Trip Report CLT to SJU 12/24 returning 12/26

THIS IS THE ONLY BUSINESS THAT GIVES WAY TO MUCH FOR .......FREE.........

Maybe you really aren't a loyal customer. Neiman Marcus gives me "free" stuff. Nordstroms gives me "free" stuff. Banana Republic gives me "free" stuff. My local restaurants give me "free" stuff. My car dealership gives me "free" stuff. Hertz gives me "free" stuff. Starwood gives me "free" stuff. Hilton gives me 'free" stuff. Costco gives me "free" stuff. American Express gives me "free" stuff. I could go on and an on.....

Maybe you really aren't a loyal customer. Neiman Marcus gives me "free" stuff. Nordstroms gives me "free" stuff. Banana Republic gives me "free" stuff. My local restaurants give me "free" stuff. My car dealership gives me "free" stuff. Hertz gives me "free" stuff. Starwood gives me "free" stuff. Hilton gives me 'free" stuff. Costco gives me "free" stuff. American Express gives me "free" stuff. I could go on and an on.....

yes please go on what free stuff..........I reallly would like to know what stuff these companies give you for free

You do get things from being a FF ...free bag check,free trips with miles,free upgrades,go to the top of standby list even when other paying costumer have just had their flight cancel you still go ahead of them if the gate agent does it correctly.

HOW MUCH MORE CAN WE GIVE YOU PLEASE TELL ME BECAUSE I WILL GO DOWN TO MY LOCAL GROCER WHICH BY THE WAY THE IS THE ONLY ONE I GO TO AND TELL I AM NOT GETTING ANYTHING FOR FREE.
THE FF PROGRAM IN THE AVIATION WORLD IS OUT OF CONTROL.

If my local grocer gouged me for buying the last gallon of milk on the shelf by charging me $25 for it, and slapped me with a fee of $5 for picking up a magazine at the checkout line and then changing my mind and putting it back when it's my turn, I would never stop there again unless I got some free stuff out of it.

THE FF PROGRAM IN THE AVIATION WORLD IS OUT OF CONTROL.

Time for my semi-annual post here on USAV. It always takes an inane thread like this one to get me fired up enough to waste ten minutes of my precious life to respond.

Doc -- all I can think of is that you're simply BAITING here on this thread. There can be no way that a logical person could make the sorts of arguments you're making. Are you really that clueless about the perks afforded elite customers in and out of the travel industry?

I'm one who's been travelling too much for nearly 25 years. Starwood gives me their very best hotel room, regardless of what price I paid. More than half the time, I'm in suites and each year I score outrageous suite upgrades with multiple bedrooms -- all for being exceptionally loyal to Starwood for more than a decade. I once got the Presidential Suite at the Westin LAX on a $49 rate. The suite was 1500 ft sq and had two and one half bathrooms.

With few exceptions, domestic airlines offer precisely the same benefits you argue against. In fact, US/HP has, for some time now, offered a lesser product and program to their elite members relative to competition. That's the primary reason that hoardes of previously very loyal customers have simply walked away from the abysmal carrier that US/HP morphed into.

Yes, 85% of the US/HP employees are great, but Tempe has made it clear how they want to run this carrier and it's in the wrong direction if they're looking to entice business travellers.

Doc -- US/HP needs to do EVERYTHING it can to enhance its current offerings, not make reductions in their programs. If they take away much more, the only folks flying the airline will be ma and pa kettles flying to MCO with the grandkids.

<rant off>

I'll post again in six months. See ya then!

What kind of crappy grocery store doesn’t have Buy One – Get One Free specials every week?

My grocery (Harris Teeter in NC) is giving away stuff all the time. My favorite has been the Aerobed. With an 8 year old who has sleepovers all the time, they're great. I've earned four. Plus a lot of other stuff like coolers of various shapes and functions, folding chairs perfect for sitting at my son's soccer and lacrosse games, etc. I've got a garage full of Harris Teeter stuff.

I saved $46 at the store Monday from in-store specials and BOGO just using my "Very Important Customer" card. I call that free.

Time for my semi-annual post here on USAV. It always takes an inane thread like this one to get me fired up enough to waste ten minutes of my precious life to respond.

Doc -- all I can think of is that you're simply BAITING here on this thread. There can be no way that a logical person could make the sorts of arguments you're making. Are you really that clueless about the perks afforded elite customers in and out of the travel industry?

I'm one who's been travelling too much for nearly 25 years. Starwood gives me their very best hotel room, regardless of what price I paid. More than half the time, I'm in suites and each year I score outrageous suite upgrades with multiple bedrooms -- all for being exceptionally loyal to Starwood for more than a decade. I once got the Presidential Suite at the Westin LAX on a $49 rate. The suite was 1500 ft sq and had two and one half bathrooms.

With few exceptions, domestic airlines offer precisely the same benefits you argue against. In fact, US/HP has, for some time now, offered a lesser product and program to their elite members relative to competition. That's the primary reason that hoardes of previously very loyal customers have simply walked away from the abysmal carrier that US/HP morphed into.

Yes, 85% of the US/HP employees are great, but Tempe has made it clear how they want to run this carrier and it's in the wrong direction if they're looking to entice business travellers.

Doc -- US/HP needs to do EVERYTHING it can to enhance its current offerings, not make reductions in their programs. If they take away much more, the only folks flying the airline will be ma and pa kettles flying to MCO with the grandkids.

<rant off>

I'll post again in six months. See ya then!

Last I checked load factors are way up and for this time of year, well lets just say I have never seen it.

Not so sure about that Doc. Try reading comprehension on for size next time you reply. Next time try answering the questions posed. If US didn't make any money off of the revenue premium generated by Frequent Flyers and Companies that buy miles do you honestly think a nickel and dime operation like US would bother?

I spent $198.78 at the Acme if you look at the receipt. If you take all of the "in Store Coupons, Buy one get one free, 10 for $10 and other promotions my cash out of pocket was $127.12 THEN they gave me $30.00 in "vouchers" for a net out of pocket of $97.12.

Maybe a discount but not free

OK let's try one last time for those who are thick as a brick.

• It's NOT a free upgrade!
  • It's part of a Loyalty Program! Just like the "SuperCard" at the Acme Market
  • Companies must keep pace with their competitors offerings
  • Airlines MAKE MONEY from Loyalty programs, during the dark days post 9/11 Loyalty Programs were the ONLY profitable part of the airline business.

So then the question Doc becomes, "If Airlines earn a significant profit from Loyalty Programs how exactly is my upgrade free?" I eagerly await your answer.
First Class does have a monetary value! Just how you administrate has always been the point in question for ALL. Who and when do you GIVE it out and how long do you hold out for some one to pay for it. And in what order and priority.. People entitled to free, space positive (generally first class), personal and vacation travel on US. people in this exclusive club, including a whole gaggle of current and retired executives, executives of other airlines, members and former members of the Board of Directors, and "director level" US Airways management…and their children and family members!
I’m no salesperson who trumps who in the scale of getting first class because of entitlement and/or future potential business

Don't worry - it's the company telling you (and the elites) that all those miles they fly entitles them to a free first class upgrade.

Jim
Were you entitle to first class when you use to jumpseat and there was a seat and first and coach why should jumpseat get first class and not a paying passengers Didn’t ALPA put this in your contact if so why

Were you entitle to first class when you use to jumpseat and there was a seat

Yes, at least for the last several years - just like F/A's as I understand it.

why should jumpseat get first class and not a paying passengers Didn’t ALPA put this in your contact if so why

They shouldn't and that wasn't part of the rules when J/S access to F/C was negotiated. Jumpseaters are only supposed to sit in F/C if there is an open seat available. They would be behind paid F/C, upgrades to F/C (free to elites or paid under the "Move Up" program), and non-revs who paid the fee to upgrade to F/C.

Yes, ALPA negotiated the benefit. Part of the reason was that other airlines offered that to our pilots riding their jumpseat and we wanted to be able to reciprocate. Part was the "If the seat is going to be open after those I listed above are all taken care of, what difference does it make if the J/S rides in F/C instead of coach." I assume that AFA used basically the same reasoning when they negotiated the same benefit for F/A's ridng J/S.

Jim

Latest posts