Layoffs in PIT, PHL

4THETIDE

Aug 29, 2002
There they go, already going below the head count numbers just released about a month back. I know one thing.....don't believe anything the company does, says or writes. They make all the rules now, or we loose our funding. The IAM and AFA pensions are gone not long after the pilots. I'm still waiting on my first severance check too. Good luck to all.

US Airways to lay off 189 in Pittsburgh, Philadelphia
US Airways has more layoffs planned for Pittsburgh and Philadelphia.
Money Center Updated:
January 29, 2003
The airline, which is operating under Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection, said in a filing with the state Bureau of Workforce Investment that it will lay off up to 106 mechanics and related workers at Pittsburgh International Airport. Another 83 employees are slated to lose their jobs in Philadelphia. US Airways said the layoffs are slated to begin around April 1.
The carrier said in the filing that the work force reductions are in addition to previously announced layoffs. The company has laid off about 5,000 since it filed for bankruptcy protection last August.
US Airways and the rest of the domestic air industry were hit hard by fallout from the events of Sept. 11, 2001. United Airlines also has sought relief under Chapter 11 of the U.S. Bankruptcy Code.
US Airways has negotiated more than $1 billion in annual wage and benefit concessions from its employee unions since August and is expecting to realize more than $1.6 billion in overall cost savings.
Earlier in January, the U.S. Bankruptcy Court in Arlington, Va., approved US Airways'' restructuring plan. The company must now get approval of the plan from a majority of its creditors. A hearing for final approval of the plan is scheduled for March 18.
US Airways, which is based in Arlington and is the dominant air carrier in Pittsburgh, plans to emerge from its reorganization by the end of March.

what workers in phila are being laid off?...mechanics?.....cust svc?....do u know?

I believe the last time someone said no more layoffs was, hmmmmm let me think. Lets ask the people in Tampa and Orlando.
I know the company wasn't lying then when Ms (@#$#@) came to Orlando and said you have nothing to worry about. Hmmmm I wonder if Ms wonderful is worried about her job now.

You guys keep you head held high because if you don't it will smother you

[blockquote]
----------------
On 1/29/2003 3:36:22 PM Robc98 wrote:

what workers in phila are being laid off?...mechanics?.....cust svc?....do u know?
----------------

Rob,

I don't think Customer Service will be affected because they are currently calling back part-timers.