IBEW Update

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tim Nelson

Veteran
Jan 5, 2003
Bartlett
www.usaviation.com
CLT Update: Over another 100 cards signed up in CLT as the organizing drive is picking up the anticipated steam we had figured it would. The Card counts will be updated early next week. The CLT committee has picked up many workers and is approaching 15-20 workers helping out.

PHL Update: The IAM Local Prez in PHL is in receipt of a letter trying to bypass the local to remove him since Parker's boy got his feelings hurt last month. Even though PHL signed 1500 IBEW cards already, the stream of cards picked up yesterday. May approach 1600 now.

The IBEW Organizing Committee website has a new link showing the IAM pension fund is seriously underfunded up to $200 million dollars. An independent site puts it seriously in the red.

Sometime this afternoon a new flyer will be posted spelling out the facts about the IAM pension plan. Remember, I was on the committee where the IAM economist told us the IAM pension fund was a 48.2 million concession. Imagine that, your 401k was a 48.2 greater benefit than what the IAM forced upon you.

IBEW Update

Station Card Count update

Contact the IBEW organizing committee and get your station involved. Click here

regards,

The plan summary which I posted the link to before is overfunded by almost $3 billion dollars.

Why are you posting misinformation?

As an I.A.M. member, you know that strength lies in numbers. The same holds true for the National Pension Plan. Our strength lies in these numbers:

Over 1,750 contributing employers
Over 71,000 retirees and beneficiaries
113,000 active participating members
Nearly $9 billion in assets

Plan Summary

Annual Report

So which is it?.....overfunded or underfunded.......Im just a curious CWA member who also wonders if this IAM pension plan is what it says it is going to do for all the IAM members. CWA took some heat for not having some sort of pension plan in our contract and i've seen arguments for and against this IAM pension as compared to the 401k. I would love to have a pension back for sure, lost mine back in early 90's, but CWA during negotiations said a pension like the IAM has was not possible for us. So im just wondering if this plan is on course to paying out to everyone as promised................

The plan summary which I posted the link to before is overfunded by almost $3 billion dollars.

Why are you posting misinformation?

As an I.A.M. member, you know that strength lies in numbers. The same holds true for the National Pension Plan. Our strength lies in these numbers:

Over 1,750 contributing employers
Over 71,000 retirees and beneficiaries
113,000 active participating members
Nearly $9 billion in assets

Plan Summary

Annual Report

700, kindly review your links, you spout off but I'm not even sure you read the links you provide.

The information I posted was from independent sources and info filed on form 550's. There is no lie and it is separate from my opinion.

I don't believe you actually read your link, or you don't know how to interpret it. Nonetheless, I will stick with your link and try to unpack it for you.

According to your link, the IAM sez it's overfunded based on its assets minus the amount its members are vested. This is equivalent to the rah rah speech and is not in any way an strong indicator of any pension's health. In this sense, you are correct. However, it would do serious harm to justice not to recognize the billions in liabilities. The most critical report is the Annual Funding notice, then the ERISA papers, then the IAM's own spin. Check your link, the current funding is actually worse than the 2005 one I posted. The AFN is now listed as now being only 89% funded. Yikes! The ERISA stipulations are now below 100% and are at 96%. 700 these are your own links and I agree they are accurate.
With pension funds, the key funding level that is used for pension health is the assets over liabilities. Do you follow this? Your IAM loyalist proudly proclaim the $9billion in assests against how much vesting obligations and leave out the critical Annual Funding notice report which is the true accurate measure of ANY pension. You can find the AFN 89% funding level on the link your provided. Please read your own links, and then know what they mean.

At any rate, to answer RobC, the IAM pension plan was a 48.2 million concession when we lost the 401k. It limited contributing payments from the company and the company was all to eager to get it.

More concerning is the amount of active participants who are flipping the bill for the IAM pension. According to the 2005, governmental form 550, only 36% of IAM Pension participants are contributing to the fund. This is like Social Security and a ticking time bomb. The information is objective and all info will be unpacked for the workers. It will be separate from 700's opinion and mine. The workers will decided once they see the truth of the matter.

As aside, the IBEW pension fund is over 700% funded and it's contributing members I believe represent over 70%. I'll have the numbers hopefully later this afternoon.

Going back to the IAM Pension. 700 sez strength lies in numbers. Go to the IAM National Pension Plan and see that there are no guarantees for the employees when you click 'employees'. It's subject to the same termination clauses as any other plan due to underfunding. However, click 'employers'. There you will see that employers are solicited to contribute and the IAM offers them full guarantees and releases them from obligations if the plan goes belly up like other Union pension plans have. At any rate, I'll try to have the flyer posted with the accompaning facts from independent sources and governmental sources.

Oh, one more. 700 mentions 113,000 as active participants. That's true but being in the IAM plan, i wanna know how many are 'active contributors'. Key word, contributors! The independent site which has the IAM 550 form info on it sez that ONLY 36% are active contributors. I got a problem with that guys! When only 1/3 of the participants who are entitled to some form of benefit are NOT contributing, it reminds me of social security. I believe Dog Wonder is one of those collecting if I remember his post correctly. IMO, Dog Wonder doesn't want to lose another 4% of those who are actually contributing to his own personal pension that I believe he is collecting already [if I heard him right].
Read what the Wall street journal sez about this stuff.

regards,

700, kindly review your links, you spout off but I'm not even sure you read the links you provide.

I believe Dog Wonder is one of those collecting if I remember his post correctly. IMO, Dog Wonder doesn't want to lose another 4% of those who are actually contributing to his own personal pension that I believe he is collecting already [if I heard him right].

While we are discussing links, where is the one on the IBEW website mentioning the 'ibew committee'?

Not sure where you heard I am collecting an IAM pension. You didn't hear it from me, because I am not.

My beef is with an alleged union attacking another union in pursuit of solidarity.

While we are discussing links, where is the one on the IBEW website mentioning the 'ibew committee'?

Not sure where you heard I am collecting an IAM pension. You didn't hear it from me, because I am not.

My beef is with an alleged union attacking another union in pursuit of solidarity.
If a union is doing a disservice to its members, what do you say a worker should do if they can't vote out the officers? You got any other ideas?

regards,

So which is it?.....overfunded or underfunded.......Im just a curious CWA member who also wonders if this IAM pension plan is what it says it is going to do for all the IAM members. CWA took some heat for not having some sort of pension plan in our contract and i've seen arguments for and against this IAM pension as compared to the 401k. I would love to have a pension back for sure, lost mine back in early 90's, but CWA during negotiations said a pension like the IAM has was not possible for us. So im just wondering if this plan is on course to paying out to everyone as promised................
Actually based on 700's newer link, the plan is still reporting an underfunding in the hundreds of millions. $9 billion in assests that are divided over approx. $9.3 billion in liabilities results in the still current 97% funding of the ERISA documents. Yikes!

regards,

I guess you are now a pension expert?

I just was in contact with a plan actuary and he stated the plan is 100%+ funded.

Don't let the facts get in your way.

Go read the links I posted, those are documents filed with the Federal Government.

IAM Pension Plan

2006 form 5500 data has not been release yet from the DOL.
I have requested a copy through the Freedom of Information Act just for
giggles. Because the 2006 form5500 data is not available online, I will refer to
available figures from 2005.
Remember assets divided by liability is perhaps the single best indicator of your plan's health.

Actuarial Value of Assets = 6.5 Billion

Current Liability = 6.7 Billion
---------------------------------
Assets/ Liability = 97%

According to the numbers it is Underfunded!

Tim is correct in his assessment of the presentation of the figures by the IAM Pension Fund.
The links you provide do not supply the form5500 data and are
SPIN
It does not show that it, like Social Security, will eventually go broke with the current figures.
It seems that we are funding the Pension moneys of the currently retired. Will the money be
there when we retire? Thats the question.

Its hard to comprehend 59,000,000 in administrative expenses in a years time.

Mr. Nelson, thank you for starting the new thread. Now before this gets out of hand. It's ok to debate the topic. It is NOT ok to name call & personal attack another. So remember stick to the rules or do not post. There are folks in the cornfield with plenty of room. Thanks in advance for your help.

700 You know what’s funny? You started out the IAM pension plan by the IAM as reported to the gov. [post 4] Then on post 9 you say you spoke to someone with the plan. Could it be you are just relying on the IAM and not the facts you claim to share? The problem is you drink way too much of the kool-aid the IAM is serving! The sad thing is you provided the links and were shown how you didn't read it. Do you homework before you bring stuff out it may prevent you from a battle of wits where you actually have provided you opponent with artillery! Look if you love the IAM so much that is ok but leave us alone. We actually want things to get better for the group!
The sad thing is you are being brainwashed by people who will drop you in a minute if it meant they could have another convention in Hawaii!

So you are saying that because the IAM Pension is 'underfunded' by 3% everyone should get up in arms? You do realize how much fluctuation can take place in the market in anyone time? Heck just yesterday the market was down 2.8%.

Sound the alarm when it gets to be truly underfunded, and please stop with the alarmist whistles.

So you are saying that because the IAM Pension is 'underfunded' by 3% everyone should get up in arms? You do realize how much fluctuation can take place in the market in anyone time? Heck just yesterday the market was down 2.8%.

Sound the alarm when it gets to be truly underfunded, and please stop with the alarmist whistles.

NO, good spin though,

Just countering the 3 Billion overfunded claim by a poster.

Thanks,

NO, good spin though,

Just countering the 3 Billion overfunded claim by a poster.

Thanks,

And he was wrong for saying that. No pension would ever be overfunded by that large a sum of money (if they are they need a waiver from ERISA) I do not care who you are, you only fund what you need, because once the money goes in, there are rules on how you get it out. The IAM Pension is funded accordingly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts