Transcon service standards

They are writing a new textbook in mismanagement.
Naw. They are simply using the same tired technique of stepping over dollars to pick up pennies.

As long as the employees allow that behavior, it will continue, guaranteeing US a place in the bk line.

You, as an employee, do you wish to save your company? Then stop enabling bad behavior.

Yet on Amtrak people willingly pay for drinks, snacks and the like (at a higher cost than what US is going to charge) without complaining one bit.

Uh, somehow I think Art’s company is doing fine since:

1. He doesn’t work for US.

2. He no longer flies US
Could you imagine working for this crappy company? It must be awful. I know it is awful if you are a VFF.

Have a cashless system in place day 1 of sales

Why on earth would they do that?
Having a well though out and executed plan wouldn't be in keeping with Tempe's "FIRE! Oops. AIM! Oh, hey, are you ready yet?" way of doing business.

Instead, they'll throw it out there, see what splashes back or bubbles up, and then figure out how to scrape it off and make it go away while trying to convince the kool-aid drinkers it was a smashing success.

Personally, I'm looking forward to my next transcon - on DL, not US.

My opinion is that the management at US doesnt necessarily think they are going to make a fortune nickel and diming nor do they think that charging for beverages is the savior of the airline, but I bet you they think they are "training the customer" - training the customer to be the kind of customer they want flying on US Airways. I wouldn't be suprised if you worked in Tempe, some executive douchebag has been quoted as saying "We'll train our customers".

News flash... A customer can't be trained. What they are really going to accomplish is, they are going to have customers who retaliate, and act bitter and feel screwed. The same customer will dump soda on the carpets, spit on the table tray, rip up their newspaper into little pieces and throw it on the floor, clip their fingernails and toenails and leave the residue on the floor, etc. Things they are doing already, just worse.

Yet on Amtrak people willingly pay for drinks, snacks and the like (at a higher cost than what US is going to charge) without complaining one bit.
AMTRAK is OK, but you can not check any Luggage in the Northeast. Washington, DC is the 1st station that you are able to check luggage.

My self personally don't mind buying a drink or snack on board. But here is my problem with it, DON'T IMPLEMENT it until they can accept Credit Cards. I do not like to carry cash or anything with me beside a couple of credit cards which I can keep in my pocket. I wonder how much money is lost at the Security Checkpoints each day. And why put the FA's thru hell making change, I see how bad it is with the BOB's. And give the passenger options of paying for luggage on-line when they do on-line check-in. (If it's working). But that is thinking ahead too much for Sandcastle.

I cannot tell you how many times I have witnessed ONE beverage service on a transcon only to hear a f/a say that the passengers don't need more than that or the company cut pay/benefits so they cut service. This will usually come from the SAME flight attendant that will crack 5 cans of Diet Coke or two bottles of water as the passengers turn into prunes.

Note*** the service is only a push/pull and 90 minute out service for red eye flights. Good luck on finding a crew that does oj/coffee before landing.
the reality (albeit a sad one) is that there is a f/a "entitlement eschalon" that will never follow procedure, regardless of how specifically it is laid out. i had to fight to do procedure out of bru last week--8.5 hour flight on the 757, and they wanted to do push/pull?!?!?!? after numerous battles, i finally hung the procedure flipchart in the galley and encouraged my "colleagues" to consult it with any service questions. the same resistance/entitlement nonsense, i suspect, is true for transcon flights. i've started doing pre-departures on my own and regardless of what excuse the 'a' will find to ignore it. it's amazing how significant that initial customer interaction is in setting the tone for the balance of the flight.

as much as i deplore HP management and their anti-customer service sensibilities, nothing will change even if tonight parker wakes up in the middle of an epiphany...and then wakes up kirby at his side and decides that he wants to be pro-employee and pro-customer. the weakest link in the equation is a disenfranchised workforce who can and will do the absolute minimum.

News flash... A customer can't be trained. What they are really going to accomplish is, they are going to have customers who retaliate, and act bitter and feel screwed. The same customer will dump soda on the carpets, spit on the table tray, rip up their newspaper into little pieces and throw it on the floor, clip their fingernails and toenails and leave the residue on the floor, etc. Things they are doing already, just worse.

Okay, I am laughing my a$$ off at myself.... I am not even drinking

I kept looking at your avitar thinking, "What is that?"

I thought it was a set of breasts with pasties on them... lol

It's a dog right? lol

Time to go to bed I think...

the reality (albeit a sad one) is that there is a f/a "entitlement eschalon" that will never follow procedure, regardless of how specifically it is laid out. i had to fight to do procedure out of bru last week--8.5 hour flight on the 757, and they wanted to do push/pull?!?!?!?

Thanks for your views - and for getting the thread back on track.

A silly question for F/As......What exactly is "push pull"...how does it differ from a standard bev svc?

Thanks for your views - and for getting the thread back on track.

A silly question for F/As......What exactly is "push pull"...how does it differ from a standard bev svc?
push/pull: it sounds complicated, but it's not. beverage cart goes out first; meal cart (supposedly) stays within six rows of the meal cart. this insures that meal eating pax, are able to get a drink to wash it down with.
a standard beverage service is solely the beverage cart, allowing the pax to choose what they would like to drink, ideally with a beverage snack (pretzels, etc.). since parker decided to nix a beverage snack so he could make more money, it is just drinks. and i give the can.

:lol: Ok here goes. The transcon service flow for East aircraft (as we are STILL separate) is as follows.

I cannot tell you how many times I have witnessed ONE beverage service on a transcon only to hear a f/a say that the passengers don't need more than that or the company cut pay/benefits so they cut service. This will usually come from the SAME flight attendant that will crack 5 cans of Diet Coke or two bottles of water as the passengers turn into prunes.

Note*** the service is only a push/pull and 90 minute out service for red eye flights. Good luck on finding a crew that does oj/coffee before landing.
In the last week I have done 4 mid-day transcon flights and we have only been getting enough ice for one beverage service. PHL catering comes on and throws a few bags of fresh ice on top of those that are melted and none of the beer/wine is iced down so that needs done and uses at least one bag..........in addition, F/C is getting minimal bags of ice too-----out of the 3 bags in the front galley, one goes to ice down the kit and two are for pax drinks......we're not slacking on our service, we are just not getting the supplies to do our job. You freeze in the back galley so after the first service you turn off the chillers so what's left of the ice melts..........I do what I can with what I have to work with---which is being reduced every time I turn around.

In the last week I have done 4 mid-day transcon flights and we have only been getting enough ice for one beverage service. PHL catering comes on and throws a few bags of fresh ice on top of those that are melted and none of the beer/wine is iced down so that needs done and uses at least one bag..........in addition, F/C is getting minimal bags of ice too-----out of the 3 bags in the front galley, one goes to ice down the kit and two are for pax drinks......we're not slacking on our service, we are just not getting the supplies to do our job. You freeze in the back galley so after the first service you turn off the chillers so what's left of the ice melts..........I do what I can with what I have to work with---which is being reduced every time I turn around.
You are so right! What is up with the lack of ice onboard? I can barely do one full serivice from PHX-OMA on a 319??? :down: The ice is melted, or they throw on dry ice on top of the ice, in which all the ice is frozen, and you can't crush it?! LAS is the worst station, with the smallest bags ever!! I worked a full A320 from LAS-JFK and we barely had enough to do ONE full Beverage!! Complete joke! So we are forced to due water and coffee the rest of the flight! :down: For some reason there are too many beverage support carts placed on the a/c too, WHY? because we don't offer free snacks?? Go figure. :rolleyes: Don't even get me started on the lack of Buy on Board food either!!?????? SOLD OUT BY by row 12!!!!!!!:angry: IF you can't deliver the product, don't bother!