Transcon service standards

( but please tell me that people do not actually cut their toenails on a flight ).

They do. It's gross.

On the flip side, US really must concentrate on restoring their brand identity. They have a horrible reputation, and despite arguments that most people buy the cheapest ticket, I know people (and I am not talking about elites, either) who absolutely refuse to fly them because of the events which have transpired over the past 2 years or so. They are losing a fortune in potential business from people who will no longer even consider flying US. They need to fix their reputation NOW, not when (if?) fuel prices go down.

In spite of all the negative hubbub that has gone down between US and me since my departure last summer, I still feel a sense of loyalty to the company. It's hard to shake that, and I've still got quite a few friends who depend on US for their income.

I'll put up with US' shoddy service for a quick jaunt, say GSO-PHL. For my trans-cons, or really anything over an hour, and certainly anything trans-con, I've taken my business elsewhere. The service is so inconsistent, even when it's delivered as it should be, it's just not good anymore. It's not necessarily the employees' fault. They're just working with what they have and with half-baked procedures. You can see the embarrassment on the faces of the East people accustomed (even in the leaner days, up until right before the DP-ization) to holding their heads high and pushing through with a half-way decent product.

No more. The feeling of embarrassment eventually turns to resentment, and it's impossible to hide.

It's funny how much AA stuff I can incorporate into daily life. That bit about resentment practically oozes from the "Big Book."

Maybe we should start a 12-Step program for airline employees? What would we call it?

"Hi. My name is David B., and I'm a recovering Airline Employee. It's been 30 days since my last pay cut."

Maybe we should start a 12-Step program for airline employees? What would we call it?

"Hi. My name is David B., and I'm a recovering Airline Employee. It's been 30 days since my last pay cut."

Hey....maybe each customer (or former customer) who posts on this board can sponsor a recovering airline employee. I'll be your sponsor, NCFL!! :)

Anybody else?

What - if any - coach service standards are there for transcons? The following was observed
last week:
First flight: PHL-LAX mid day A321 (full flight).
Headset sale followed by in flight cafe sales and full bev service. Trash pickup. Coffee refills and water during the movie (other drinks on request). F/As made two or three passes through cabin to see if anyone need anything. Second full bev service about 3.5 hrs into the flight followed bay coffee and water refills. Final trash pickup.

Second flight: another mid day A321, also full.
Headset sale followed by in flight cafe sales and full bev service. Trash pick up.
No coffee / water refills during movie. A request for coffee from a passing F/A (one of the few times an F/A was seen) was answered with "No, the seat belt sign is on" (as it had been for the bev svc...very light chop).
One hour prior to landing a water service only was offered. Again, a request for coffee; reponse "were only offering water". Trash pick up.

I rarely fly US mainline and it's been a while since my last transcon, so I do not know which of the above two examples is more common. But I cannot believe that it's normal to only have one full bev svc on a daytime transon flight.

Before the flames start - I am only asking what the standards are suppossed to be. For all I know, the second crew was sticking with the program more than the first one.

Does any of this really matter anymore? As of August 1 there is no service - only a vending machine on wheels that the FA's push down the aisle - so what does it matter what the "service standard" is today?

After August 1 the only way to get something to drink is to pay for it - so if you want to know the service standard you should have asked how many times they are going to come down the aisle trying to sell stuff on a trans con flight after August 1.

It really is going to be quite funny when you think about it - buy a "choice seat" for $14 - pay $15 to check a bag - the boarding video is now an advertisement for USAirways Vacations - then after you take off you pay $5 for a headset - $2 for soda - $7 for a meal - open the tray table to find an advertisement - read the USAirways magazine which is one big Vegas ad - then the FA's will try to get you to sign up for a credit card - then pay another $1 for a bottle of water - at least there will be lot's of activity in cabin to help take your mind off the fact that your knees are in your chest because they have put the seats so close together since AWA took over.

That adds up to $44 on "ala-carte" items - multiply that for a family of four - wow - Disney is looking cheap!

So there is your service standard for Trans-con flights!

Speaking of service levels when is the last time anyone witnessed a crew from ANY base do an oj/coffee service before arriving on the east coast after a redeye? You'd be VERY hard pressed. :lol:

As hard as it is for US crews, the fine folks at CO and UA don't seem to have a problem with multiple juice/water runs on a red-eye and a coffee service too on UA.

Hey....maybe each customer (or former customer) who posts on this board can sponsor a recovering airline employee. I'll be your sponsor, NCFL!! :)

Anybody else?

I'll sponsor Debbie. She needs all the help she can get. VJ can have Floyd. That gurl needs a man to kick his butt into shape.