section 6 neg. ? I firmly believe we will be voting or involved in another T/A with a different airline long before we ever get to that point.

As for the COC, it's useless, and the company knows how to get around it even if it's left in. So it's not even worth arguing that point.

Do we take the money and run, or gamble that the company has a better offer? Watch the news and tell me what the economy is doing. Do we trust the IAM pension fund? Hard to say, it's hard to trust the union anymore. But I beleive that this is better than what we are currently working under (for the east at least). And you west guys think you're getting the screws put to you? Well, you are, but not like it's been put to us east Mechanics. We all knew this wasn't going to be pretty and it ain't and I'm still on the fence. In the 23 years that I've been with this company I've never voted for a contract yet and I've never let my check book vote for me, but this T/A is a one pitch ball game, so be smart and vote with your head not your emotions, read the facts, talk to people who were at the informational meetings... Then vote........

I have to correct you the CBA becomes amendable under the RLA 60 days prior to the amendable date.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts