LGA Base Closing?

I seem to remember a Dash-8 from PHL-JFK to feed BA during the days of the partnership with them. I might be wrong on the aircraft type, maybe it was a Shorts. :shock:
We definitely flew the DC-9 into JFK during the BA partnership. Also remember a flight from JFK-MCO? Not certain but sounds familiar..

Unless US cuts eliminates BOS and LGA as focus and drops the shuttle, I don't think either one is in danger of being eliminated. The number of airplanes that RON in those two cities is pretty high, and they are both very expensive places to layover crews. I cannot imagine it costs the company that much to maintain the base there if they do a cost-analysis with laying over crews. Same goes for DCA.

I totally could see US trying to get more bang for the buck and negotiating for a tri-base of LGA/EWR/JFK -- virtually eliminating all NYC area overnights. For those who don't think there is a "need" for this, consider DCA/IAD. US hardly has any flights out of IAD, but they are still worked by DCA crews.

The only problem with a tri base to eliminate layovers is that we have hub layovers. In PHL we layover in every other base and vice versa for other bases. I have asked the question for years as to why I layover in CLT so much, as it is a HUB. A waste of money as far as I'm concerned, but they keep laying us over in different bases.

We definitely flew the DC-9 into JFK during the BA partnership. Also remember a flight from JFK-MCO? Not certain but sounds familiar..
US operated a daily JFK-MCO flight as part of a code share agreement with All Nippon. At the same time we offered daily JFK-PIT and JFK-CLT on the DC9 and 737-200 and to BWI on the DH8. As part of the alliance with BA in the 90s US operated a DH8 from DCA-JFK as a feeder flight for the 2 daily Concorde flights from JFK-LHR. Those DH8s had a capacity of 37 but could only be booked to 19. Everyone got a free seat next to them.

Today JFK has non stop service to CLT,LAS,PHX

I did not miss DAY in my list. DAY was never a crew base for Piedmont or USAir. It was a Piedmont hub.

I did miss MIA, though. It was a Piedmont F-28 crew base for the very successful and profitable Florida Shuttle. (At least it was successful and profitable until USAir got their claws into it. Now, SWA has the very successful and profitable Florida Shuttle.)

Also, I missed WW, i.e. Wonderful Wilmington....ILM. The most senior crew base on the system. (Never understood the attraction, but my avatar probably explains that. Whatever trips your trigger, I suppose.)

I did not miss DAY in my list. DAY was never a crew base for Piedmont or USAir. It was a Piedmont hub.

I did miss MIA, though. It was a Piedmont F-28 crew base for the very successful and profitable Florida Shuttle. (At least it was successful and profitable until USAir got their claws into it. Now, SWA has the very successful and profitable Florida Shuttle.)

Also, I missed WW, i.e. Wonderful Wilmington....ILM. The most senior crew base on the system. (Never understood the attraction, but my avatar probably explains that. Whatever trips your trigger, I suppose.)