Now or Never Recalls for East Pilots

Phoenix

Veteran
Apr 16, 2003
Visit site
It is official. The company has hit the bottom of the recall list and have at least a hundred positions still unfilled. One hundred certified letters are being sent out to the bottom of the recall list (who of course recently passed on recall) to announce that they must accept recall now or be removed from the seniority list forever. The company will issue additional letters if all the recipients do not accept. Ironically, of about 1800 pilots, only about 300 felt that returning was a better option than whatever else they have moved on to in the last five years. It will interesting to see if that will change as they go up the list for the "last call."

Additionally, there have been a significant number of no-shows to classes that were accepted. Most have moved on from flying and would consider it a hoot to frame any letter the company might send to them saying they are fired for failure to show. (Along with the copy of their resignation letter that they mailed in the day class started.) I wonder if this trend will increase.

One additional irony, in the July classes they are training recallees to the B767 and AB330. Would it be sortta funny if the Nicko Award was put into effect after the furloughed pilots on the very bottom of the list are sitting in the AB330 FO seat, not to be bumped or flushed for 20 years until they retire.

Would it be sortta funny if the Nicko Award was put into effect after the furloughed pilots on the very bottom of the list are sitting in the AB330 FO seat, not to be bumped or flushed for 20 years until they retire.
Funny or not that's the way it goes.

One additional irony, in the July classes they are training recallees to the B767 and AB330. Would it be sortta funny if the Nicko Award was put into effect after the furloughed pilots on the very bottom of the list are sitting in the AB330 FO seat, not to be bumped or flushed for 20 years until they retire.
What you're talking about is a displacement fence, where a pilot from one side can't displace a pilot from the other side for some period of time, something that's non-existent in the award. Such a fence was part of the US/PI award.

No bump means that a pilot can't use only his "new" seniority number to lay claim to a junior pilot's job, i.e. pilot A can't just take pilot B's job merely because pilot A is senior on the combined list.

No flush means that every job in the airline can't be put up for bid after the combined list takes effect, i.e. a bid where no pilot holds a job and every pilot has to bid for a job based on their "new" seniority number.

Normal bidding movement (vacancy and displacement) will be governed by whatever mechanisms are contained in a combined contract and seniority in the absence of any conflicting language in the award (like the "top tier" East pilots having dibs on widebody vacancies).

Jim

What you're talking about is a displacement fence, ...

Yeah, yeah I know, Boeing Boy. It was sort of a joke.

The truth is that the AB330 positions are plus ups for the summer and will likely go away with the end of the season. But consider, it is not beyond the possibility that there will be enough retirements out of the top half of the AB330 list (and many other desirable vacancies), that the attrition could effectively protect a small number of very junior pilots hanging onto the bottom of the FO list on any equipment type.

But the real white elephant in the room is the fact that ALPA and the company have been complicit in the destruction of a profession to the point that 1500 furloughed pilots won’t “re-marryâ€￾ the pig that tries to sing like a swan but can’t even beg, borrow, or steal a little lipstick or rouge. :lol:

Yeah, yeah I know, Boeing Boy. It was sort of a joke.
Sorry - sometimes I need a "smiley" to get the intent.....

As for the attritions, you may well be right although it depends on what everyone bids as always. The 330 F/O's need to worry about what the junior 737 capt will do as those 7 airplanes go away during the remainder of the year.

Jim

But the real white elephant in the room is the fact that ALPA and the company have been complicit in the destruction of a profession to the point that 1500 furloughed pilots won’t “re-marryâ€￾ the pig that tries to sing like a swan but can’t even beg, borrow, or steal a little lipstick or rouge. :lol:

That is, indeed, something astounding. Think about what it means. Out there in the industry at any given time young pilots would fall all over one another for the opportunity to go fly for a major. 1500 people (myself included) have elected not to return.

Honestly, I can't even believe that i've said "no" to that recall letter 3 times now. You guys have no idea. US Airways is all I have ever known since I was a little boy. All I ever wanted to do was follow in my father's footsteps and fly for that company. I remember my father being SO PROUD of his company that our family cars had GIANT "USAir" decals in the back windshield.

I remember when he upgraded in the 727 and brought home a picture of the airplane for me because he was SO PROUD of that machine.

I remember going out to PIT with my father to see the very first 737-300 in USAir colors.

I remember January 18th, 1999 and believing that it was the greatest day of my life to have been hired by my fathers company. I have never in my life been so proud to wear a uniform.

I remember the very last flight in March of 2002, with my wife in the back, walking to the employee lot for the last time and fighting back tears.

What a 5 years. I flew Dorniers for PSA for a year. Somehow somebody talked me into leaving there to go fly for Comair. But you just can't go back to the commuters again once you have flown for a major. Every trip in an RJ made me feel as though I had failed. Today I fly corporate jets for a large company. It's a great job and i'm treated very well... but this isn't what I wanted to to, or wanted to be. If I say "no" to a recall, will I kick myself for another 25+ years? Will I always wonder "what if"? Will I come to resent my decision?

I was sure I would go back as soon as they called. I mean why am I here on US Aviation? Why have I day after day for 5 years watched this airline to see when the recalls might come? I can not begin to imagine how hard it is going to be to send that resignation letter.

I imagine it will feel as though I've failed to succeed in a dream that I've had since I was a child. Pilots don't have much in the way of a legacy. We don't leave anything to the generations to follow. But somehow I thought that building a successful career at US Airways, just as my father did before me, would be a continuation of his proud legacy.

I had sincerely hoped that there would be some watershed event that would make the decision easy. I wanted to see a US Airways that was so successful and had become so powerful that going back just made sense. I wanted the decision to be a no-brainer. But whatever decision I make, I have to live with. If I choose to go back I have to explain to my wife how commuting to Philly to sit reserve or fly 4-day trips for less money than I make today is a smart move. I'm not sure I could even convince myself, much less my wife.

Boy I wish this was easy. I know for some folks it is. The sad part is, for them it was just a job. For me it was something I had grown up with -- like family.

Best of luck to all of the furloughees as, after 5 years, we finally face a real decision. Take it. Or leave it.

That is, indeed, something astounding. Think about what it means. Out there in the industry at any given time young pilots would fall all over one another for the opportunity to go fly for a major.

The hard reality is that USAir is not a major anymore. The Butkovic divisor has been affecting the quotient of this equation too long. If it was a major almost all furloughees would return.

Of the 300 pilots that returned I can’t imagine that any of them did so because they were looking forward to living out a life long dream. If they did, then the next 10 or 15 years of commuting to reserve will wake them up from that dream.

The real question now seems to be which is harder to live with, 1) showing up for indoc to “Butkovic's majorâ€￾, or 2) going to the beach while the certified recall-or-else warning letter gets stamped "return to sender" by the postman.

Enjoy the beach! :D

Additionally, there have been a significant number of no-shows to classes that were accepted. Most have moved on from flying and would consider it a hoot to frame any letter the company might send to them saying they are fired for failure to show. (Along with the copy of their resignation letter that they mailed in the day class started.) I wonder if this trend will increase.

What a great idea! I hope every pilot who gets the call accepts the training slot whether or not he/she has any intent to return. This company has "stuck it" to them with impunity for so long, it's high time they use what little power they have left to return the "favor."

What a great idea! I hope every pilot who gets the call accepts the training slot whether or not he/she has any intent to return. This company has "stuck it" to them with impunity for so long, it's high time they use what little power they have left to return the "favor."

Yeah, wish it was my idea. :lol:

1500 no-shows 20 at a time would make a statement. Not sure what it would mean but it would say something.

Heck, one pilot even laughed and said he was going to take a weeks vaction from work to go back up for the first week of indoc just to test the waters before he makes the final decission. Ya know, like a week later he was gonna decide which was easier, a no-show at either USAir or his current employer. :shock: :lol:

Furloughed;
It sounds like your family has had a long and distinguished history with US Air. If you are still flying, it would appear from your info that you may be with WalMart or Tyson.

I know that it sounds like a load of dung, but I think that the new US Airways can succeed. That, only if Parker can present a contract that lifts up all US Airways pilots to industry standard...not his idea of industry standard.

I'm a commuter for life, so I feel for you about your decision. What ever happens, I wish you the best of luck and blue skys.

I hear that if you no-show they mark you "terminated". Then I have to explain at every job interview for the rest of my life why I was "terminated" from USAir.

Not worth that static to simply to make a point.

I agree if I were still in the flying profession then I wouldn't want a "terminated" on my record, but I haven't seen the inside of a cockpit since my last flight at USAir. Won't/can't go back to flying except through USAir and I just don't see any benefit from abandoning my new opportunities to go backwards five years and gross 50K less. All the while hoping (durning myt many years of reserve) that USAir will someday be what we expected it would be, when we were hired back in the 1900s. But that is just me. Everyone has to look at it for themself.

Its been fun to have flying as a back up profession in the hopper. It would beat standing on the street corner with a cardboard sign. :lol:

Gonna miss the love letters from Ed. Loved getting the ALPA mags all these years. It made me feel loved. :lol:

But truth be known its like having a dog. They only wag their tail cause they think they are gonna get something for nothing from you, sooner or later.

Yep, "Terminated" would sum it up just about right... but the letter would be late, because my ALPA dues were terminated about five years ago. :lol:

That is, indeed, something astounding. Think about what it means. Out there in the industry at any given time young pilots would fall all over one another for the opportunity to go fly for a major. 1500 people (myself included) have elected not to return.

But you just can't go back to the commuters again once you have flown for a major. Every trip in an RJ made me feel as though I had failed.

Best of luck to all of the furloughees as, after 5 years, we finally face a real decision. Take it. Or leave it.

Wow, FA this was a nice post. It continues to amaze me that our stories/thoughts are so similar, although USAir was never on my radar until the late 90's. When we finally meet face to face I practically expect to see my twin. If that happens you will have my sympathy :p

You can go back to the commuters, but it is extremely difficult and the feelings of failure (I prefer a more vicitimized "gross underemployement" :blink: ) are very difficult to swallow. The really amazing and sad thing is that I think I'm probably going to resign from LCC and stay at Eagle. I simply cannot imagine signing on at America West as basically a newhire and intending to commute for 20-25 years! I'd rather have a decent QOL, see my girls grow up, and forego having any spare cash I think. I wish I was willing to move but that just isn't the case. Someone else said it well that it would be a beating just to come back and commute to PHL for reserve for a long while, and then comes another merger and it's "hello again street"! So now I'm thinking just resign and let the poolies have that A330 or 757 slot (I'd sooo love to fly the 757 but I guess it ain't gonna happen).

Maybe they won't make it back up to me on this bid and I can get another few months reprieve from the decision. Good luck to everyone on the property and those trying to make this decision. Hopefully it will work out for us all this time around.

Latest posts