Joint Statement Of Labor Principles

BoeingBoy

Veteran
Nov 9, 2003
JOINT STATEMENT OF LABOR PRINCIPLES
The management teams at both US Airways and America West Airlines recognize the anxiety and uncertainty created among our valued employees since news of a potential merger surfaced in April, and we sincerely regret that legal constraints prevented us from providing you with more details about our discussions. Now that we have announced our planned merger, we can assure you that we have heard
your requests to be kept informed and we will be as open as possible as this transaction progresses.
The leading question is the obvious one: what will happen to my job if America West is ultimately merged into US Airways? We’ll try to give you our best answer, but please keep in mind that it will take a long time to complete an operational integration and, as we’ve already seen, there’s always the potential for unexpected changes in our industry.

Even once we begin the process of integrating our operations, it’s still hard to say what will happen to anyone’s particular job. For employees in work groups not represented by a collective bargaining agent at either airline, our management teams will be fair to employees at both carriers. Every employee is entitled to be evaluated individually, and there is no presumption that employees of one airline will be favored over the other.

For employees in work groups represented by unions, the question of what will happen to your jobs is even harder for us to answer because so much of what will happen is outside management’s control. Our labor contracts contain different provisions governing how seniority lists will be integrated, and depending on your specific contract, provide for integration in accordance with a particular union’s merger policy or certain “Allegheny Mohawk†seniority integration provisions. We will honor those contractual commitments, and the ultimate outcome of seniority integration will be determined by your collective bargaining representatives as dictated by your contracts.

Although the seniority integration process will be handled by your union representatives, we have every expectation that our unions will honor certain obviously fair and equitab le protocols as they implement their merger policies or Allegheny Mohawk provisions. Specifically, we would expect that no employee who already had been furloughed prior to the merger would be permitted to bump an active employee out of a job. Likewise, we expect our unions will recognize a solution that simply “staples†all employees of one airline to the bottom of the other’s seniority list as unacceptable and unconscionable. To that end, because of seniority differences in some groups, straight seniority integration could have an effect similar to that of stapling employees to the bottom of a seniority list, an outcome that is inconsistent with a fair and equitable protocol. Therefore, some type of proportional integration would seem reasonable. Given our experience working with your union representatives, we do not anticipate they would advocate an integrated seniority list that violates the basic tenets of fairness and equity, and we encourage them to help ease any uncertainty among their members as soon as possible by confirming their intention to work toward seniority integration using these basic principles.

Lastly, although it is extremely important to go through the proper process of integrating seniority lists, dragging seniority integration out for an unnecessarily long period of time is not in anyone’s best interest. It is distracting to employees, and to customers who contemplate flying with the new US Airways. A thoughtful, deliberate but timely resolution will help everyone move forward with greater certainty, even if expectations are not always met.

We will provide updates about the proposed merger as soon as we can, while continuing to be honest about what we can’t predict. We truly believe this proposed merger is in the best interests of employees at both airlines, and we will work hard to provide you with information as we move towards a combined airline that has a great future ahead.

Sincerely,

Doug Parker
Bruce R. Lakefield

The ALPA released this gem a little bit ago:

Press Release Source: America West Airlines unit of the Air Line Pilots Association

ALPA America West Pilots Respond to Management's Agreement to Merge with US Airways

Thursday May 19, 6:31 pm ET

PHOENIX, May 19 /PRNewswire/ -- Captain JR Baker, chairman of the America West Airlines unit of the Air Line Pilots Association, made this statement today following America West's (NYSE: AWA - News) announcement that it will merge with US Airways.

"Protecting and defending the careers of America West pilots are our top priorities.

In 1997, we saw the potential for a transaction in our future and were determined not to be caught behind the power curve if our company was involved in an agreement. The AWA pilots started a separate merger fund to cover all outside expenses, and it has grown substantially during the past eight years.

When news of discussions between America West and US Airways first came to light, we set in motion measures enabling us to more efficiently realize our goals. Our teams are in place, and we are fully prepared to safeguard the careers of America West pilots who put their trust in this union.

In our profession, seniority is everything. To be clear our union's Merger Policy provides for a process and timeframe for events to occur, but does not dictate how two ALPA pilot groups will integrate their seniority lists. Specifics on how the two merge their seniority lists are left up to negotiations between the pilot groups involved; however, if no agreement is reached, a merged list would emerge from a mediation-arbitration process. Clearly, in such discussions with the US Airways pilots, we would view a date- of-hire type of integration as a completely unworkable solution for the America West pilots.

While details of the transaction continue to evolve, we remain focused on our priorities: protecting and defending the career expectations of America West pilots. As such, we will not allow America West management to lose focus on running an efficient airline or forget their commitment of operating in the best interests of the employees.

We are a vital part of America West, and we will not allow our pilots' career expectations to be sacrificed as a result of our airline's success."

The Air Line Pilots Association is the bargaining agent for the more than 1,900 pilots at America West Airlines. Founded in 1931, ALPA is the world's largest pilot union, representing 64,000 pilots at 41 airlines in the United States and Canada. Visit the ALPA website at http://www.alpa.org.

http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/050519/dcth056.html?.v=9

Mergers can be very problematic; I only wish HP still flew its old 747s - a U captain might think they were entitled to fly them. B)

Jim,

Wouldn't it be nice to reach a negotiated list rather than arbitrate?

:)

BoeingBoy said:
Lastly, although it is extremely important to go through the proper process of integrating seniority lists, dragging seniority integration out for an unnecessarily long period of time is not in anyone’s best interest.

We will provide updates about the proposed merger as soon as we can, while continuing to be honest about what we can’t predict. We truly believe this proposed merger is in the best interests of employees at both airlines, and we will work hard to provide you with information as we move towards a combined airline that has a great future ahead.

Sincerely,

Doug Parker
Bruce R. Lakefield
[post="271144"][/post]​

UseYourHead said:
Wouldn't it be nice to reach a negotiated list rather than arbitrate?
[post="271150"][/post]​

If I had my druthers, I'll take fair however it's arrived at. As I said in another thread, my definition of fair is either everyone thinks they were cheated (well, except whoever ends up #1 on the combined list maybe) or no one does.

If we can arrive at that point I'll be happy, no matter how we get there.

Jim

Thas very funny :), I wish they flew 747's too!

I am happy flying the A330, and sincerely want the best for EVERYONE.

This can be a win-win!

About the statement from the AWA MEC, well what do you expect them to say? There folks are nervous, and have not been down this road as we have.

The sun comes tomorrow, there will be a list, it will be "Fair & Equitable."

FWAAA said:

Mergers can be very problematic; I only wish HP still flew its old 747s - a U captain might think they were entitled to fly them. B)
[post="271149"][/post]​

FWAAA said:

[post="271149"][/post]​
How come I never get the warm and fuzzy when I read something put out by ALPA? Before anyone jumps all over me, I've been a member for some years now!

BoeingBoy said:
Specifically, we would expect that no employee who already had been furloughed prior to the merger would be permitted to bump an active employee out of a job.
[post="271144"][/post]​

Boy i bet that sentence is going to raise some attention to a few furloughed F/As

BoeingBoy said:

Specifically, we would expect that no employee who already had been furloughed prior to the merger would be permitted to bump an active employee out of a job. Likewise, we expect our unions will recognize a solution that simply “staplesâ€￾ all employees of one airline to the bottom of the other’s seniority list as unacceptable and unconscionable. To that end, because of seniority differences in some groups, straight seniority integration could have an effect similar to that of stapling employees to the bottom of a seniority list, an outcome that is inconsistent with a fair and equitable protocol.

[post="271144"][/post]​

Hmmmmmmm so he is saying he feels like all furloughed employess should
be stapled to the bottom?? Im not sure if that would work with the F/A union.

Welcome aboard all America West Employees. Hopefully the powers that be will see and understand that the only fair and equitable way to integrate seniority lists is strictly by HIRE DATE. Hire date for everyone, GIT IN WHERE YOU FIT IN, in whatever respective function you are in.

In that light I respectfully submit that if a reassignment of unions evolve, all airport functions should be under one class or craft. For the good of the membership and the airline. That being, customer service and fleet.

cltflyguy said:
Hmmmmmmm so he is saying he feels like all furloughed employess should
be stapled to the bottom?? Im not sure if that would work with the F/A union.
[post="271182"][/post]​
Go back and read it... that's not what it's saying.

the statement said:
"we expect our unions will recognize a solution that simply “staplesâ€￾ all employees of one airline to the bottom of the other’s seniority list as unacceptable and unconscionable. To that end, because of seniority differences in some groups, straight seniority integration could have an effect similar to that of stapling employees to the bottom of a seniority list, an outcome that is inconsistent with a fair and equitable protocol. Therefore, some type of proportional integration would seem reasonable. "

Does anyone else read "proportional integration" to mean that HP employees get a 2 for 1 or 1.5 to 1 advantage in senority over U employees?

Why shouldn't they get that? (AWA 2 for 1 integration)??

US Airways is the one looking for a dance partner..

Be happy you have a job.. Isn't that what you like to preach?

Every single US Airways pilot will not hesitate to bone his counterpart at
AmericaWest.. Thats what is in your future..

US Airways pilots out number the AmericaWest pilots what 4 to one..

They have every right to feel like they are going to get the shaft.. The truth of the
matter.. ALPA will make sure that everyone gets a good hosing so long as the dues money comes in..

AmericaWest pilots, you about to get hosed..

Latest posts