Transcon service standards

Aug 20, 2002
www.usaviation.com
What - if any - coach service standards are there for transcons? The following was observed
last week:
First flight: PHL-LAX mid day A321 (full flight).
Headset sale followed by in flight cafe sales and full bev service. Trash pickup. Coffee refills and water during the movie (other drinks on request). F/As made two or three passes through cabin to see if anyone need anything. Second full bev service about 3.5 hrs into the flight followed bay coffee and water refills. Final trash pickup.

Second flight: another mid day A321, also full.
Headset sale followed by in flight cafe sales and full bev service. Trash pick up.
No coffee / water refills during movie. A request for coffee from a passing F/A (one of the few times an F/A was seen) was answered with "No, the seat belt sign is on" (as it had been for the bev svc...very light chop).
One hour prior to landing a water service only was offered. Again, a request for coffee; reponse "were only offering water". Trash pick up.

I rarely fly US mainline and it's been a while since my last transcon, so I do not know which of the above two examples is more common. But I cannot believe that it's normal to only have one full bev svc on a daytime transon flight.

Before the flames start - I am only asking what the standards are suppossed to be. For all I know, the second crew was sticking with the program more than the first one.

DCMS,

You raise two issues here....

First, if the second crew WAS following the appropriate service standards, how sad is that?

Secondly, if this is the case, why would ANYONE want to fly a US transcon?

Unfortunately, this is a good illustration of either lowering the bar below the acceptable point, OR having a disenchanted crew, just doing the minimum or less, and not caring about providing an acceptable experience to the customer. In either case it's a problem, don't you think??

My ONLY trip on US over the past 13 months was a mixed bag overall, but the crews themselves reminded me how much I really do miss my friends at US Airways.....too bad the arrogance and contempt for the high yield flyer of US management won't let me even consider coming back.

:lol: Ok here goes. The transcon service flow for East aircraft (as we are STILL separate) is as follows.

1. Headset sales
2. BOB/beverage service push/pull with meal cart no more than 6 rows from bev cart. (Most will fly through with meals and start drinks from the back to meet in the middle).
3.clear in
4. Coffee/water service.
5. clear in
6. Periodic checks through cabin
7. 90 minutes prior to landing offer bull beverage service
8. clear in
9. Prepare cabin for arrival.

I cannot tell you how many times I have witnessed ONE beverage service on a transcon only to hear a f/a say that the passengers don't need more than that or the company cut pay/benefits so they cut service. This will usually come from the SAME flight attendant that will crack 5 cans of Diet Coke or two bottles of water as the passengers turn into prunes.

Note*** the service is only a push/pull and 90 minute out service for red eye flights. Good luck on finding a crew that does oj/coffee before landing.

I'm with Art here DCMS...and I know you asked for F/A input...and I'm not trying to "flame away"....

But why would someone actually chose US to fly transon?

I just bought PVD-ABQ-PVD and bought CO on the way out and WN on the way home. WN!!!

CO because thats my preferred carrier and WN because....I just don't wanna fly with US any more....and the schedule ended up being a little better anyway.

I checked US, for $hits and giggles...and the funny part was, it was $175 more per ticket (had to but two tix) then WN "Business Select" and WN was actually more money then CO....oddly enough. Ultimately, I would have flown CO, but the times made it completely undoable.

WN's service (and seat pitch) is much, much better then US in coach. Why fly US on transcon? Unless you KNOW you can get the upgrade??? Even then, I'm good with eating at the restaurant just outside of security in ABQ and then flying....thus negating the need for a crappy meal and plastic cups in US "Faux" First Class.

The ONLY reason you fly US in Transcon is because you have no choice.

Speaking of "service standards" can someone answer a question for me that Ask Inflight can't seem to answer? Why does it take so long for the company to work with training and development and POOF create a new service flow for short haul, medium haul and transcon service so the East and West can do the same G'damn thing? We'll find a cure for cancer or colonize Mars before we see this. Write it out, check it twice and send the memo to everyone. My goodness. JUST DO IT! ! ! We'll B!tch about and hack it to death but just get the service merged. :rolleyes:

Well designing a service flow and printing a copy for all f/a's seems to be quite simple for inflight. You have on domestic anywhere from 2 to 4 flight attendants minus the occasional 767 flying around to sju or the A330. It's not even a logistics snafu. Just write it out and send it to the masses. HERE...this is the service flow Aug.1. Simple.

Well designing a service flow and printing a copy for all f/a's seems to be quite simple for inflight. You have on domestic anywhere from 2 to 4 flight attendants minus the occasional 767 flying around to sju or the A330. It's not even a logistics snafu. Just write it out and send it to the masses. HERE...this is the service flow Aug.1. Simple.
Amen! How hard could it be? Besides, we all know that most f/as (on any airline) will ignore it anyway; so, how accurate does it need to be. :lol:

I'm with Art here DCMS...and I know you asked for F/A input...and I'm not trying to "flame away"....

But why would someone actually chose US to fly transon?

I just bought PVD-ABQ-PVD and bought CO on the way out and WN on the way home. WN!!!

CO because thats my preferred carrier and WN because....I just don't wanna fly with US any more....and the schedule ended up being a little better anyway.

I checked US, for $hits and giggles...and the funny part was, it was $175 more per ticket (had to but two tix) then WN "Business Select" and WN was actually more money then CO....oddly enough. Ultimately, I would have flown CO, but the times made it completely undoable.

WN's service (and seat pitch) is much, much better then US in coach. Why fly US on transcon? Unless you KNOW you can get the upgrade??? Even then, I'm good with eating at the restaurant just outside of security in ABQ and then flying....thus negating the need for a crappy meal and plastic cups in US "Faux" First Class.

The ONLY reason you fly US in Transcon is because you have no choice.
It's all point A to point B....airlines are now just bus service in the sky....

It's all point A to point B....airlines are now just bus service in the sky....

Spoken like someone who truly has not experienced CO or AS in F....or in Y for that matter....

And the beautiful part is....US and NK will be the only two that have lowered the bar enough to require that even a drink or a pillow costs extra.

Question is, when will US install coin-ops on the lav doors??? That can't be too far down the road, now, can it?

And when WN is kicking US around like an Orka Whale beats up on a sea lion or a seal, how much like "bus service" will WN be???

As I said in an earlier post, a MAJOR problem with the Sand Fleas that have infested The Sand Castle is, I doubt they've ever actually purchased an aviation product to see how far behind they are. I doubt anyone of the Sand Fleas got on an airplane to see how clean other airlines were...they just got sick and tired of EVERYONE sending them pics....and I loved the pilot I heard challenging, I think Sand Flea-1...or one of the top Sand Fleas...either 1, 2 or 3...."how would you like it if your work envoronment and office were this disgusting?" and then he handed him pics.

Well, you guys think the service is bad NOW!!!!!!! Wait until we start "selling". PIT/CLT or CLT/MCO or similar length flights.

"Ladies and Gentleman, if you would like to purchase a beverage on this short flight... Please see a flight attendant in the rear galley. And you must have exact change. We cannot break a 20 for everybody. Enjoy the flight."

What a bunch of morons!!!!!!

I personally believe US managment has been wanting to charge for drinks, bags, ect. for a long time and were just waiting for the right time to introduce it. I dont see how selling drinks is going to save an airline from BK..there just isn't enough money to be saved/made in that dept.

I personally believe US managment has been wanting to charge for drinks, bags, ect. for a long time and were just waiting for the right time to introduce it. I dont see how selling drinks is going to save an airline from BK..there just isn't enough money to be saved/made in that dept.

EXACTLY right....

They knew they were going to fly US Airways into the crapper for a long, long time and sully the US Airways name.

Congratulations to the Sand Fleas infesting the Sand Castle...mission accomplished!

Next up....will it work....I say, "doubtful."

While a agree that airlines should not be expected to offer drinks complimentary I don't understand even with the little nickel and diming of drinks could come CLOSE to erasing the fuel bill. I mean am I alone here. Also as Twice noted...good luck getting your change square on a 1 hour flight when few have exact change. I never thought I'd agree with Mike Flores but after reading that last E-line I'm behind the union saying NO to this 1000%. Have a cashless system in place day 1 of sales or FORGET IT! ! ! Also EACH flight attendant should have their own hand held...again FORGET IT! ! ! Fire my @$$ first. :angry:

By being the only "major" to charge for these items, they will further isolate themselves from the rest of the pack, and the lack of planning for these changes will be evident from the get go. How much will the new charges COST to collect??? No one can answer that, but in US' case I bet a fortune.

There is no way charging for beverages-or bags for that matter could make up the difference in the fuel cost. Fares have to be adjusted to the cost of providing the service. I don't think that oil is going to stay this high forever..it will be higher than it was, but most experts expect the bubble to burst pretty soon....I think they say $100-$110 bbl will be the new norm.

When the price of oil goes down a bit, will any of the fees go away?? Nahhhhh.........

They are writing a new textbook in mismanagement.

By being the only "major" to charge for these items, they will further isolate themselves from the rest of the pack, and the lack of planning for these changes will be evident from the get go. How much will the new charges COST to collect??? No one can answer that, but in US' case I bet a fortune.

There is no way charging for beverages-or bags for that matter could make up the difference in the fuel cost. Fares have to be adjusted to the cost of providing the service. I don't think that oil is going to stay this high forever..it will be higher than it was, but most experts expect the bubble to burst pretty soon....I think they say $100-$110 bbl will be the new norm.

When the price of oil goes down a bit, will any of the fees go away?? Nahhhhh.........

They are writing a new textbook in mismanagement.

Art, so far in the 2 or so years I've had the priviledge of knowing you, I've never known you to say anything other then EXACTLY right....

The above statement/comment leaves your batting average at 1.000.

You're EXACTLY right....