Transcon Service Standard

Since I usually fly jetBlue or redeyes on eastbound transcons, I am no expert on US inflight service standards. Could someone more conversant with topic please tell that it is not normal to have just one beverage service on a daytime transcon? Pleas tell that US has not slipped that far. Please.

What was your flight number?

If you were on a flight numbered 1-699 you were aboard West metal. Flights 700 and up are East metal.

Whether it were a PHX based crew or DCA,PHL or CLT crew makes no difference. The point is it happens A LOT. Not just a little but A LOT. Flight attendants want to take it upon themselves when they want to alter the service. When I hear "we took many cuts so forget it". I say, "Yeah well the service was drastically cut too so your point"? Just do the damn service. Look, many talk about how crappy service is at US and how passengers/employees are treated. Well, something we have control in is making our customer happy onboard the aircraft. How we treat our customer who PAYS OUR BILLS is a direct reflection on the f/a group. Just do the damn service and don't expect passengers to drink one drink and be chained to their seat for five hours. Thats another thing. I get it that you should be seated with your seatbelt fastened but Jesus. YOU sit your big ass in a tiny seat with your knees digging into the seat in front of YOU for five hours. Many can't even sit in a jumpseat. Just sayin'.

Reactions: 6 people
Really don't want to get into the whole East vs West thing. There are good and bad flights on the metal of both sides.

Had a westbound transcon last month on West metal. First time in years that I've scored F/C on a US long haul flight.
It was a great flight - in part because of the return of glassware. I am no wine snob but the stuff jsust does not taste the same out of a plastic party cup. Glassware or not, the flight was made by the F/A. Personable, friendly, humorous. It was almost like the Wolf/Gangwal years in the late 90s when US service really shined. Okay, so no linen or ice cream sundaes, but still a wonderful flight. My seatmate tought so too.

Aside from the rather sparse bav svc, the flight was great, Very personable and proffesional service in the cabin, great PA annoucements from the pointy end. Smooth, ontime flight.

As I said in the OP, I usually fly B6 or US redeyes on eastbound transcons. US could learn from jetBlue. Two full bev and snack services, at least two water and coffee refills, F/As often come through the cabin and make themselves available.

A good friend is a purser/CSD on UAL and flies only transpac. I like the idea of a designated purser/cabin service director to whom any matters, good or bad, can be raised right then and there. I suppose I should have said something, but took the wimpy route and did not.

Reactions: 3 people
I flew CLT-AUA last Thursday and the service was fine. They gave me the can of Ginger Ale, not just a cup full. My only complaint would be the sandwich I bought. Bread fell apart like it was a week old. Needless to say, one bite and it was trashed. Other than that, the crew were friendly, even comical, which made for a decent flight. :D
Get the wrong crew on that flight and you get 12 credit card announcements. Been there, done that, snapped some pics.

Reactions: 3 people
Thank you both for taking the high road.

I don't know if it's taking the high road or just being honest?

I've had some really terrific service from BOTH and sadly equally bad service from BOTH. I think any airlines biggest challenge is to maintain service consistency. One thing with Spirit is everything is for sale and as a result an indirect benefit is is a more standardized service due to the fact that there is much less "Wiggle Room" for F/A's to go off the reservation and create their own service standard. Same to a lesser extent with WN.

When you offer and advertise, you create expectations. If as a company you can't, don't or won't meet your own designed standards/expectations then you have image problems and customer satisfaction numbers that reflect this disconnect.

Reactions: 2 people
I don't know if it's taking the high road or just being honest?

I've had some really terrific service from BOTH and sadly equally bad service from BOTH. I think any airlines biggest challenge is to maintain service consistency. One thing with Spirit is everything is for sale and as a result an indirect benefit is is a more standardized service due to the fact that there is much less "Wiggle Room" for F/A's to go off the reservation and create their own service standard. Same to a lesser extent with WN.

When you offer and advertise, you create expectations. If as a company you can't, don't or won't meet your own designed standards/expectations then you have image problems and customer satisfaction numbers that reflect this disconnect.

You are right, but as I'm sure you know, on this board if there is a problem with service (or anything really), many start pointing fingers at each other saying "well at US" or "at HP we". It is refreshing for someone to call people on it, and say it doesn't matter, the service was not up to snuff, and it should be called out. Seperate contracts or not, the service guidelines are the same.

Reactions: 2 people
You are right, but as I'm sure you know, on this board if there is a problem with service (or anything really), many start pointing fingers at each other saying "well at US" or "at HP we". It is refreshing for someone to call people on it, and say it doesn't matter, the service was not up to snuff, and it should be called out. Separate contracts or not, the service guidelines are the same.

To be very frank, the merger has been an unmitigated disaster from a Frequent Flyer perspective and customer satisfaction perspective as well. This is especially true if you were a Dividend Miles Elite as opposed to a Flight Fund Elite. The customer be damned approach of Doug Parker and Scot Kirby is so obvious that Stevie Wonder could see it.

One of the places it really shows is in the HP hub & a half PHX & LAS. You've bristled when I've called the agents there, when questioned give back the "Stepford Stare"? There is only one real reason for that stare and that is management via fear & intimidation. Why do I mention it? Because one of the drivers of the "I don't give a rat's ass, I'm in the union and I'll do what I want" attitude of certain F/A's is directly related to how Senior Management views and treats them. Offering non-standard service is often the only way an individual can "fight back" and retain some dignity.

I now see this "Stepford" cancer spreading throughout the system, even in PHL and it's direct result of the Management of US Airways which happens to mostly be from the former HP and this is where the whole East-West "thing" starts, at the TOP, not in the crew rooms, gates or jump seats. NO, it starts and could end in Mahogany Row at 1111 Rio Salada Drive, Tempe AZ at Doug Parker's office.

Fact is DP & SK didn't care enough about the employees or customers to bring in the proper change management consultants and allowed the East/West rivalry to fester and boil as short term it saved money. Now as we begin year 6 of this debacle with no resolution in sight with the pilots. Hell, the Queen will return Northern Ireland to the Irish Republic before the pilots have a contract and just to ice the cake Parker has succeeded in demoralizing 30,000 workers to the point where the don't give a crap attitude is visible with crappy service showing on both East & West.

It even effects little old me. If I flew 140 segments a year 135 were on US before the merger. I'd take connecting flights the whole deal because US treated me right and valued my business. Over time the loyalty decreased to the point that as long as the trip is on a Star Alliance Partner I was fine. NOW, I don't care at all, last trip was on DL. Now, as a customer, I'm just like a lot of employees in that I no longer care.

Thank you Doug!! Don't worry I'll send HP Early Retiree over with a fresh 30 rack of Bud light. It's all good :D :lol:

Reactions: 4 people

Latest posts