if you didn't send in recall letter your done

airhead

May 23, 2006
first time i ever posted here, but i've been getting info from all you for awhile now. anyways, i guess it's true then, if you didn't send in your recall letter , even if you were not the first 200, you were considered to have resigned. just wondering how many people this affected, and if there was anything they were going to do about it? what a way to get rid of people. anyway, hi to all, i'm looking forward to posting with all you. :)

welcome to the boards. i wont comment on this as I dont know how it works in each department, except to an extent, the fleet service

Are you saying that you or somebody you know received a letter stating they were removed from the seniority list because they did not respond?

This topic was already discussed at length previously. I'm not a US employee, but as I understand it, it is part of the US Airways f/a contract that if you do not respond to a recall letter, you are assumed to have refused recall and are removed from the recall list. At least, the US f/as have the ability to "pass" on the recall. But, you have to let the company know that you are passing. No response does not equal pass, it equals refusal. We don't have that at AA. If recalled, you have to come back or be removed from the list.

Some furloughed f/as seemed to be upset because the recall letter did not state this even though it is not the company's responsibility to see that the f/a understands their own contract. Others seemed to think it was the union's responsibility to remind them that they had to respond to the letter.

If I misunderstood the previous discussion, I'm sure someone will correct me. :lol:

This topic was already discussed at length previously. I'm not a US employee, but as I understand it, it is part of the US Airways f/a contract that if you do not respond to a recall letter, you are assumed to have refused recall and are removed from the recall list. At least, the US f/as have the ability to "pass" on the recall. But, you have to let the company know that you are passing. No response does not equal pass, it equals refusal. We don't have that at AA. If recalled, you have to come back or be removed from the list.

Some furloughed f/as seemed to be upset because the recall letter did not state this even though it is not the company's responsibility to see that the f/a understands their own contract. Others seemed to think it was the union's responsibility to remind them that they had to respond to the letter.

If I misunderstood the previous discussion, I'm sure someone will correct me. :lol:

Jim,

Consider yourself corrected! The company sent two sets of letters. The first was to the most senior invols notifying them of an impending recall. According to the contract, an invol can pass as long as there is an invol junior to them who can slot in. The second set of letters was to all invols informing them of a "possible" recall. This latter communication is not sanctioned by the contract, i.e., not legal! The contract, in no way, shape, or form, allows the company to consider lack of a response to an unsanctioned "possible" recall letter a resignation! Of course, our brilliant east MEC prez says nothing about this. He only takes action when something affects him personally.

But it's not just him. Pat Friend doesn't respond to e-mails either, unless it involves the NWA vote. That's all she's working on these days!

So thanks, AFA and Mike Flores, for allowing hundreds of invols to be removed from the seniority list without so much as a whimper from you. My heart bleeds that your space poz travel was taken away... NOT!

zarah, the answer to your question is yes, i did recieve a letter stating that i was no longer on the f/a senority list, or something of that matter. i'm in school right now, so it really does not effect me. i know if people really wanted to come back they should have sent in the letter, it just seems really sad that some really good f/a's are now out of a job because of one letter. with all the crap we all have been through with this co. it is just a shame some have to add onto the pile with this. BTW, the original letter i recieved was for a possible recall, so, just to let everyone know, it does not just effect the first 200. it was for all letters? does anyone know if they can do anyting about this? it seems kinda fishy!

zarah, the answer to your question is yes, i did recieve a letter stating that i was no longer on the f/a senority list, or something of that matter. i'm in school right now, so it really does not effect me. i know if people really wanted to come back they should have sent in the letter, it just seems really sad that some really good f/a's are now out of a job because of one letter. with all the crap we all have been through with this co. it is just a shame some have to add onto the pile with this. BTW, the original letter i recieved was for a possible recall, so, just to let everyone know, it does not just effect the first 200. it was for all letters? does anyone know if they can do anyting about this? it seems kinda fishy!

Were they not already out of a job. :huh:

yeah. i see what your saying. i guess they really weren't working for us at the time. i just meant that it was sad to have so many f/a's let go, to never be able to return. but thats just me.

If the removal was a violation of the contract, and your union does nothing about it, you have a DFR (Duty of Fair Representation) complaint you can file against the union under the Railway Labor Act. You can then also file civil complaint against the company for violating the contract. However, there is a time limit. If no one removed illegally does not file a complaint within a certain time period, it is assumed that you accept and agree with the actions of the company and the union.

Are there people that want to come back that didn't send their letter in? Or are we arguing this to make a point? If the union doesn't file a grevience then nobody must have complaned that was affected. Or does the union suck :p .

thanks for the info everyone. i know this was all talked about before, but now since it is fact i just wanted to know if there were steps that could be taken. i just hope if there is some wrong doing, that it can be corrected. it seems to me like the co. should follow procedure as far as the contract is concerned. then again the letter clearly stated what would happen if you did not reply. i guess if this is a contract thing i hope someone can can do something, because even though it may not be worth much(to mgmt) it is our contract, and if we allow them to continue to fudge it here and there then we all may be in for a world of s**t!

i guess if this is a contract thing i hope someone can can do something, because even though it may not be worth much(to mgmt) it is our contract, and if we allow them to continue to fudge it here and there then we all may be in for a world of s**t!

You've got that right. There is a principle in labor law called "the practice of the shop." Regardless of what a union contract says, if the union routinely allows the company to do something which is a violation of the contract--say for instance, the company frequently flies reserves more hours than the contract allows--then the "shop practice" takes precedence over the contract language. In fact, the shop practice invalidates that part of the contract.

No, I'm not a labor lawyer, but I play one on TV. :lol:

(Actually, I have a close friend who IS a labor lawyer who tells me this stuff.)

This topic is being argued by an AA employee and an ex employee that does not want to return...weird. Is there anyone who has a dog in this fight please chime in lol.

...Or does the union suck :p .

The union, under its current leadership, sucks. Pat Friend is more concerned right now about representing NWA than about anything that goes on within the ranks of the current AFA-represented carriers. She has been in office waaaayy to long. Mike Flores is too concerned with his protecting his own issues than the issues of anyone junior to him.

Back